Thread: Motor & ESC info

Default Motor & ESC info

I've built a 51" model ship that requires dual motors and an ESC to drive them. Looking for both items part nos and manufacturer, maybe even a source. Brushed or brushless motors will do. Any recommendations?

ted3

No one can answer your question without more information.

What kind of “ship”? Trawler? Freighter? Tanker? Warship?
    What is the ship’s scale?
    What is the desired speed for your ship?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    No one can answer your question without more information.

What kind of ?ship?? Trawler? Freighter? Tanker? Warship?
    What is the ship?s scale?
    What is the desired speed for your ship?

The ship is a warship 51" long. USS Crockett from Dumas Products. The real ship max speed is 50 knots, obviously I'm not looking to go that fast just a healthy, impressive speed to make onlookers say "WOW!". Dumas only has very expensive brushed-motors so I thought why not go brushless for a change and equivalent cost. Propellers are 2". My biggest concern is an ESC that will push 2 brushless motors...

You could ask Steve at OSE, he is a wealth of help on combinations for all types of hulls !

Running 2 brushed motors with one speed control is very easy. Never seen it done with brushless motors. Not saying it can't be done, but LOTS of twin motor setups out there running dual speed controls. Going to take fairly large brushless motors with extremely low KV to turn your 2" props and keep it slow enough to not blow your boat out of the water. You could run smaller brushless motors with a gear reduction box. MACK marine models has a selection of them. Probably other vendors as well. I don't think brushless running direct is going to work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by paulejr View Post
    You could ask Steve at OSE, he is a wealth of help on combinations for all types of hulls !
    Steve is the one who told me to try this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    Running 2 brushed motors with one speed control is very easy. Never seen it done with brushless motors. Not saying it can't be done, but LOTS of twin motor setups out there running dual speed controls. Going to take fairly large brushless motors with extremely low KV to turn your 2" props and keep it slow enough to not blow your boat out of the water. You could run smaller brushless motors with a gear reduction box. MACK marine models has a selection of them. Probably other vendors as well. I don't think brushless running direct is going to work out well.
    My mistake on the prop size, they are 1.5". I have been advised elsewhere that 2 small brushless motors each with its own ESC and LiPos will be required. Comments? Advice, please.

Thats funny, when i fried my 36 AVL hydro motor he came up with a recommendation for a another motor and ESC... and I bought it with out hesitation and have yet to install as my health is not very good right now..
    Quote Originally Posted by ted3 View Post
    Steve is the one who told me to try this forum!

You really want to go with brushed motors on a scale build. One reasonably inexpensive option would be to buy a couple of cheap 18v cordless drills and rob the motors out of them and run them on 12 v. You can use esc's like the Hobbywing 1060 or 1080 with cooling fans on. These are used in crawlers and other low load cars and will run a 3s lipo and are pretty cheap.
    Alternatively for motors would be search through car wreckers for heater fan motors. They are reasonably torquey but low current draw.

Brushless motors are less effective for scale applications like this, but if you go brushless then you would want some low kv outrunners, perhaps around 5-600 kv. You can at least run them on 90-150A esc's like the OSE Raider and can get the right scale speed by changing your lipo cell count 2,3,4,5 or 6 cell.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Scale speed is a touch under 10MPH if that helps
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.