Thread: Dominator??

Default Dominator??

Is the Dominator by ?Oxidean Marine? a good boat?
    Looking for a non biased opinion.
    thanks

It's a decent boat. Nothing really special about it. It works as expected.

The owner of the company that markets it, is quite polarizing as I'm sure you know. Most people don't like him or the way he does business or the way he treats others in the hobby or the way he censors people when he has the ability.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
    It's a decent boat. Nothing really special about it. It works as expected.

The owner of the company that markets it, is quite polarizing as I'm sure you know. Most people don't like him or the way he does business or the way he treats others in the hobby or the way he censors people when he has the ability.
    Very glad to hear you say that. I’m brand new to the hobby and landed on his website. I also found it very self serving and dismissive.
    Having said that he seems to offer a quality product. I’m new to this whole thing but I’m not interested in buying a product that is in need of multiple upgrades and as he says “is still a piece of plastic junk”
    I don’t want to dismiss his product simply for the reasons we agree on, if the product is worth it.
    Are there quality products available that a newbie can buy that doesn’t need the experience of a seasoned hobbyist?
    Thanks

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...r-M34-4060-ztw

Send them an email to find out when they'll have some.

The Oxidean boat is good. We had one in our club.

He tends to get in the way of what is a good product by marketing himself as it's greatest attribute. That would absolutely work if his bravado matched his achievements and he was respected by his peers. Think Dakota Phend. Number one car racer on planet earth right now. If he tells you something is pretty solid it likely is. His reputation is solid and that matters to him and his sponsors. Oxidean......not so much. Many just can't get past his antics and stay clear. It's not because the boat sucks or anything.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...r-M34-4060-ztw

Send them an email to find out when they'll have some.

The Oxidean boat is good. We had one in our club.

He tends to get in the way of what is a good product by marketing himself as its greatest attribute. That would absolutely work if his bravado matched his achievements and he was respected by his peers. Think Dakota Phend. Number one car racer on planet earth right now. If he tells you something is pretty solid it likely is. His reputation is solid and that matters to him and his sponsors. Oxidean......not so much. Many just can't get past his antics and stay clear. It's not because the boat sucks or anything.
    That’s the dilemma. Does the product live up to the bravado.
    The videos show the boat and quality hardware all included (minus batteries)
    As a newbie that wants a quality setup out of the box, I’m not finding anything like that out there.
    Mostly toys or hulls that require more experience than I have to rig.
    Thoughts?

I've seen 3 types of Oxidean and they are all very good hulls. Guys had no issues with their deliveries. At times, you do have to pay upfront and wait for shipment, unless it's in local stock.
    Couldn't care less about personality etc, the boat scene is full of them. Personally, it's overpriced, but everything is crazy expensive right now.

They will do out of the box as advertised but seen many that fail as they don't understand CG etc. There is the capable boat and the capable Operator that can't be ordered.

Most of his hardware is just rebranded by name and logo, you can buy it cheaper elsewhere, but any 'Brand Name' is doing exactly that.

Very good point ��
    I see other boats out there for 1/3 the price, like the Pro Boat Shreddy that includes everything, or the Sonic Wake that needs batteries, charger, etc….
    Probably a good idea for gaining operator skills, but a lot of plastic where I would prefer aluminum.

Another option is to dig into the local yocals there in Florida. There's some serious experience down there. They may have something on their own shelf they don't use anymore. I know with our club, if we get a feeling that a guy is truly interested in the hobby we'll bust out the private stash to make sure he gets up and going with as little learning curve as possible. One of our newer club members ran my sons sport hydro for a whole season before he bought his own boat.
    Noisy person

The dominator is a rebranded Tenshock Scord I’ve purchased 2 boats from them with no troubles 1/2 the price for the exact same boat

That’s funny, I searched this morning for a club that I could connect with to pick their brains.
    I found one in the Tampa area but still haven’t been able to get accurate contact information.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    The dominator is a rebranded Tenshock Scord I’ve purchased 2 boats from them with no troubles 1/2 the price for the exact same boat
    I could be wrong but the closest thing they have (that I found) was the Mini. It isn’t carbon fiber and not with the same running gear.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Another option is to dig into the local yocals there in Florida. There's some serious experience down there. They may have something on their own shelf they don't use anymore. I know with our club, if we get a feeling that a guy is truly interested in the hobby we'll bust out the private stash to make sure he gets up and going with as little learning curve as possible. One of our newer club members ran my sons sport hydro for a whole season before he bought his own boat.
    Im in the Tampa area.
    I don?t believe there is an active club. I found a link but it doesn?t seem to exist anymore.
    Kind of surprised but maybe Tampa is too ?Big City? for the hobby. 🤔

I'm in Tampa, there is no boat club. Closest is in Brandon and next is Sarasota.
    Might be one in St.Pete, they typically run Saturday mornings at a lake.
    10045-10063 16th St N, St. Petersburg, FL 33716 ((Tampa Bay Model Boat Assn). They used to have a website but seems to be gone.
    If that spot is empty, I might go there, wasn't the most helpful bunch.

