Thread: Just a couple Zonda battery questions

Default Just a couple Zonda battery questions

Hello to all, I'm just getting final items for new Zonda 41" and my questions are... 1) I have the twin Z from OSE that comes with SK 180's and I believe the triple S 3674 and hopefully all getting replaced sooner than later depending on how good I'll be able to hide my check stubs from Mrs hobby hater, besides the weight diff if there is one and run times which battery setup is best to run? 4 of the 3s or 2 6? 2) I know I might be wasting money but the 4 blade props just look to sweet not to put on... do they work? Planning on the 4092's

P.S. Will those SK 180's work with the 4092? Was thinking 300A
    Thanks in advance!

sk 180 will work with the 4092 but stay low on the kv ,1650 on 6s is the max but you can run bigger props and if you to use 4-blade props 1250kv is the max ,this boat will run perfect with 2-blade props(on the net you can find the best performer)

2 blade props are more efficient
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

with 2 motors you will want high KV motors with small props. To understand the basics of amps and esc's the formula is:

W = V x I

take the motors continuous wattage and divide that by the voltage you want to run. You can quickly understand that high volts = lower amps
    but low amps = low torque which equals smaller props. but you have 2 motors to split the load with.

pretty much all 36-40mm motors are high voltage (low amps) motors. 56mm motors are the opposite. They are all 180a-240a low RPM motors for big massive props 60mm+.

4092's are usually about 3000w continuous. So you'd have 6000w total to drive the boat with. something like twin 48mm 1.6 props on 8s. Should easily reach well into triple digits. I believe this guy is running European version of TP power 4050's which equals about a 4082 motor (50 refers to armature length) https://youtu.be/c4xoYoQu-hw
    Last edited by Bande1; 06-14-2023 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    with 2 motors you will want high KV motors with small props. To understand the basics of amps and esc's the formula is:

W = V x I

take the motors continuous wattage and divide that by the voltage you want to run. You can quickly understand that high volts = lower amps
    but low amps = low torque which equals smaller props. but you have 2 motors to split the load with.

pretty much all 36-40mm motors are high voltage (low amps) motors. 56mm motors are the opposite. They are all 180a-240a low RPM motors for big massive props 60mm+.

4092's are usually about 3000w continuous. So you'd have 6000w total to drive the boat with. something like twin 48mm 1.6 props on 8s. Should easily reach well into triple digits. I believe this guy is running European version of TP power 4050's which equals about a 4082 motor (50 refers to armature length) https://youtu.be/c4xoYoQu-hw
    W = V x A!

4092 motors that are RATED in specs to 3000W continuous. That does not mean you will be running them at 3000W. 3000W is approx 4hp equivalent, so according to your theory, that is 6000W or 8 hp in a skinny 41" hull. That is the potential power, but not something that will be realised without trouble.

Some of the stuff you write you must be making up in your own head, you do not understand brushless motors that well. If the op goes for "triple digits" with that Zonda without serious reinforcement of the hull then he is likely to lose his boat or badly destroy it. But I guess not many post you tube videos of those fails!

Op should take the advice of koen and fweasel.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    W = V x A!

4092 motors that are RATED in specs to 3000W continuous. That does not mean you will be running them at 3000W. 3000W is approx 4hp equivalent, so according to your theory, that is 6000W or 8 hp in a skinny 41" hull. That is the potential power, but not something that will be realised without trouble.

Some of the stuff you write you must be making up in your own head, you do not understand brushless motors that well. If the op goes for "triple digits" with that Zonda without serious reinforcement of the hull then he is likely to lose his boat or badly destroy it. But I guess not many post you tube videos of those fails!

Op should take the advice of koen and fweasel.
    You realize 3000w @ 8s is only 100 amps, right? You think its hard to pull 100 amps? You know it happens everytime you pull the trigger all the way back?

I know, I know theres a vast conspiracy of RC boaters out there trying to "fool" everyone and blowing their boats up off camera....
    Last edited by Bande1; 06-14-2023 at 04:02 PM.

No, what annoys us "racer dudes" is someone giving unqualified, youtube ?xpert' advice that could cost another boater a lot of money and grief. Go prove your theories before giving it as sound advice. Many have already told you, you just don't listen.

Congratulations, you are reaching the Bill Oxidean level. Don't be like Bill!

advice that could cost another boater a lot of money and grief.
    By chance do you wear a covid mask alone in your car?

Congratulations, you are reaching the Bill Oxidean level. Don't be like Bill!
    Ironclad RC just went 76mph with his Oxidean marine dominator today. ironically running a 4092 motor.

Go prove your theories before giving it as sound advice.
    you mean like the video I posted? Would you like another?
    Last edited by Bande1; 06-14-2023 at 05:05 PM.

What I meant to say was… I thought it was an easy question. But thanks guys, so to understand this in lame man’s terms I should stick with 2 blade with original esc’s but what about battery packs? Run 4 smaller or 2 bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Gottagobig1198 View Post
    What I meant to say was… I thought it was an easy question. But thanks guys, so to understand this in lame man’s terms I should stick with 2 blade with original esc’s but what about battery packs? Run 4 smaller or 2 bigger?
    research youtube if someone proves one way is better. IDK but I like proof, tests, conclusive data. I think 4 packs personally because if one dies its easier to replace. you can get 2x 3s packs 4500mah 60c on amazon for $35. (youmee)

Quote Originally Posted by Gottagobig1198 View Post
    For me, it's more about packaging inside the hull and weight distribution. Two 6S packs will have less resistance than four 3S packs because there are fewer wiring splices and an overall shorter wiring circuit. Back when I was running a Zelos 36 frequently, I preferred four 3S packs because I couldn't fit the size 6S packs I owned down in the sponsons, where as the 3S packs fit, and I could distribute the weight evenly across the beam of the hull. In my little 37" MBP outerlimits twin, the deck height is so shallow, the only packs I could fit were 6S that were much longer than most packs, which made them not as tall as other 6S or 3S combos. In my high current 6S Shootout HPR twin, I preferred large single 6S packs per ESC to reduce wiring length and resistance. In the end, use quality batteries and connectors... and you won't go wrong.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

OK, just so I’m not made out to be the thread moron here I’ll just say yes I am new when I comes to brushless and not so new when it comes to mechanics, composites, engineering and actual scale building. I just felt like putting a 14 year old with a big mouth and low budget in his place

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    For me, it's more about packaging inside the hull and weight distribution. Two 6S packs will have less resistance than four 3S packs because there are fewer wiring splices and an overall shorter wiring circuit. Back when I was running a Zelos 36 frequently, I preferred four 3S packs because I couldn't fit the size 6S packs I owned down in the sponsons, where as the 3S packs fit, and I could distribute the weight evenly across the beam of the hull. In my little 37" MBP outerlimits twin, the deck height is so shallow, the only packs I could fit were 6S that were much longer than most packs, which made them not as tall as other 6S or 3S combos. In my high current 6S Shootout HPR twin, I preferred large single 6S packs per ESC to reduce wiring length and resistance. In the end, use quality batteries and connectors... and you won't go wrong.
    I wonder if these help with reducing excess wire resistance? any experience with them?

https://www.amazon.com/Parallel-RC-C...s%2C212&sr=8-5

Been running my Zonda for 2 seasons now with the setup you are thinking about. Seaking will not make you happy. I usually go in the 2-300A range with 1715 props which gets me to ~ 85mph range. That is a nice 'bashing speed'. Anything above 100mph will be prone to damage, but I flipped at 96mph before with literally no damage, all about how you land, but this is a tough hull.

I have SS4092 2150kV, running dual 6S batteries with Castle MM8X ESC. Had 300A ESCs prior but one gave up. Log will show that you will go to 300A and I only do short burst runs to to length of pond. A Seaking will cut off if you accelerate too quickly.
    EC5 will melt off the connector, standard bullets will be prone to de-soldering (ESC to Motor), need to go to larger size. Stay away from those EC5 doublers. I'm using QS8.
    You will need good Lipos, only CNHL or SMC will give you what you need (or other higher priced). Measure to make sure they fit, I have mine in front of the motor, 1 on each side.

Highly suggest dabbling around in the 60mph area first, props turning outward. Castle ESC need watercooling installed but well wort it.
    Log peaks ~ 270A and you can see the rest, just to give you an idea on what you are getting into. Earlier in the runs it's 300A'ish.

Yes, 6000W per motor is very realistic. This setup has ~ 100 runs on it thus far i.e. it's what I call reliable.

Clipboard01.jpg

"By chance do you wear a covid mask alone in your car?"

Bande1, I only ever wore a mask when they made me, supermarkets etc! I also did not make anyone wear a mask when they walked into my business, nor did I discriminate against anyone, jabbed or not. I did not fall for the fake pandemic and killshot myself either. Very sadly, I lost a good friend and club Pres. who was killed by the jabs. Heart attacks, strokes, blindness after he was jabbed. The last time we saw him was our club AGM last year before he went into hospital where he passed away. I couldn't even go to his funeral due to the insane evil rules our government forced on us! And what really bites, you share the same name. How about you pull your head in and stop being a wilmur!

Sorry guys, I've just had enough of this fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    "By chance do you wear a covid mask alone in your car?"

Bande1, I only ever wore a mask when they made me, supermarkets etc! I also did not make anyone wear a mask when they walked into my business, nor did I discriminate against anyone, jabbed or not. I did not fall for the fake pandemic and killshot myself either. Very sadly, I lost a good friend and club Pres. who was killed by the jabs. Heart attacks, strokes, blindness after he was jabbed. The last time we saw him was our club AGM last year before he went into hospital where he passed away. I couldn't even go to his funeral due to the insane evil rules our government forced on us! And what really bites, you share the same name. How about you pull your head in and stop being a wilmur!

Sorry guys, I've just had enough of this fella.
    some people take this hobby way too serious.