Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sss vs leopard motors

Default sss vs leopard motors

looks like the SSS have higher output? are they better?

the SSS motor is a good motor , if you see the spec SSS has more power

sss better than tp of the same size?

what i found out a TP is a better motor but it is close ,but a TP is more rpm stable

TP is overrating the figures a bit. Think of them as speed run figures not long oval lapping figures. reduce them by 20% for that. same probably applies to SSS. its kinda a marketing gimmick. TP seems a bit cheaper than SSS so I run TP. I like the look, kv options, and can size a bit more so thats what I buy.
    Last edited by Bande1; 07-23-2023 at 08:26 AM.

TPs are the better motor. They are the best China motor that I have worked on. And a Tenshock is a good second. These two are better , in my opinion, simply because they use the better higher temperature wire for the windings (200*C vs 155*C). I would rate Leopards a notch above the SSS line, but not by a large margin. I base my statements on what I have seen by running all of these different motors and taking apart a couple thousand of them.

TPs watt rating gives you a peak "BURST" rating and a lower continuous rating. And I have exceeded both several times. I have some 3660 motors that have pulled 4500 watts repeatedly, but only for a few seconds at a time.

It's hard to compare motors going solely by the specs, because there is no standard way for the manufactures to describe their motors. A 4060 TP has a 40mm diameter and 92mm long can, the 60 is the length of the rotor! A 4092 SSS and Leopard, describes the can size only, and you have no idea of how long the guts are. A tenshoch 2240 motor describes the diameter and length of the rotor, and tells you nothing about the can. Weight is another way to compare, but again some of them are gonna lie about this too and include the connectors and the box it come in as part of the weight.
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

Looking at the spec and weight of the 4092 motors you would think the sss is better than tp or leopard?

no a TP 4060 out perform a SSS4092 but it will pull more amps, and weight wise the are about the same

Quote Originally Posted by tjsb View Post
    Looking at the spec and weight of the 4092 motors you would think the sss is better than tp or leopard?
    the difference between TP's 4060 3kw rating and an SSS or Leopards ~2600w can be slightly more wet hull or rough water. 400w is a tiny difference. My TP 4070 runs 140f at 3kw after 60 seconds. its rated for 3850w. so running either of those near their claimed limit for a long period gets them quite warm. Running 6s at 3kw is going to start melting solder joints and requires 8awg. Its also more than cheap lipos can really put out before they drop below 3.2v. SMC's can do it but amazon specials struggle.

besides speed runs if you plan to get your boat beyond about 2,500w on 6s continuously you should move to higher voltage and a next size larger motor (and lower KV) anyway. its marginally more cost and your parts will run so much cooler. There's no sense trying to play in the margins for tiny performance differences.

for example pulling 3kw on 6s will be a real world 150A
    going to 8s with a KV to match your 6s RPM will pull about 110A. Much more realistic for most batteries.
    Go bigger - 4070 1090kv 8s
    Last edited by Bande1; 07-23-2023 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fararef View Post
    The IMPBA events have always been a breeding ground for cutting-edge advancements in boat design, and this year will likely be no exception. Spectators can look forward to seeing the latest innovations in hull design, engine technology, and aerodynamics.
    Next topic. How to instantly recognize a spam/scam account using chat GPT for all its replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Next topic. How to instantly recognize a spam/scam account using chat GPT for all its replies.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer the question you originally asked, or your follow-up question...but, having been a member of this forum for a while, and having read the posts from many long-term members, I can tell you this:

Of all the comments in this thread, I'd trust what donhuff says more than what any others said. Not trying to put any other comments 'down'...but, of those who've commented so far, I'd estimate he is probably the most knowledgeable.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer the question you originally asked, or your follow-up question...but, having been a member of this forum for a while, and having read the posts from many long-term members, I can tell you this:

Of all the comments in this thread, I'd trust what donhuff says more than what any others said. Not trying to put any other comments 'down'...but, of those who've commented so far, I'd estimate he is probably the most knowledgeable.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    had a 30 year boat veteran put a 2315 3 blade prop on a 1390kv leopard on 8s because it was what worked on his boat. Had another swear that bending the tips of a prop causes it to throw a tighter thrust cone and thus lifts the transom higher. Another swore that when you go up in battery voltage you have to go up in prop size because higher voltage = more torque. And still another veteran argued on the phone at the lake with castle creations tech support for 45 minutes that LVC should never be more than 3.0v or you are "wasting your battery."

