Thread: Cheeta motor problems

Default Cheeta motor problems

Hey guys i bought a carbon cheeta single drive last year and I?m looking to do speed runs with it. I have new 6s packs and dual 4s packs for an 8s setup. My issue is-I?m not great with electronics and I believe the motor is not big enough to handle 8s or even 6s. I have a seal ZTW 200 esc and a leopard 4074 2200kv .
    I?ve changed all the connectors to rc pro plus solderless connectors cause I kept unsoldering the bullet motor connections.
    as I open up the throttle on 8s it cuts out about half way. So I changed to a single 6s and it continues to cut out about 2/3rd throttle . I just got into the settings on the esc and I?m trying to figure out the best motor timming option? I?ve read it?s a ?y? winding so 10-15 range?
    my question is-should I just purchase a larger motor that will handle 8s speed runs?
    any advice out there is greatly appreciated cause I live way up in Maine and there is absolutely no rc boat scenes around! Thanks

it dont handle 8s? lmao

yeah you need a different motor.

try this
    https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php...product_id=514

6s on the 4074 2200kv will easily pull over 200amps on a 42mm prop. A bigger prop will pull even more amps.

I say that to say the ztw 200 might be the problem. The raider 150 in speed runs application will prove to handle more amps than the ztw 200. I can confirm that the raider will handle 250 to 300 plus amps easily in speed run application. I am talking 7 seconds full throttle for 2 passes at 250 to 300 plus amps easily.

You mention that the bullets was desoldering. That probably means your setup is too hot for the motor. The connectors desoldering is keeping you from burning up the motor.

Well thank you for responding,And ya like I mentioned earlier,im still a green horn to the rc boat scene. I'm debating on just getting a larger esc like the seal 300 or the hydra? and running it on 6s. would the leopard 4074 handle short speed runs on 6s and a 42mm prop? I think I should try that and then eventually buy a new motor.
    also any ideas as to what setting I should be running with my current setting for timing? I think I read 10 to 15? the higher the setting, the hotter my motor is going to get correct?

The castle hydra would be the better esc, it will handle well over 300 or 400 amps.

As for the leopard 4074 2200kv, you would be able to do short speed runs on 6s with a 42mm prop. But be warned the bearings in the motor likely will wear out fast so having replacement bearings would be a good idea.

A Hydra will be great. Extremely powerful ESC.

2200kv is okay for speed runs on 6S. I wouldn't use that high of a kv for running laps on 6S though.

A question I have, is what are speed runs to you? Are you just looking to blast up and down the lake at 60 or 70 mph, or are you trying to go 90 or 100 mph? What you're truly trying to accomplish can change the combo significantly. My Cheetah can run laps until the batteries are dead in the mid 60 mph range on only 4S with less kv than you've got, although a physically larger motor. So what are you trying to do? Speed runs is a pretty subjective goal.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
    A Hydra will be great. Extremely powerful ESC.

2200kv is okay for speed runs on 6S. I wouldn't use that high of a kv for running laps on 6S though.

A question I have, is what are speed runs to you? Are you just looking to blast up and down the lake at 60 or 70 mph, or are you trying to go 90 or 100 mph? What you're truly trying to accomplish can change the combo significantly. My Cheetah can run laps until the batteries are dead in the mid 60 mph range on only 4S with less kv than you've got, although a physically larger motor. So what are you trying to do? Speed runs is a pretty subjective goal.
    you can use that high of KV if you get a bigger motor. its all in the wattage the system can handle in the end. I run 2300kv on 6s on 1/3 mile oval all the time. whole system stays cooler than 4s.

You could... with increased heat and amp draw.... If he's hitting current/amp cutout on his existing 2200kv motor, I certainly wouldn't be suggesting an even higher kv motor. That'll just make his issue worse if he doesn't change anything else.

What's most critical, is the kv be matched to the voltage that is to be ran, and the prop diameter the boat likes for the speed one is going for. It would be silly to set up a 27" boat with rpm that would result in needing a 60mm prop to even go 40 mph. It would be just as silly to set up a 60" boat with rpm that would result in needing a 38mm prop to keep it below 90 mph.

