Thread: First boat build HELP!

Default First boat build HELP!

First, I did read the sticky at the top about new comer builds, however I do not have a thread started for my build, so I figured I would start here first.

Second, My name is Sean and I am new to boats. Been into on land RC for a few years now, from crawlers, to sportsman mudboss racing, to X-Maxx bashing, so I know the hobby a little and do a lot of my own designs in Fusion 360 and 3D print them such as stands, parts, accessories and so on. However, I am totally new to boats, so much that I have been watching videos for 3 days straight just learning the parts!

My story: I did a cooling shroud design for a guy for RC bashers and in exchange for the design, he gave me this boat kit he had laying around that was never built. Well I got it, knew nothing, so it also sat for 2 years at my house. I now want to build it and not sure where to start!

What I have:
    - 26" Deep V Hull from I think LittoHot
    - SeaKing 90a 3s-6s ESC
    - TFL Stinger
    - A single inlet rudder
    - Misc. parts, pieces and hardware

I understand the basic concept of how everything goes together as far as the large picture such as esc, motor, receiver, but I dont know the detailed install of what to do, how to do it, where to do it. For example, how far off center and how far down should a rudder hang?

I know I cannot possibly learn all of this at once, but I am hoping I can document my build and get some input from you guys and girls that have built a few boats.

My first step, I think, is to drill a hole for my stuffing tube. If that is not correct, please let me know. Otherwise, do I just find the center, high enough to clear the bottom of the boat but as low as possible? What is my first step?

Thank you in advance for your expertise and assistance!IMG_6433.jpgIMG_6430.JPGIMG_5289.jpg

it doesnt really matter if the stinger is as low as possible. I actually moved mine up on a hull like that so the keel rides lower in the water and is more stable. since your stinger is adjustable you will be able to tune the hull either way. I would mount the rudder so that its in line with the push rod off the servo just so I dont have to do in weird bends. its not really that critical with turn fins. look at other boats and get an idea.

90a isnt enough, frankly. it will work ok but I got a 27" mono that pulls 125-145a on 4s with a 2300kv motor. wire the boat with 10awg and EC5. Go ahead and skip learning about desoldering and overheating wires.

ironclad RC has about the most in depth videos on doing this I know of. spend a few days combing over his stuff as he goes deep into building from a bare hull.

Thank you Bande1! So Steve at offshoreelectrics recommended a motor for me that would work with that ESC, but you suggest ditching it and just getting a motor/esc combo together then?

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeck58 View Post
    Thank you Bande1! So Steve at offshoreelectrics recommended a motor for me that would work with that ESC, but you suggest ditching it and just getting a motor/esc combo together then?

any motor will work with the ESC. Its just going to be limited to 90A. If you already purchased it just run it and dont worry about it. ive seen boats go fast with them. The 150A are only $10 more so that's what I always go with.

Finally making progress (I think) thanks to everyone' help!

I have the stinger and rudder mocked up, drilled and mounted temporarily. I have the stuffing tube in and I think bent sufficiently, but until I get my motor (today), I wont truly know.

Questions:

1. Does this bend and approximate motor location look acceptable?
    2. Are my next steps appropriate?
    a. mount motor to determine final location and angle
    b. cut stuffing tube to correct length with coupler on motor
    c. epoxy in stuffing tube and silicone and screw on stinger and rudder
    d. epoxy in motor mounts
    e. determine location for servo, epoxy in, drill hole lined up with rudder

There is much more to do after, but baby steps for me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good to me.