Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zonda 42 twin sea king 180's

I ordered a program card for the sea kings. too windy today to test. but on the bench all seems much better after the tx reverse and motor reverse .... full pull thtl and it was way way faster than brake .. I am much obliged for y'alls help sorting this out, will just have to wait a few days to test and run the program on the two to get end points. I set it on the tx but not sure it took without testing.

Awesome, hopefully it’s resolved! You mention reversing the motors, so just to clarify, both the props should still be turning inward towards each other.

if one of them is incorrect, simply swap any two of the three wires for that motor and it will spin the other direction

I also suggest that you set the ESC’s to forward only once you get the program card. You don’t want reverse on a fast electric cat. You can also set the reverse direction endpoint to zero on the throttle channel in the radio and shut it down now if you want to.

Xrayted, got it, both are turning inboard now and waiting for Steve to ship the card.... I understand about shutting out the reverse. so far I just set its ( reverse ) end point to zero, but with the lake blown out again this morning to test .... sigh , what's a mother to do???

Off to try a run , wind at 12kph, gust up to 15kph... boat hit 54.17 mph, after 4 minutes , I hit a riffle and up she went . all ok ( insert silly grin here) . Can't thank you guys enough for your patience and help! If y'all ever make it to North Idaho .. YOU MUST come for bbq and a run at the lake! God Bless and Happy Trails!

IMG_20230531_183201716_HDR.jpg

glad you got it sorted out.

Good to hear but a word of caution.
    Props turning inward will cause instability in turns, very easy to flip. It will go slightly faster when they do turn inward.
    Always make sure that the flex shafts are turning in the right direction if you do move things around. I have mine turn outward by now but give it a try.

What props/motor (kV) are you running? 54 sounds like stock props.

FYI, the program card won't help you with anything at this time, mine has been collecting dust.

Thanks jkflow, the boat is using the stock configuration from TFL , the props are stock 40mm x1.9 pitch.
    Now that the proof of concept has been achieved , I have one piece shafts coming, 42mm x 1.4 pitch ( next up the chain) and I just want to make sure I have all the settings.
    The motors are 4092's 2140 kv (44,000 rpm theory no load).I am guessing on a calmer wind day, and tweaking the battery placement, it could reach 60mph. Just glad you guys helped me figure this out! Nothing more frustrating than to spend a bunch of money and have it fall on its face and not know why or what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by paulejr View Post
    Thanks jkflow, the boat is using the stock configuration from TFL , the props are stock 40mm x1.9 pitch.
    Now that the proof of concept has been achieved , I have one piece shafts coming, 42mm x 1.4 pitch ( next up the chain) and I just want to make sure I have all the settings.
    The motors are 4092's 2140 kv (44,000 rpm theory no load).I am guessing on a calmer wind day, and tweaking the battery placement, it could reach 60mph. Just glad you guys helped me figure this out! Nothing more frustrating than to spend a bunch of money and have it fall on its face and not know why or what to do!
    try the TFL 43mm prop and the 1450. the 43mm is actually 43.7mm and the 1450 is 45mm in real life. Their pitch listed also doesnt seem correct. IDK whats up with that but they're $10 each and they are fast. I think you have plenty of motor for those bigger props.

Im totally not worthy to give setup advice, especially about cats, but Ive seen people use motorcycle wheel weights in the front of the hull to help keep the front down. maybe something that would help with your wind situation.

EDIT: NM you need reverse direction also...

Yes, you are doing it right and in the right order.
    The 42mm will get you in the 65mph range. Stay away from CNC props for this setup, I blew through3 CNC props, they simply do not hold up on 6S with this kV motor.
    Get the equivalents in better materials. It will give you some joy, next step up to 44 mm or the equivalents, but heat and amps will start to become an issue.
    Do small incremental steps and get used to it, it's tons of fun, but you need to learn your boat before going all out. You can get this to 100+ with just a set of props, but there is much more to it and Operator training is the biggest hurdle.

I have a Zonda with the Seaking 180's and SSS 4092 2140kv motors. You can calibrate dual esc's with no power switch like the Seaking 180's at the same time, its very easy to do.. Unplug the Y cable that the ESC's are connected with from the receiver. Connect batteries to esc's, turn on transmitter, hold full throttle, then plug the Y cable back into the receiver. As soon as it powers up you will hear the two beeps immediately, from both esc's at the same time. Release throttle to neutral, hear the single confirmation beep from both esc's and its done, your good to go. I've heard of calibrating dual esc setups one at a time but this is how I do it, and it has worked great for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12