Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta Force 34 hydro motor

Quote Originally Posted by vvviivvv View Post

You can get a lower RPM (ie, a lower average voltage) at maximum duty cycle only by lowering the input voltage. The speed control will run better with a lower input voltage even though it may be passing more amps simply because there will be less time for the FETs to be in linear mode. It is not an exaggeration to say that the FET may have 10X or more resistance when in linear mode. Heat generated is directly related to resistance.
    So basically an ESC doesn't like to be on and off or partial throttle for too long. Are you saying this because I said to back off the end point 5% (or prop down to lower load)? Thats not to lower RPM, its to lower current. Try it IRL and you will in fact find lower temps.

It's really not complicated. Do your own test with a ~1800-2200kv motor running a large prop on 4s to achieve, say, 65mph. Now run 6s with a far smaller prop with a final pitch to achieve 65mph. See which system runs cooler. The 6s does.....by far. you can then also run lower C rates and be easier on the batteries....because higher volts at lower amps

The OP who got bad advice is going to find out his boat is slow with the 1500kv he bought. So he will "prop up" and start melting connectors and his boat will handle like crap. His choices then will be to go to 8s or get the 2000kv motor to run cooler and faster.
    Last edited by Bande1; 05-27-2023 at 01:11 AM.

This thread needs to end!
    It has long lost it's way being hijacked by one person with a limited amount of his own experience and banging a drum. If you want to debate your high rpm vs lower rpm thing just start a thread for that purpose, if you want to learn. Not all hulls or setups are the same. Monos and hydros, what prop is used, motors, esc's, batteries, driving style, use, all have an impact on temps at the end of a run. I watched on the weekend, a MG smoke an esc and have super hot motors changing from 4s to 6s, all stock otherwise. Higher rpm has it's risks!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    This thread needs to end!
    It has long lost it's way being hijacked by one person with a limited amount of his own experience and banging a drum.

oh no people actually using a 99% dead discussion forum

I watched on the weekend, a MG smoke an esc and have super hot motors changing from 4s to 6s, all stock otherwise. Higher rpm has it's risks!
    sounds like too big a prop. Maybe if you consider you might be misjudging who has the "limited knowledge" you could've saved the esc. Threads like this could've helped.
    Last edited by Bande1; 05-28-2023 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    oh no people actually using a 99% dead discussion forum

Why are you even here then?

sounds like too big a prop.
    Stock props, s&b, what the manufacturer supplies for the purpose.

But I guess a you tube expert like yourself knows best about everything.

Ok I'll let you have the last say, it seems like your thing. I'm out.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Stock props, s&b, what the manufacturer supplies for the purpose.

But I guess a you tube expert like yourself knows best about everything.

Ok I'll let you have the last say, it seems like your thing. I'm out.
    stock prop for 4s. you just increased voltage, you cant just keep the same load. Did you bother to check if the stock esc is even capable of 6s? Probably not.

posting actual proof is stupid because its youtube videos....

classic dunning-kruger effect

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12