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    had a 30 year boat veteran put a 2315 3 blade prop on a 1390kv leopard on 8s because it was what worked on his boat. Had another swear that bending the tips of a prop causes it to throw a tighter thrust cone and thus lifts the transom higher. Another swore that when you go up in battery voltage you have to go up in prop size because higher voltage = more torque. And still another veteran argued on the phone at the lake with castle creations tech support for 45 minutes that LVC should never be more than 3.0v or you are "wasting your battery."
    I highly doubt the battery voltage/prop size thing you mention...you had to have either misunderstood, is you got that from someone else who misunderstood. Same goes for your final point...what you state there doesn't make any sense, even to someone with almost no knowledge. As for your first point, all I can say is, if that's what worked for him, them that's what worked for him...and, since you provided no info on the boat, itself, it IS possible.

As for motors brands, having spoken with numerous others, I personally know MANY of them have tested different motors, and can confirm that, of the three (SSS, Leopard, & TP), TP has consistently proven to be the best in "real world" use (ie. not 'specs', which can be fill of lies, thus completely meaningless)...especially the upper-tier motors. The reason most tend to go with SSS & Leopard is that, for the most part, they cost less. From my own personal experience, both brands are still very good (SSS is actually made by TFL)...I trust both in my recreational boats, and have used both in one of my three race boats (that boat is currently running an SSS). I will mention that, in that particular boat, I didn't like the Leopard, which is why I returned it back to SSS.

Regarding 'specs', for the most part, ALL companies lie to some degree. It doesn't matter if you're taking motors, ESCs, batteries, servos, etc...the numbers they publish are NEVER 100% 'truth'. As someone already mentioned, published numbers tend to be a "marketing gimmick". Additionally, 'numbers' published tend to be from testing done under "perfectly ideal" considering, not "real world" conditions...in the "real world", nothing is ever "perfectly ideal". Plus, since no two units are completely identical, you could test 10 of the exact same motor, servo, etc, and get up to 10 different results.

We live in an imperfect world...so, you should expect everything in life to be 'imperfect'.

post #6 all you need to know

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I highly doubt the battery voltage/prop size thing you mention...you had to have either misunderstood, is you got that from someone else who misunderstood. Same goes for your final point...what you state there doesn't make any sense, even to someone with almost no knowledge. As for your first point, all I can say is, if that's what worked for him, them that's what worked for him...and, since you provided no info on the boat, itself, it IS possible.

As for motors brands, having spoken with numerous others, I personally know MANY of them have tested different motors, and can confirm that, of the three (SSS, Leopard, & TP), TP has consistently proven to be the best in "real world" use (ie. not 'specs', which can be fill of lies, thus completely meaningless)...especially the upper-tier motors. The reason most tend to go with SSS & Leopard is that, for the most part, they cost less. From my own personal experience, both brands are still very good (SSS is actually made by TFL)...I trust both in my recreational boats, and have used both in one of my three race boats (that boat is currently running an SSS). I will mention that, in that particular boat, I didn't like the Leopard, which is why I returned it back to SSS.

Regarding 'specs', for the most part, ALL companies lie to some degree. It doesn't matter if you're taking motors, ESCs, batteries, servos, etc...the numbers they publish are NEVER 100% 'truth'. As someone already mentioned, published numbers tend to be a "marketing gimmick". Additionally, 'numbers' published tend to be from testing done under "perfectly ideal" considering, not "real world" conditions...in the "real world", nothing is ever "perfectly ideal". Plus, since no two units are completely identical, you could test 10 of the exact same motor, servo, etc, and get up to 10 different results.

We live in an imperfect world...so, you should expect everything in life to be 'imperfect'.

at IMPBA district race yesterday we talked with the points champ. He told us he quit using TP because he burned them up and uses SSS now. He said TP packs too much internals into the can not leaving enough free space for cooling.