That Cheetah hull will work best on a prop around 45mm. A little smaller, say down to 42mm, a little bigger say up to 48mm, sure. But in that neighborhood. So the OP needs to decide on a voltage he's going to run, 4S, 6S, 8S, all were thrown out as options I think, about how fast he wants to go on an average prop, like a 45mm 1.5 pitch ratio. There's room to prop down from that, and room to prop up from that, and the diameter is right smack in the middle of what that size hull will like. Then back out the kv rating from there. The motor kv is like the LAST thing I choose when setting up a new hull. To set it up proper, it all needs to work together to have a good running boat.

If he were to say his goal is, let's say 70 mph on 6S. On a 45mm 1.5 pitch ratio prop, that backs out to a kv of 1975kv. It could be propped down to 61 mph with a 42mm 1.4 pitch ratio, or up to 80 mph with a 48mm 1.6 pitch ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngbuck View Post
    Hey guys i bought a carbon cheeta single drive last year and I?m looking to do speed runs with it. I have new 6s packs and dual 4s packs for an 8s setup. My issue is-I?m not great with electronics and I believe the motor is not big enough to handle 8s or even 6s. I have a seal ZTW 200 esc and a leopard 4074 2200kv .
    I?ve changed all the connectors to rc pro plus solderless connectors cause I kept unsoldering the bullet motor connections.
    as I open up the throttle on 8s it cuts out about half way. So I changed to a single 6s and it continues to cut out about 2/3rd throttle . I just got into the settings on the esc and I?m trying to figure out the best motor timming option? I?ve read it?s a ?y? winding so 10-15 range?
    my question is-should I just purchase a larger motor that will handle 8s speed runs?
    any advice out there is greatly appreciated cause I live way up in Maine and there is absolutely no rc boat scenes around! Thanks
    It sounds like it's propped very hard. What size prop is on it? Whatever is going on, between the desoldering of bullets and the amp limiter of the ESC (that's what's doing the cutting out you're experiencing, the load placed on the motor is causing it to draw more amps than the ESC is capable of handling), you're drawing a lot of amps. A lot of amps can be okay, if you're setup for it. Some of my boats pull a TON of amps that would cause a ZTW to have nightmare's, but they're setup for it. Big 8mm battery connectors, parallel battery packs, 8mm motor bullets, high quality motor, Hydra ESC, tons of cooling.

Whatever you've got going on, you're pulling too many amps for your current setup to handle. So you either need to prop down in order to lower the amp draw so your setup can handle it, or upgrade your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
    You could... with increased heat and amp draw.... If he's hitting current/amp cutout on his existing 2200kv motor, I certainly wouldn't be suggesting an even higher kv motor. That'll just make his issue worse if he doesn't change anything else.

What's most critical, is the kv be matched to the voltage that is to be ran, and the prop diameter the boat likes for the speed one is going for. It would be silly to set up a 27" boat with rpm that would result in needing a 60mm prop to even go 40 mph. It would be just as silly to set up a 60" boat with rpm that would result in needing a 38mm prop to keep it below 90 mph.

That Cheetah hull will work best on a prop around 45mm. A little smaller, say down to 42mm, a little bigger say up to 48mm, sure. But in that neighborhood. So the OP needs to decide on a voltage he's going to run, 4S, 6S, 8S, all were thrown out as options I think, about how fast he wants to go on an average prop, like a 45mm 1.5 pitch ratio. There's room to prop down from that, and room to prop up from that, and the diameter is right smack in the middle of what that size hull will like. Then back out the kv rating from there. The motor kv is like the LAST thing I choose when setting up a new hull. To set it up proper, it all needs to work together to have a good running boat.

If he were to say his goal is, let's say 70 mph on 6S. On a 45mm 1.5 pitch ratio prop, that backs out to a kv of 1975kv. It could be propped down to 61 mph with a 42mm 1.4 pitch ratio, or up to 80 mph with a 48mm 1.6 pitch ratio.
    I get what you're saying and fully agree. But higher voltages can actually cause lower amps ....in my anecdotal experience. Just because prop size comes way down. 4s on my little 27" hull melts solder joints with a S220 prop at 58mph. Go to 6s and a x640 and everything is cool as a cucumber and 8mph higher speed. But like you said it has to be a balancing act between prop, hull size, wattage, esc amps, batteries.

No one asked what batts he is running. Are they some of the problem also? Just because they are "new", doesn't necessarily mean they are sufficient.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.