Thread: Help with boat model & motor options

Default Help with boat model & motor options

Hello,

My dad recently received this rc boat hull. I'm trying to figure out if an electric motor can go inside as well as any other tips for things like servo and receiver.

It looks like it's made for a gas engine so I'm not sure if electric is ideal or not. Also curious as to what model it is, I tried a few google searches but can't find the exact one. Thanks!

Pic - https://imgur.com/a/8WIhzqu

You can definitely set it up with electric. We can help with advise on setups if you post a few pics of the boat and some dimensions.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

While certainly possible, even budget oriented gas sized electric boats are not cheap, and thus not particularly common.

Before making any decisions I think it is worthwhile investigating whether gas models are allowed at your local water/club if you only intend on fun running, and whether electrics are allowed amongst gassers at your local club if you think racing is even the remotest possibility for you in the future.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

It looks like it is not a very big boat and would have had a small nitro engine in it originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    You can definitely set it up with electric. We can help with advise on setups if you post a few pics of the boat and some dimensions.
    Hey thanks for your reply.

It's about 47 inches long (53 including the rudder/prop), 14 inches wide, 5-6 inches height (in the back, hull without cover on).

Some more pics, one next to my traxxas villain ex

https://imgur.com/a/UQXO6XV

So assuming you are using the boat for fun running and you have some realistic goals for speed, around 50-55 mph, I would suggest a 56 mm can motor ( the SS are cost effective and 6 pole so more torque) around 600 kv on 10s to run the bigger gas size props. For esc A ZTW 300 will do the trick. You will need batteries also obviously, the bigger capacity and C rating the better. It all depends on your budget and expectations. Electric will have less run time than gas, but is cleaner and quieter.
    If you go gas you will need a motor, pipe, fuel tank and radio box.
    Take your time and figure out what suits your budget and the water you will run on.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    So assuming you are using the boat for fun running and you have some realistic goals for speed, around 50-55 mph, I would suggest a 56 mm can motor ( the SS are cost effective and 6 pole so more torque) around 600 kv on 10s to run the bigger gas size props. For esc A ZTW 300 will do the trick. You will need batteries also obviously, the bigger capacity and C rating the better. It all depends on your budget and expectations. Electric will have less run time than gas, but is cleaner and quieter.
    If you go gas you will need a motor, pipe, fuel tank and radio box.
    Take your time and figure out what suits your budget and the water you will run on.
    SSS motor like this one (600kv) - https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...l-sss-56104-v2

ESC ZTW 300 - https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...tw-300-7300410
    - Looks like it pairs with Futaba radios for data graphs

I'm guessing 2 5s is ideal compared to 1 10s for weight balance? The C ratings seem better on 5s batteries too.

Thanks again for the assistance. It looks like it will take quite a bit of research for everything but this helps get started.

Quote Originally Posted by plebevac View Post
    SSS motor like this one (600kv) - https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...l-sss-56104-v2

ESC ZTW 300 - https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...tw-300-7300410
    - Looks like it pairs with Futaba radios for data graphs

I'm guessing 2 5s is ideal compared to 1 10s for weight balance? The C ratings seem better on 5s batteries too.

Thanks again for the assistance. It looks like it will take quite a bit of research for everything but this helps get started.
    its alot easier to run 8s. The castle XLX2 esc's are about the nicest on the market and 8s. not trying to be contrarian its just 5s packs are few and expensive compared to 4s packs.

Buy 4s and 6s packs. That way you can use them on other boats later also.
    10s is better than 8s for lower current draw and runtime. In fact the SSS motor at 500 kv and 12s would be possibly the best way to go. It will run 70-75mm props with ease. The ZTW 330A esc would be perfect.
    I have a TP4070 440 kv motor that I used to have in a 45"mono on 12s that with an ABC 2314/4 prop would run at 90 kph and pull only around 60A average. Esc was a Seaking 130A HV. I could run two heat races on 6000mah packs. Propped down and running a very mild 55-60 kph I got 8 1/2 minutes run on 6000mah.
    Lower kv and higher cell count allows bigger props and longer runtimes. If you are not racing and want longer runtimes it is very achievable to build up a reliable boat you will enjoy.

No racing as far as I'm aware but I guess that's always a possibility in the future if building a boat like this haha.

SSS 56 mm can motor 600-500kv
    ZTE 300-330
    10s-12s (one 6s plus one 4s or two 6s)

I saw the ZTE has data analytics that work with certain futaba radios, would that include the mid range futaba radio for sale on this site? I couldn't find the (busd.1) specification. With the ZTE you have to power the receiver separately with separate batteries right, there's no way to use the lipos for that? Also, are XT 90s best for 6s/4s batteries?

The prop is huge so I'm guessing 8s limit on the other castle ESCs might not give it the breathing room if it needs more voltage after the first run. He mentioned doing a smaller prop since he wants to go electric but I'm sure the right setup can handle this prop easily.

That's the easy stuff (to me at least) haha, actually building the thing from scratch looks like a pain but he's good at that kind of stuff. Are there some good build videos you can recommend that goes over everything when starting from just a hull similar this? Thanks again
    Last edited by plebevac; 07-11-2023 at 12:19 PM.