We are 3-4 guys typically running Saturdays ~ 12PM Lake Seminole Park (Shelter #1) but too hot right now. Give it a couple of weeks.

I have a V-hull type, good for starting out and can part with it. We have all types, non competition.

Castaway boat club in the Villages practices 2 days a week and races 2 weekends a month.

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Looks like a great group �� you guys in the Villages really got it going on.

Quote Originally Posted by jkflow View Post
    I'm in Tampa, there is no boat club. Closest is in Brandon and next is Sarasota.
    Might be one in St.Pete, they typically run Saturday mornings at a lake.
    10045-10063 16th St N, St. Petersburg, FL 33716 ((Tampa Bay Model Boat Assn). They used to have a website but seems to be gone.
    If that spot is empty, I might go there, wasn't the most helpful bunch.

We are 3-4 guys typically running Saturdays ~ 12PM Lake Seminole Park (Shelter #1) but too hot right now. Give it a couple of weeks.

I have a V-hull type, good for starting out and can part with it. We have all types, non competition.
    Your not lying about the heat, it?s suffocating outside.
    Im in Oldsmar, it an easy 40 minute drive. I think I?ll take a Sunday morning drive when things cool down a bit. I?d like to see these things run outside of Utube.

Lately I'm running in Bicentennial Park in Oldsmar, just brutal in the heat with no shade. Yes, we should get together sometime soon.
    Usually I'm there ~ 10AM but let's tie out beforehand. Probably 1-2 weeks out and hopefully some clouds for shade. Was there last weekend and gave up after 30 min.

Seminole has more shade, they are just low on water still. Nothing but weeds at the moment, a little rain and that will work again, and we have plenty of rain lately.

That’s great! That place is like 12 minutes from me. Hadn’t considered it as a place to run boats but it sure beats getting run off by irate homeowners or police ��

The Dominator is a quality hull that comes with good equipment, and for 95% of people it wont need to be upgraded. You can buy the same hull and hardware from DYmotorshop and use your own electronics, but if you don't already have motors, esc's, servos and radios by the time you get everything together you will be within a hundred dollars of the cost of just buying a readymade boat that comes with a warranty. Having said that, if I was in the market now for a Carbon Fiber V hull I would probably go for the OSE Raider 34 with the TP motor and ZTW 200amp esc. Probably the best overall value for the money for that type of boat

Thanks
    Your point of the expense of upgrading, kind of justifies going all in, in the first place.
    I think ��

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy
    The dominator is a rebranded Tenshock Scord I?ve purchased 2 boats from them with no troubles 1/2 the price for the exact same boat
    Quote Originally Posted by TeakFreak View Post
    I could be wrong but the closest thing they have (that I found) was the Mini. It isn?t carbon fiber and not with the same running gear.
    You are right TeakFreak the Mini Dom is a rebranded Tenshock Mini Mono, not a Tenshock Scord, it does look a lot like a Scord 3 in photos though, having all the same design elements, being designed by the same person at the same time for the same purpose, but shrunk down, with just some minor changes to suit the smaller size. Tenshock didn't just offer the Mini Mono in glass though, you had a choice of glass, carbon/kevlar, or carbon. The only differences in a Mini Mono and a Mini Dom are the motor KV being suited for 2s for racing in the Mini Mono and 3s in the Mini Dom, but Tenshock make the motors so if you ask them they are happy to fit a 3s motor, and the props are different, with Oxedean having a more aggressive prop than those that Tenshock offer.

Tenshock are constantly testing and evolving their boats to stay competitive, I bought my Mono1 in '08 and they have developed 6 Mono1s since then, encouragingly they only released 5 as the Scord4 was found by the beta testers to be a step backwards in average race water.

They have recently released the Mini Scord and discontinued the Mini Mono, if you want a mini Mono you can still get one form dealers with stock like Ecomaster (he currently has all 3 hull materials in several colours) or a rebadged one from Oxidean Marine, but after seeing their good practices with Mono1s I would bet my arse that the Mini Scord is a better boat than the (very good) Mini Mono/Mini Dom. However all the Carbon ones are currently going to Team Tenshock racers, so that one is currently glass only, and if you want carbon or carbon/kevlar you will have to wait, maybe till winter, but I think they will likely start trickling out after the World championships in August.

It remains to be seen if OM will get the Mini Scord as a Mini Dom v2 or whatever he would call it, or if Tenshock will keep selling him the Mini Mono to keep the Mini Scord molds free for themselves. Its possible that they may even sell him the molds so he could actually produce his own boat in house as he likes to imply, they would likely still be selling him hardware, motors, and ESCs to go in them, so it could be good business.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.