Thread: Fried Leopard 4092 and

Default Fried Leopard 4092 and

the question is , is it feasable to have rebuilt , or buy new Leo 4092 or buy a different mtr. Boat it was in is the 36" AVL I restored to FE.. unfortunately I ( yea i know i know) put the wrong prop on and once in the water, after about a minute i stuffed into the lilly pads on the side of the lake trying to get a better look at how it was riding.. huh, riding ok , except for the smoke ,,,,, smoke on the water... fire in the sky...

funny as I also have a fried leopard 4092.

here is the appropriate replacement
    https://rcboatbitz.com/product/tp-pro-comp-4070-v1-5d-1700kv-2/

It all depends on what condition the rotor is in. I could be rebuild-able.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Everything can be repaired but good luck finding someone, plus you would have shipping (both ways) and repair cost.
    Just buy a new one.
    Typically, what happens, if it overheats, it also impacts the epoxy holding the rotor together. You could get the motor rewound just to have the rotor explode 5 min later.
    Not worth it imho.

Haven't done it yet, but for noncompeting stuff, I'm considering these as alternative. Have them in my cars and they are equivalent to the Leopard from what I can tell. Should work just fine and at that price it's worth a gamble.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/arr...32969296576566

I can rewind your Leopard. And it will be a little better than stock. Not that it will have more power than stock, but it will be able to tolerate more heat than before, and not burn up. The Leopard line of motors are actually pretty good and are full of wire (unlike a lot of the "off brand" motors). But the varnish on the wires is of the lower temp kind. The wire that I use has a higher temp rating, 200C vs 150C. So you can use a slightly larger prop and get away with it, just don't over do it. Sometimes when you burn one up the rotor does get hot enough to degrade the epoxy, but I don't usually see them go like that. And after taking apart around 2500 motors, I'v learned what to look for and can usually spot a bad rotor. When I do see a bad one,I let the owner know that it's trash and I won't rewind it.

That tp 4070 is a larger motor than the Leopard 4092. The two brands have different meanings for their numbering system. Loe 4092 is 40mm diameter and 92mm long CASE size, while the TP is 40mm diameter but the 70 refers to the length of the ROTOR. The leo has a 60mm long rotor. So the TP is a 16.5% larger motor. And BTW, the TP motors use the good higher temp wire.

And on the Arrma, what are you really expecting to get for $38! Most of the off brand motors that I have taken apart are selling you a bunch of AIR. The guts of the motor are usually short. I'd bet in that motor the guts are only 40 to 45mm long, and not even close to the power of your leopard.
    AmpDaddy
    don huff