Thread: OSE Raider 150 Esc with Ec5 Question

Default OSE Raider 150 Esc with Ec5 Question

Still a newbie here, but I love the learning! A year ago I didn't know what an ESC was and 6 months ago I didn't know how easy it is to burn up the electronics! LOL.

I need to replace the ESC on my Proboat SonicWake V2. I'm thinking about getting the OSE Raider 150 with Ec5 connectors, but I have some questions......

* Will this work for my otherwise stock SonicWake?
    * Will it bolt right on or will I need to purchase a mounting plate of some kind?
    * Will the connectors as installed on the ESC fit the stock Sonic or will I need to purchase and install different connectors?
    * Will this ESC be able to handle a bigger (more powerful) motor if I should ever want to upgrade?

Thank you in advance!

1. just use double sided tape to mount it anywhere it fits.
    2. you should be running at least EC5 on your batteries and ESC at minimum. all the different connectors have different current they can handle. EC3 and deans are 60A. XT90 are 90amp. EC5 are 120A. so EC5 are actually too small. they will work but will get hot cause your boat will use all 150A when you start getting into the 50mph+ range. EC8 or QS8 are able to handle up to 200A and would be the ideal choice for you.
    3. The ESC can handle about 3000w continuous. So a 4092 on 6s would be its limit.

Great ESC for the money. I have one in my SW v2. For mounting, I used a small, square piece of lexan (about the size of the ESC). The factory ESC bolted flat on 3 posts. You can cut the lexan to size, and then mark the 3 hole locations and drill them out. I then just used VHB (double sided sticky tape) to mount the ESC to the plate. Came out pretty clean. Or you can check out MadLizardProducts.com, he offers a mount plate for the v2.

I believe the OSE Raider comes with the correct bullet connectors to just drop right in, but someone else will need to verify. You can always desolder the connectors from your blown ESC in a pinch.

I found the 150 esc more powerful than the stock 120.

Thanks guys! I ordered one last night!

I received my OSE Raider 150, but unfortunately the connectors for the new ESC are too big for the stock SonicWake motor. What should I do? Is there an adapter that will work?

As a side point, I also discovered that I'll need an EC5 series cable adapter in order to use 2 3S batteries. With the ESC out of the box, you'll either have to run 1 4S battery or 1 6S. Just an FYI if you'll be ordering it.

PS, the shipping was SO FAST using OSE!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipLewis View Post
    I received my OSE Raider 150, but unfortunately the EC5 connectors for the new ESC are too big for the stock SonicWake motor. What should I do? Is there an adapter that will work?

As a side point, I also discovered that I'll need an EC5 series cable adapter in order to use 2 3S batteries. With the ESC out of the box, you'll either have to run 1 4S battery or 1 6S. Just an FYI if you'll be ordering it.

PS, the shipping was SO FAST using OSE!
    EC5 dont go to motors. They're for batteries. Motors have bullet connectors. go order EC5 connectors and convert everything over to them by soldering them onto the batteries and ESC. Also order the proper size bullet connectors to the motor that match what came on the OSE raider. Which is 6mm.

You can get them overnight from amazon usually if you dont want to wait. Hopefully you have a decent soldering station and good solder. such as Kester 63/47 .080. You need to have good solder for boats because they will desolder joints from sheer heat. Which is why you need to upgrade everything you have to EC5 and 6mm bullet.

6mm bullets

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ose-6mm-bullet

series cable

https://www.amazon.com/Wmzjnljy-Conn...s%2C235&sr=8-5
    Last edited by Bande1; 08-02-2023 at 05:55 PM.

Yes you are so correct. EC5 doesn't go from ESC to the motor. My mistake. Thank you for the info! I'll be ordering the 6mm tonight. Can't wait to get back on the water!

I think I misunderstood what you were saying in your last reply. With the link you provided on the 6mm bullets, are you saying I should cut off the 5mm and replace/solder with 6mm or are you saying that the linked 6mm bullets are an adapter between 5mm and 6mm? I cannot solder so for now I was hoping that there is an adapter that I can put between the 5mm motor and the 6mm ESC.

I think I misunderstood what you were saying in your last reply. With the link you provided on the 6mm bullets, are you saying I should cut off the 5mm and replace/solder with 6mm or are you saying that the linked 6mm bullets are an adapter between 5mm and 6mm? I cannot solder so for now I was hoping that there is an adapter that I can put between the 5mm motor and the 6mm ESC.
    IDK if an adapter exists. In this hobby its a really good idea to get a soldering station.

Alright thank you so much for the help, Bande1. I might go back to a stock ESC for now but maybe a hobby shop will have someone who can solder and if not, I'll have to learn how for when I build my first boat! Thanks again!

Alright thank you so much for the help, Bande1. I might go back to a stock ESC for now but maybe a hobby shop will have someone who can solder and if not, I'll have to learn how for when I build my first boat! Thanks again!
    get youself a $20 soldering iron and just practice. its not that hard. watch some youtube videos. the key is getting good solder and cleaning the tip very well. it makes it much easier.

The more adapters you use, the greater resistance you create from the additional connectors and wiring, causing things to get even hotter and desolder even easier

Soldering is a skill that is a must for any serious modeler, and there are tons of YT video tutorials to get you going. You want big bullets, and as few connectors as possible within the wiring
    Last edited by Xrayted; 08-06-2023 at 08:06 AM.