Thread: TP motor for 6s single cheetah

Default TP motor for 6s single cheetah

I think around 40mm 1600hv?

Thanks

this one would be pretty good on 6s speed runs. you'll need a 300A esc to push it though.

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php...product_id=582

Quote Originally Posted by tjsb View Post
    I think around 40mm 1600hv?

Thanks
    You nailed it. 40mm can, longer the better, 1600-1700kv will work great.

What's the difference in the windings being y or d ?

Quote Originally Posted by tjsb View Post
    What's the difference in the windings being y or d ?

i can never find one straight answer.

The difference between D and Y winds in my opinion, is how much timing each type of wind runs best with. I think D wind motors need 0 degrees, or low timing, and Y wind motors need 5 or 10 degrees, or normal timing in general.. This was told to me by a technician at Castle Creations that makes their motors so I tend to trust this info. I guess you could go up in each case but advancing timing increases heat a lot, so it depends on where you are on the performance vs. longevity scale

Thanks

I asked the timing question to HH about my rtr Impulse 32. They said all their marine motors are y wind and default to 7 degrees timing. Not sure this matters but just sayin'.

for the Cheetah a TP4060 1650 or a SSS4092 V2 1650 are great for this hull

Thank you

I bought a single drive carbon cheeta last year and it has a leopard 4074 2200kv , I’m not into racing cause there’s no boat scene up here in maine so I just do speed runs. I’m honestly not that knowledgeable when it comes to the electronics but I’ve read on OSE that the 4074 is not a real 6s speed running motor. Maybe for 2 to 3 seconds. Well I have 8s packs so I’m looking to upgrade to something I can run on 8s. Any suggestions? I’m also running the seal ZTW 200 which says it can handle up to 8s.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngbuck View Post
    I bought a single drive carbon cheeta last year and it has a leopard 4074 2200kv , I’m not into racing cause there’s no boat scene up here in maine so I just do speed runs. I’m honestly not that knowledgeable when it comes to the electronics but I’ve read on OSE that the 4074 is not a real 6s speed running motor. Maybe for 2 to 3 seconds. Well I have 8s packs so I’m looking to upgrade to something I can run on 8s. Any suggestions? I’m also running the seal ZTW 200 which says it can handle up to 8s.

you can run 8s on any motor granted it can handle the voltage and load. Usually in the 800-1500kv range. 8s doesnt magically make it faster, either.

what's your budget?

I was curious about, which was better the D wind or the Y wind. So I was fortunate to be able to some testing to find out which is better.

For testing I took a leopard 3650 3650kv 2y motor. I ran 4s for the test through an xlx2 esc, I used a x642 for the load. Max amps was 307 amps.

For the other test I had the leopard 3650 4550kv 3d motor. I ran 4s for the test through an xlx2 and used a x642 for the load. The max amps was 313 amps.

So the d with a significantly higher kv pulled slighly more amps than the far lower kv y wind motor.

This is where thing got interesting the d wind can was cooler than the y wind can. And the d wind had way more loaded rpm.

The test revealed that the y wind is far more amp hungry than the d wind and far less efficient than the d wind.

After doing that test I will never buy anything other than d wind.

I found the d wind motor runs cooler at 0 degrees timing.

Thanks that is what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed2 View Post
    For testing I took a leopard 3650 3650kv 2y motor. I ran 4s for the test through an xlx2 esc, I used a x642 for the load. Max amps was 307 amps.

For the other test I had the leopard 3650 4550kv 3d motor. I ran 4s for the test through an xlx2 and used a x642 for the load. The max amps was 313 amps.
    You're testing method has some potential flaws, or at the very least, is missing important data points and testing conditions. One could argue any data collected from a motor run so far above it's efficiency range, is useless to real world applications. Experimenting is awesome and if you've concluded on your own that D Wind motors are best for your applications, great. But to rule out all Y wind motors based on that one test may be limiting your own potential.

Me, I've never been of the mindset that I've squeezed all the potential out of any boat I've built and setup to ever notice the difference in performance of the specific type of wind in the motors I chose to run. For me, wind type is an artifact that happens to follow the kV and can size I've selected for the hull size and speed goals in mind. It only dictates what timing I set my esc's too.

It doesn't really matter whether it's a D or Y wind. Pick the motor that's sized appropriately for you power goals and the correct kv for you voltage/prop combo. Then, if it's a D, start out with 0 deg of timing and experiment. If it's a Y, start with 5-8 deg of timing and experiment. There's no right answer for what timing is correct for a D or a Y. There are generalities that hold true, like D's typically prefer less timing than Y's, but no definitive universal answer for how much timing you should run. Run your boat with a base timing, check speed and motor temp. Increase timing, check speed and motor temp again. When either speed stops increasing, or motor temps begin increasing by a large amount, back off one timing level.

Will the boat run a lot faster on flat water?

Flat water as compared to what? 1' swells? Well yeah. Some ripples? No, runs the same.

Thanks just trying to get it to run like it should and I'm not getting the same speed on flat water.

Hello Koen, I have a Cheetah Xl. Single motor. We have a Q cat Class at our club. I have to use either TP or the SSS 4092 V2 can motor. and run on 6s. What KV would you suggest and what amp ESC would work well. we run the 1/3 rd mile oval. Right now I have a Castle XLX2 hydro rated at 180 amp.
    Thanks for your help

for Q class a 1400kv will do and that Castle esc is about the holly grail and a SSS will pull less amps but always check temps (TP is also a good motor)

Hello Koen,
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate all the info you and every one else have given me. It has been a great help.