Thread: Salt Water bath?

Default Salt Water bath?

Lots of packs to euthanize and I am curious as to how much salt to use to kill some packs. How many packs can I soak in this one bath and how do you dispose of the water after?

Any other info is appreciated. I use my discharger and ISDT Q8 charger to bring them down to zero. The charger has a neat "KILL" funciton.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I always just charge them fully then put in a bucket of diesel soaked ammonium nitrate use for target practice.

LOL, Thanks for making me laugh
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray cut the power wires off of them also the balance wires. (one at a time)

If you don't have a use for them - give them to me.

Cover with water and about 1/2 cup of salt, let sit for a week the into the garbage.

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 07-21-2023 at 09:33 PM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Somewhere I read a pound of salt for 2 to 2&1/2 gallons of water. DO as Truckpull says, and cut the wires off. I have done as many as 3 at a time, in a 5 gallon paint bucket. If you buy the salt " Mortons " the containers at the
    supermarket are 1 lb. I flush the used water down the toilet.

I just hook up a automotive headlight bulb to the mains, and go leave it in the driveway on the concrete for a little while. Drains them right down. Haven't had one do anything during that other than puff and swell a lot.

That’s what I do as well. I use two old-fashioned automotive headlight bulbs wired in series. That will drain them down to zero, and the packs will puff right as they hit that zero mark, but they have no energy left and are inert at this point so nothing to worry about with the puffing

The salt water bath is actually a misused myth that has been passed around for years. If you read the document where that concept originated from, the instructions are to put them in the salt water bath only AFTER they have been fully drained.

Placing Lipo‘s in a salt water bath causes the cells tab connecting them together to be eroded away relatively quickly, meaning you may or may not get a voltage reading on the mains anymore, however, the cells still have plenty of energy left in them and are not inert from the salt water bath alone

Saltwater is an old thing that just won't die. It's silly to waste the salt.
    Discharge with a lightbulb or load, as per above, and just throw them away. I always twist the leads together once they are empty.

Saltwater is as useful as blinker fluid.

Lol.... lots of info here, thanks!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Run them down with your discharger, Cut the wires off, if you want proof that the salt water works.
    Slice the coating on the cells. so that the foil on each is split open, to let the water into the cells. When the saltwater soaks in, they will start to bubble.

This is killing any type of power left in the cells.
    Let them sit for a week.
    To do multiple cells, use 1/2 cup.

Larry

Slicing alone will do that, no saltwater needed. Not needed if you discharge them to zero. Waste of time and effort but it will make bubbles.

Advice taken..

Q: Eight year old Revo cells, 6S Puffed, 6.6mO per cell, Should I kill them?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Advice taken..

Q: Eight year old Revo cells, 6S Puffed, 6.6mO per cell, Should I kill them?
    How badly? Photo?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    How badly? Photo?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I'm destroying them, one down for now. Too puffy. I'll try to get a pic before I kill the second pack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I'm destroying them, one down for now. Too puffy. I'll try to get a pic before I kill the second pack.
    If they're not overly-puffy...particularly 2S & 3S...I usually hold onto them, for testing new ESCs & motors when installing them. But, those ones never leave the house - they stay right near my RC workstation.

I went through all my 4S packs. 2 out of 10 were crap so I can use the rest for sport running and testing. So far I have 4 packs discharged and shorted out, outside. When I get some salt Ican finish them off.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Might as well use pepper to go with it, has the same effect.
    This salt myth is truly hard to kill.
    If they are discharged, there is nothing else that will change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jkflow View Post
    Might as well use pepper to go with it, has the same effect.
    This salt myth is truly hard to kill.
    If they are discharged, there is nothing else that will change anything.
    If this is true, Why did my pack, that I discharged to Zero, Cut open and sliced each cell with an exato knife.
    Puff all cells when put in salt water for 4 days? They also pissed a white foam on top of the water.

Larry

[QUOTE=TRUCKPULL;769324They also pissed a white foam on top of the water.[/QUOTE]

That was the meringue, for the pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    That was the meringue, for the pie.

Simple chemical reaction between the materials and salt water, but other than foaming, what did it actually do beside make a mess?
    Answer = nothing.

I can't make you stop what you are doing, but please understand that it does nothing to the lipo that will make it 'better' or 'safer' or whatever the myth is out there.
    Only trying to educate.
    Salt water as a 'solution' came about in the early lipo days as the conductivity helped discharge the lipo, that is easier accomplished by a simple resistor/light bulb.

If there is no reaction when you slice the cells open it's already chemically neutral, it will still oxidize, which is normal and yes it will be faster if you submerge but doesn't accomplish anything useful.

Convince me otherwise. Bubbles or white foam accomplish what?

Convince me otherwise. Bubbles or white foam accomplish what?
    If it wasn't obvious (and, I can't see how anyone could have thought otherwise), my "meringue" comment was meant as a joke...as in, lemon meringue pie. It's called, "having a sense of humor".

Sorry, didn't mean to quote you but the one right above

Sorry, didn't mean to quote you but the one right above