Thread: Need some help - stealthwake erratic behavior

Default Need some help - stealthwake erratic behavior

How crucial is it to have a rigid stuffing tube (no stinger or strut) be EXACTLY square to your transom? I ask because mine is MAYBE a hair off from 90deg?

This is on a stealthwake that I went brushless with a couple years ago and ran 2 and 3s without issue. (Stock shaft and prop). My stuffing tube bushings were shot so I tried out a wire drive setup a friend did to his with success. I tried to copy the stock angle and length of the tube. Since then I cannot get it to behave and run well. I tried a new, larger rudder, new servo, different props, tons of tuning, but it?s just not helping. My latest issue is if I run the trim tabs level, it runs way too dry and unstable. If I drop them to the point where the boat runs wet, it will randomly make left hand turn loops (it did 4 30? loops yesterday) and then Randomly just go straight again, all with me not touching the wheel. What could cause this ?turn left for 45sec and now go straight? behavior?

I dont have any experience with that specific boat, but the angle of the stinger and the prop coming out of the transom is crucial and millimeters matter. The stinger on your boat doesnt look to be adjustable from the factory from pics, however tilting that up/down on boats that do use adjustable stingers is exactly how we determine the ride attitude of the boat.

A tiny bit of upward tilt of the stinger/prop vs the transom will cause the bow of the boat to lift, and the boat run less wet. Conversely, tilting it downward vs the transom causes the bow to be driven down more level and the boat run more wet. Depending on the boat, 1-2 mm adjustment either way can make a big difference in how the boat handles at speed

Thanks X-rayted. I know I?m off maybe by a degree vs the stock one (my setup looks just like the stock one, except it?s wire drive). But I meant If it?s just a hair pointed to the left or right would that throw everything out of whack

Wait, so you are saying your stinger is crooked R or L if viewed from above the model? That needs to be straight, otherwise the boat will never run true. Its like having a little bit of rudder trim in one direction at all times trying to turn the boat instead of going straight.

Potentially, yes. Crooked to the left I believe. Now, it?s very, very minimal and I?m not even sure it is. But once I installed the wire drive the boat has definitely taken a huge step backwards in stability. I?m gonna pull the hardware off soon and double check with a square.

Seems to make sense to me that when the boat is running way too dry it goes straight, just unstable. But if I drop the tabs to make it wet, it?s fighting itself - guessing the hull wants to go one way but the thrust from the prop is pushing in a different direction.

About the only thing you can do is backup with the mods as you stated, and then methodically get it back into running condition one thing at a time and see if you can figure out what part of you mod specifically caused the change. I cant envision how switching to a wire drive could cause this issue on its own, but that is assuming the driveline itself is physically the same as before, and that seems to be where the problems is originating in your case.