IMG_20230923_145652.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    at IMPBA district race yesterday we talked with the points champ. He told us he quit using TP because he burned them up and uses SSS now. He said TP packs too much internals into the can not leaving enough free space for cooling.

IMG_20230923_145652.jpg
    Paging Dr. Huff. Please report to the drivers' lounge.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    post #6 all you need to know
    You mean, post #5? Post #6 is just another question from the Op.

Ron Farcus,

I just got home after driving 3608 miles across the middle of the US. I'll try to respond tomorrow, but right now I'm gonna drink my Jim Beam and Coke, sit back and relax. See ya'll later.
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
    Ron Farcus,

I just got home after driving 3608 miles across the middle of the US. I'll try to respond tomorrow, but right now I'm gonna drink my Jim Beam and Coke, sit back and relax. See ya'll later.
    OMG, what a time you must have had. Been following the news on U-tube. Ready to send a couple of motors, I'll start packing.

Personally, I'm a Canadian Club Old Fashioned guy. On number one right now.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Something I have just found is that TP is the only company to build large high kv motors.There 3650 is 36 x 84 at 3850kv or 5600kv why call it a 3650?.The other motor company's dont have motors this large at these kv numbers so they cant come close to there power.Am I missing something here?

Thanks Tom

Tom,

This is an area of confusion that every motor buyer has to deal with. There is NO standard for how the different motor brands describe the dimensions of their motors. Even though probably 80% of all the motors made, are made in one building in Hong Kong, it seems to be left up to the motor wholesaler how they are going to describe their motors.

For TP 36mm is the diameter of the case, and 50 is the length of the rotor

Leopard, SSS, and several others say 3660. That's the diameter of the case, and the length of the case. The rotor might be only 30mm long (SSS) 32mm long (Leopard) 35mm long (dynamite 2000)

Then Tenshock has a 38mm diameter motor case but they describe it as 2240, That's the actual rotor diameter and length. Lehner does it this way also. This is the most valid way to describe it in my opinion.

A lot of the non name brand motors sell you a lot of AIR. They'll have a big case, with short internals in it, and very inflated specks too.

If a motor is cheap, there's usually a reason for it, Air is CHEAP!
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

Tom,

About the high KVs offered by TP. They are trying to make motors available to whom ever wants one, for whatever the application. Most of the other companies offer the most useful kv for the most typical applications, ie cars ,boats, and airplanes. And for the most popular voltages 4,6,8,10,12

Tp has more higher kvs that will work better with 2S (8volts) And Lehner, has more kv options than you can count!
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post

Leopard, SSS, and several others say 3660. That's the diameter of the case, and the length of the case. The rotor might be only 30mm long (SSS) 32mm long (Leopard) 35mm long (dynamite 2000)

A lot of the non name brand motors sell you a lot of AIR. They'll have a big case, with short internals in it, and very inflated specks too.

If a motor is cheap, there's usually a reason for it, Air is CHEAP!
    note the TP 3630 is a 3660 case with a 30mm rotor.

So the TP motor 3650 3850kv was not any faster then my amazon 3650 4000kv.The motor didnt heat up at all but pulled a ton of amps?Did I get to large of a motor for a 2s rigger?

Thanks for the info

Tom

TP 3650 is a lot bigger than I would fit in a 2s rigger, a TP 2935 4970Kv is more my style (i switched to 3s before TP gained popularity as the class i race in started allowing 2s or 3s with the same battery energy, and the higher voltage is a little more efficient, so my last 2s boat was a modded JAE.12 with a leopard 2860 5200Kv); but I won't say its wrong, if your 2s rigger is a lot bigger and heavier than mine were, possibly with 2s2p and you have a stock of props for 4-6s boats, it might be well suited to you.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thanks

After some more testing this is what I think of this tp motor.All things the same in my 3s rigger the tp motor has alot more power than the amazon 3670 3050kv motor,with the same prop they ran the same speed but the tp motor pulls about 30% more ampage.The tp will handle a bigger prop for more speed than the amazon motor but run time is cut in half.It is a good time trial motor.I would like to know if the smaller tp motors would run the same way or do they all pull a ton of amps?

Also where can I buy leopard and sss motors?

Also where can I buy leopard and sss motors?
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/ca...php?cat=Motors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast