Thread: Newbie question I just did an upgrade on 17? miss geico

Default Newbie question I just did an upgrade on 17? miss geico

I watched a IRONCLAD video and did what he did to the ?T? 30A dynamite ESC ext 4500 kv brushless motor cut the stock stuffing tube and shaft out epoxy in new tube and flex shaft installed new micro rudder it all went smoothly the prop is 30 mm left hand turn the rudder has the cooling intake on the left side is that a cause for concern we will get back to that my first run I burnt up the motor in about two passes of probably 200 feet my first thought was possibly the water being pushed away from the intake port because of the left hand turn Prop I emailed support @OSE he said that should not of happened that fast something might be binding up I thought about it and maybe I have my prop on too tight does anyone use a feeler gauge or anything for InPlay between the prop and the brass tube I hate to admit it but I have zero in the play I don?t know what I?m doing here this is my first boat The boat on the IRONCLAD video screamed bloody murder it was awesome this one did also for about a minute lol any help would be appreciated thank you
    Last edited by dsilva9047@aol.com; 05-30-2023 at 03:09 AM.

the gap between the drive dog and strut is just casually based on the width of the flex shaft. if its a 1/8 shaft leave a 1/8 inch gap. the flex shaft shrinks a bit under power and if you dont leave a gap you could pull the shaft out of the motor collet. if binding on the drive dog caused motor failure it wouldnt have done it that fast and the strut would have severe gouging.

that dynamite 30a is 3s only. what size battery did you run? a 4500kv is NOT compatible with that esc. most 4500kv motors need 80-120A or so. Im going to bet you ruined the esc and not the motor.

tell us what motor you used and I can tell you what esc you will need.

None of this makes any sense to me. That tiny boat stock uses a brushed motor and Nicad batteries. A 4500KV brushless motor would be near 60,000 rpm even with a 3S lipo pack, so yeah, 30A ESC on top of that means that nothing in this combo is remotely correct for a small boat like that, and a ESC fire or cooked motor is pretty much guaranteed unless there are some details abpout this bizarre setup that have not been provided?

Default Take a look at this video at what ironclad did he?s got videos of the ripping too

http://Proboat Miss Geico 17 Flexcab...AQm2YT77iM</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    None of this makes any sense to me. That tiny boat stock uses a brushed motor and Nicad batteries. A 4500KV brushless motor would be near 60,000 rpm even with a 3S lipo pack, so yeah, 30A ESC on top of that means that nothing in this combo is remotely correct for a small boat like that, and a ESC fire or cooked motor is pretty much guaranteed unless there are some details abpout this bizarre setup that have not been provided?

Talking to ose support turns out I probably made a very bad choice on prop purchase I bought a 30 mm cnc pro with high pitch mind you i know nuthin he sent me a good link and I need a 27 mm 1.4 p prop after going back over the video of the build I missed that LOL ironclad used an aqucraft 27 mm prop which I believe is pretty close to the octura that ose carry I’m hopeful that along with my tight tolerances that I had will make a difference this set up worked fine in the video He did a bunch of passes came back to shore hit everything with Temp guns and everything was in the high 80s to low 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    the gap between the drive dog and strut is just casually based on the width of the flex shaft. if its a 1/8 shaft leave a 1/8 inch gap. the flex shaft shrinks a bit under power and if you dont leave a gap you could pull the shaft out of the motor collet. if binding on the drive dog caused motor failure it wouldnt have done it that fast and the strut would have severe gouging.

that dynamite 30a is 3s only. what size battery did you run? a 4500kv is NOT compatible with that esc. most 4500kv motors need 80-120A or so. Im going to bet you ruined the esc and not the motor.

I truly admired the concept. This information is extremely beneficial to me

Default Sorry still trying to figure out this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post

the motor is xteam 2440 4500kv the esc is fine as servo still works and motor will turn but just barely!