Thread: KV recommendation for circle boat racing

Default KV recommendation for circle boat racing

Looking for KV recommendations for T offshore class racing. Was looking at running little higher KV and running 8s. New to all this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where are you located??

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Where are you located??

Located in TX

Quote Originally Posted by Fast320 View Post
    Located in TX
    So am I, there's a couple groups here I can get you in touch with if I knew where in tx you are.

I know of a few clubs in the Houston area.

Here you go.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

if you listen to other racers you will at best be as fast as them.

Use the chart in post #6
    If you want to try and go a little faster, use one of the higher KVs within the list for your class.
    Just remember that using a higher KV means a smaller prop and a bigger ESC.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    It takes more than just a fast boat to win a race! Knowing your boat and experience in race water and actual racing, being able to drive fast with other boats is a skill that is learned over time on the water. I've seen plenty of fast boats not finish, and slower boats winning races and regattas, because they finish. It is also not about winning, those with that attitude create untold problems. This is a hobby, we do it for fun. Win some, lose some, just have fun and enjoy it.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    It takes more than just a fast boat to win a race! Knowing your boat and experience in race water and actual racing, being able to drive fast with other boats is a skill that is learned over time on the water. I've seen plenty of fast boats not finish, and slower boats winning races and regattas, because they finish. It is also not about winning, those with that attitude create untold problems. This is a hobby, we do it for fun. Win some, lose some, just have fun and enjoy it.
    he says while ironically listing his wins in his sig line....

he says while ironically listing his wins in his sig line....
    Those achievements are what, 7-10 years old now.

Maybe you should try doing something useful. How about being a National President, or more locally be on a club committee, President, secretary, tresurer, club captain etc., build a venue, build a club membership, help others build boats, get them running well, put more back in than you have got out! All things I have done and continue to do.

I have had to work hard to build interest in FE boats against those who think gassers are the only thing. I've literally been up against, and I quote, ? don't give a *!***!***!***!** about electrics", by a national President and committee. I have raced against them, beaten them, had boats run over by them, even competed in offshore endurance racing against gassers with FE boats with some success and gained respect from many for the effort. In that time I have had some small achievements, that has been cool, but I have also had grief for the effort, literally cheated out of the President's cup one year (by the President!) and done 2nd place 2 or 3 times. I have learned that it has to be fun or just don't bother! That all comes with time, passion and effort. These days if I win a race, cool. If I dnf, oh well next one. If a boat gets damaged racing, that sucks, fix it up for the next race day. I don't care if I win or not, if I can help someone else be able to compete and win, then I win too. Going home with boats not broken is better than having to fix them or buy more parts. Maybe when you grow up you will get it.
    Step out of your tall poppy syndrome, don't be a knob!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I raced these for 10 years.

2022-12-22_03-32-48.jpg

Good. Why don't you LEAVE this forum, and go join a motorcycle road racing forum, where I'm sure your snotty know it all attitude will be more at home. I have had the great displeasure of reading your post for a couple of months now. TIRESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    Good. Why don't you LEAVE this forum, and go join a motorcycle road racing forum, where I'm sure your snotty know it all attitude will be more at home. I have had the great displeasure of reading your post for a couple of months now. TIRESOME.
    I remember asking for some evidence to backup some hyperbolic claims and that's started a poopy fit with the "super serious toy boat racers"

Quote Originally Posted by ismailkho View Post
    I'm seeking recommendations for KV (Kilovolt) ratings for T offshore class racing. I was considering using a slightly higher KV rating and running on an 8s (8-cell) setup. Since I'm new to this, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Lol, funny you used original posters words.. Bet this isn't a real person.

He says, while ironically listing all his wins in his sig line.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Let’s play nice boys. There is a forum Ignore function for a reason, perhaps it’s time to use it.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fast320 View Post
    Looking for KV recommendations for T offshore class racing. Was looking at running little higher KV and running 8s. New to all this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Gosh, to get this back on track a little....

1. There are a couple good clubs in Texas. The biggest electric club would be HOTMBC (Heart of Texas Model Boat Club) in Katy/Houston area. We only run FE boats.
    2. There's also Dallas Thunderboats up in, you guessed it, Dallas.

As far as running 8S in T class, it can be done, but you're starting at both an advantage and disadvantage. One of our HOTMBC members runs his MHZ Caiman on 8S against the other similarly sized 10S boats with good success. But he's pulling a ton of amps to do so. If a 10S boat is pulling 300A, then the same boat on 8S has to pull 375A just to go the same speed. That's the disadvantage. The advantage is, with the Castle XLX2 Hydra ESC, you have the controller than can do it without breaking a sweat. This member regularly pulls 400A+ during a T Offshore race using the Castle XLX2 Hydra and a Castle 2028 1100kv motor. He had some issues with motor wires desoldering at the tabs on the motor, and eventually stepped up to a higher melting point solder to help keep it together. If you used a non-Castle motor, like a Leopard or a TP, that would negate that issue.

A long time ago Brian Buaas drove my 1/8 scale boat to 1/8 scale and T sport hydro two lap records and a NAMBA Nationals win. Below is the article I wrote about it. It's a lot more modest setup than those being discussed above, but the NAMBA two lap records still stand.

Lohring Miller

Electrifying Adventures in Scale.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Let’s play nice boys. There is a forum Ignore function for a reason, perhaps it’s time to use it.
    Haven't seen one so bent on pissing up legs since our good friend out of San Fransisco. I had typed a response to another thread that I deleted before posting. Felt I had been baited again. Same with this thread. Experienced guys respond. Less experienced guys tell them not to listen to the experienced.

Ignore may be the best advice. Although......bad advice will still be supplied. Posters just wont know they're getting it. I don't know. Thanks for the reminder that the option was there Jay. Haven't used in at least 10 years.
    Noisy person