Thread: Lost my boat Help please

Default Lost my boat Help please

My boat did a nose dive and never came back up, my question is as soon as the boat went underwater would it have shut off, I?m trying to understand the salvage area.
    it?s not far offshore I watched it pretty closely sink like a torpedo, however I don?t know how far it travelled underwater it went down at approx 45 degrees.
    The visibility of the lake is poor, I?m pretty sure it?s stuck in the algae bloom suspended from the bottom, I just don?t know how far it travelled under water it was going 35 years plus when it submerged.

As long as the receiver still has signal, whatever signal it would be receiving from the transmitter would still be controlling the boat's electronics...so, if you still had your finger on the throttle, you would have contributed the propulsion of the boat.

If it was heading straight down (which is extremely unlikely), you would have driving it directly to the bottom of where it went under. If it was at any other angle, it would have continued in that direction, until signal was lost, or until it hit whatever would have stopped it. This is, is course, not considering any steering you might have added while it 'descended'.

The point is, it could be a few feet from where it went under...or, it could be dozens of feet away. I had a 17" V-hull go under about 2yrs ago (the canopy came off), to which I immediately released the throttle. In water approx 6ft deep, I found it approx 10ft from where it went under. At a different lake, had a friend-of-a-friend's 34" hydro go under, in water that was approx 8ft deep...except that, being a nitro boat, even with the throttle release, three boat kept 'traveling'. They searched for at least 50ft around where it went under, but never recovered the boat. From what I was told, with the direction it was traveling, it could have gone another 300ft (ie. close to the other end of they lake) before landing on the bottom...during which the depth in some areas was as much as 20ft.

I wish you luck in recovering it.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

The submarine sink is typically due to some sort of catastrophic failure from the sudden stop dive, unless the water you are running in is very shallow to begin with where getting hung up on bottom in some way is possible?

There are a lot of forces at hand when we torpedo a model, and in most cases it goes in clean and just bobs back up again and keeps going, but in some cases the hatch gets torn open, or the hull itself cracks open from the force. My mono has done a simple tumble on top of the water before and somehow literally peeled every bit of the hatch tape off in the 3 second incident.

They will sink like a rock if there isn't enough flotation within the dead model if this happens. Your boat likely shut down the instant whatever caused it to sink happened, so its possibly on the bottom near the area where you saw it go in depending on its trajectory at the time. It would have popped back up on the surface almost immediately if it was still sealed, receiving a signal and running,
    Last edited by Xrayted; 07-06-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Most radios have a failsafe you can set. This will cut the power with a loss of signal. Without the failsafe working the boat will drive itself down under water until the battery dies or the esc or motor burn out. I have had this happen a few times, fortunately the boats were bouyant enough to resurface, even though it has cost me an esc or battery. I always check now to make sure the fail safes are working.
    Make sure you boat has enough bouyancy foam, pool noodle works well, so that it will float even if full of water.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Cool

Depending on your radio equipment and ESC settings, the boat likely continued at full speed until it stuck in the bottom. It could have dived steeper or more shallowly after it went under. What is the depth of the water where it went under?

Similar occurrences are not that uncommon, it happened about once every year or so at my last club. Sometimes the boat would loosen and float to the surface later if the hull remained intact, but some were found years later when the lake level dropped or a diver found them.

One method which has sometimes proven successful is to try to knock the boat loose with a weighted line or a pole from the surface. Again, if it still holds air it will float up. I?ve seen at least half a dozen sunken boats retrieved, usually with the bow covered in mud. Good luck!

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

The boat sank in approximately 8-10 ft of water the water has maybe 2ft of visibility on the bottom.
    I recently had surgery so cannot go in after it.

it’s a man made lake I live on the water, it tapers from two feet to 12ft in the middle 50 ft from shore, I was approximately 15 ft from shore and 30 ft out in front of me when torpedoed.

I Tried to retrieve it with several methods including putting my GoPro on the end of a pole to no avail, damn I liked that boat allot, the boat is a Tenshock Mini Scord

I have about two more weeks before I can go in and look for it, I have a funny feeling it’s in the algae or standing on its tail, it has a fair amount of bubble wrap in the nose the bottom is a hard pack clay, no telling where it will be in two weeks ������

If you can check every day it may just surface. I remember at one race Jay Moffat drove a Cyberstorm into the mud and it popped up the next morning of the races.
    Nortavlag Bulc