Thread: Leopard motors vs amazon surpass motors

Default Leopard motors vs amazon surpass motors

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference cause the spec, are the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjsb View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there is a difference cause the spec, are the same.

Thanks
    Lower quality then leopard ,leopard is a budget motor already .
    SSS are good budget motors to.
    The surpass motors are cheaper ,so quality is less to.
    Good for sports and hobby .

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(9) plus met Tapatalk

Thanks

rocket RC motors are exactly the same as hobby star motors. Ive ran them side by side to a leopard and they seem pretty even I guess. the Leopard doesnt shoot way out ahead. ironclad RC channel runs them in a bunch of stuff. They're not anything special but they're pretty good for the money.

if you want a motor that will stomp a leopard the one on the left is it.
    IMG_20230706_121227.jpg

Is some of that is do to the size difference ? ?

Is some of that is do to the size difference ? ?

the magenets in them are so strong you cant turn the bare shaft by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    the magenets in them are so strong you cant turn the bare shaft by hand.
    I have a Neu 1521 motor that you can't even feel the detent in the magnets but that isn't because it has poor magnets, it's because they alter the magnets - skewed.

You can turn a Lehner 3080 easy by hand.

Best way to tell motors of same size apart is to weigh them.

A leopard 4092 motor weighs approx. 490 grams but a Surpass Rocket motor weighs only 390 grams. That means there is less of the good stuff inside and 100 grams is significant.
    Nortavlag Bulc

good to know

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I have a Neu 1521 motor that you can't even feel the detent in the magnets but that isn't because it has poor magnets, it's because they alter the magnets - skewed.

You can turn a Lehner 3080 easy by hand.

Best way to tell motors of same size apart is to weigh them.

A leopard 4092 motor weighs approx. 490 grams but a Surpass Rocket motor weighs only 390 grams. That means there is less of the good stuff inside and 100 grams is significant.

I have both 4092's. the rocket weighs the same. spec sheet says 511 grams gross.

The Neu 1521 is rated at less than 50% the continuous output as the tp 4070.

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    I have both 4092's. the rocket weighs the same. spec sheet says 511 grams gross.

The Neu 1521 is rated at less than 50% the continuous output as the tp 4070.
    It's possible Rocket has changed a bit but I go by the specs which I mentioned. Steve Neu would always put conservative numbers on his charts which people regularly pushed way beyond.

Run what you like. Surprising that you got more than what they advertise. Good.
    Nortavlag Bulc

In comparison I have a Rocket 3670 here that the specs say 271grams and it is exactly that. A Leo 3674 is 310gram and a Rocket 3680 specs say 313grams. When I look inside my 3670 it has 10mm of space in front and back. Most higher end motors will have less air space in them than that.

Curious as to how much space is left empty in your 4092 Rocket?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    In comparison I have a Rocket 3670 here that the specs say 271grams and it is exactly that. A Leo 3674 is 310gram and a Rocket 3680 specs say 313grams. When I look inside my 3670 it has 10mm of space in front and back. Most higher end motors will have less air space in them than that.

Curious as to how much space is left empty in your 4092 Rocket?
    about 10-15mm front and back. leopard has a guard for the mounting screws, the rocket doesnt.

rocket provides a spec sheet with their motors that I always have at my computer along with SSS, Neu, etc

IMG_20230707_143040.jpg

How does a TP motor compare and what one?

How does a TP motor compare and what one?

start here at a tear down of castle and TP motors

rocket 4092 - 4200w max / 2600w continuous
    leopard 4092 - 4200w max / continuous unknown (assume about 2200w)
    TP 4060 (4092 size) - 6200w max / 3050 continuous watts

we are assuming these numbers are accurate and not marking BS. What that means is W=VxA. so take you wattage of the motor and divide it by the voltage you will run. That gives your amps you are capable of pushing. Amps are directly tied to your prop, your drag, your weight, and your RPM.

so take the leopard 2600w / 22.2v = 117 amps
    now the TP = 137 amps
    Rocket RC - 100 amps
    TP 4070 3850w - 173 amps

what those amps translate to depends on the KV, weight, drag. it might be 65mm total pitch, it might be 80mm total pitch in a outrigger. You really need data logging to know your boat.

if you go to 8s on those motors now you divide by the wattage by 30v and you get even less amps and higher RPM requiring significantly smaller prop before you overload the motor. Or you lower the KV significantly.

When you have a larger hull 38-40"+ you are getting too large for 4092 motors. moving into 56mm territory. 56mm are a whole different animal that usually use gasser size props 55-80mm. They are big massive amp motors with low RPM generally so there is a reason you may want to stick with 40mm cans. TP (and Lehner) make 40mm motors that are 107mm long and 117mm long and produce 56mm motor wattages.

Then there are the CM/SCM motors. These are ultra high RPM competition motors. for example the 4080 2022kv is 117mm long can rated for 8s. it handles 6000w continuous and 11,000w peak. Running that motor on 6s allows you to push 270 amps continuously. Which throws out all the wisdom you hear about lower KV for more torque. This motor can run both large props AND high RPM for 100+ mph because you have so much wattage handling of the motor.
    https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php...product_id=577

I have done alot of datalogs with some leopards motors that I have, I can tell leopards can handle way more amps than they spec sheet says.

I have datalogged a leopard 3650 rated at 100 amps maxs at 313 amps peak. I ran the motor for 3 secs during that test without water cooling. The wires got hot, the can was cool. Thats 313 amps datalogged on a motor rated at 100 amps max.

The leopard 3674 2200kv is rated for 90 amps max, I does run that over 200 amps and the motor handles it easily.

The leopard 4092 can handle more than 4200w. I have datalogged the 2080kv 4092 at up to 290 amps max.

In my experience the leopards ability to handle amps is closer to what tp rates their motors at.

I have also datalogged a tp that I have, the 4060 1950kv. The tp is far more amp hungry than the leopard.

Imagine the leopard 4092 2080kv is faster than the tp 4060 1950kv using the same prop. But the tp 4060 1950kv pulls more amps than the leopard 4092 2080kv when the 2 motors have the same battery and same prop.

I have run my leopard 4092 2080kv on 4s in a 45inches gas hull. I was doing a test and doing some datalogs.

Suprisely my datalogged revealed that the 4092 pulls less amps in a bigger heavier boat than it does in a 32inch boat and I am talking about using the same prop for the 2 hulls.

As a matter of fact my datalogging with different hulls revealed than the hulls that runs looser pulls more amps than the hulls that runs wetter.

The motor revs higher on the wetter and heavier boats.

The biggest prop I have run on my leopard 4092 is a graupner k70 cut down to 63mm. I ran the 2080kv 4092 on 4s with that prop. I also ran the tp 4060 1950kv with the cut down k70.

I did does do short runs though.

To the credit of the TP I will admit that the TP is able to handle more watts than the Leopard. Also the TP would be better for oval running than the Leopard.

After analysing my data on the TP vs the Leopard I have come to the conclusion that the TP can is slightly more powerful than the leopard pushing them to they max.

The spec sheet's only get you so far. Decent guideline, but with big cooling, I've pushed a lot of motors quite past their stated spec sheet limit. Leopards and TP's.