Thread: Motor ESC Combo

Default Motor ESC Combo

Hello! Totally new here. I own a SonicWake but am ready to build one.

Keeping it simple is important to me for my first build. I think I will go with something like the Deltaforce 26 or the OSE Raider 24.5" that are found here at Offshore Electrics. I want it to be fast but not too fast so that I can eventually give it to my 12 year old grandson.

Recommendations are given for these hulls, but can someone recommend a Motor/ESC combination which has all connections in place and ready to drop into the boat for these hulls? I'm clueless and don't want to make a costly mistake.

what size batteries do you already have? 4s or 6s?

if it were me building it I would go with the OSE 150a esc just because its only a tad more in cost but comes with a capacitor pack and has plenty of head room in capacity. the 90a would be more appropriate size wise but its only $10 less. These are rebranded flycolor esc's which are pretty decent. Motor - if you have 4s go with 2600kv - 3200kv. if you have 6s batteries already 1800-2200kv will be good. I like the Rocket RC motors. They're $50 on amazon with a quality water jacket and run really well. Run smaller props with these KV's which the boat will like and handle better. Its running fairly high RPM so you have to stay small on props.

any 3660 size motor will be plenty for that size hull. you could even go smaller to the 29 sizes.

as far as going slower for your grandson you can turn down the end points in the controller and slow the boat down considerably.

go to the speed calculator and play around with motor KV's and prop sizes. put in a 40mm prop with a 1.6 pitch then change the kv around to see what kind of speeds you can expect on what batteries. take away 15-20% for its real world top speed.

Best advice would be contact Steven Vaccaro here at OSE for good options.

Turning down end points for the esc is bad for the esc. Prop accordingly. Take Bande1 advice carefully, high kv on a boat for fun running is hard on the gear. 1900 - 2200 kv on 4s with a 442 will give you good speed, increasing prop size or pitch can give you an increase in speed. Like wise decreasing prop size will slow the boat down for your grandson. Don't worry, he will soon want to go faster.

The OSE Raider 150 esc is a great option for esc.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

yeah there seems to be a great rift between long timers on this forum and what most other people are running nowadays in regards to motor KV's and voltages. Here they all recommend low voltages and big props which naturally then pulls high current through the batteries, can puff and potentially catches them on fire, desolders connectors, etc. They claim that because they race P limited it means something. which is a 4s limited class.

most everyone else I know of run higher voltages for speed running. go look around at fast boats and notice what they're doing.

the low voltage is the route I took first because it was the advice I got here. My boat constantly melted solder joints, factory joints and silver core joints of my own. Connectors switched from xt90 to ec5 and still seen 165f. as well as puffed a CNHL pack and desoldered its wiring. and I had massive handling problem from the prop. my club has high level IMPBA record holding boat manufacturers and every single one of them told me I have to prop down. So propping down dropped my speed into the 40's. basically RTR type speeds. once I went to higher voltages that more closely matched the motor like most people do everything got cooler and the smaller prop made the boat so much better and significantly faster.

In regards to end points - Im just getting back from the lake now and I always run end points at 90-95% because Im trying different setups. I dont know where running slightly less throttle hurts an esc. it seems like another "theory" that doesnt match real world. electric cars, electric bicycles, etc all have esc's and run almost exclusively at partial throttle. as do RC airplanes and most RTR transmitters including for boats.

the motor and esc combo's I gave you are what I'm now running (as are 99% of people going over 50mph) after massive failure taking this forums advice. I should've known better anyway.

heres my temps after a 3 minute run around an sanctioned 1/3 mile oval race course at 60-65mph. 27" hull 2300kv @ 6s with x640 prop. well below even normal operating temps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bande1; 05-30-2023 at 10:18 AM.