Thread: not much left turning ..

Default not much left turning ..

out at the lake today, finally got my Impulse sorted after the crash.. ugh, ripped it for 80 kph and was happy with that Octuro 440 prop (lost the stock prop and flex last month on the big lake) and otherwise stock innards. Problem now is on left turn the rudder is less than .250 from the back of the blade to the tip of the prop. I am surmising that the prop at moderate to hi speed is stealing water from the blade on left hand turns as it barely will turn left, the righthand turn is good. I tried adjusting the steering ratio on the TX but made little difference. In rudder amidships, it runs pretty straight with only slight port lean as the ESC is on the portside and maybe I need to balance that out and wondered if anyone else had this problem with the Impulse 32 so I went to that page and no one has posted since 2015...any , I would be greatly obliged.

It would require a bit more work (due to the fiberglass hull)...but, you could try doing the same thing I did to my Shockwave - I installed a second rudder, to the left of the prop. Here's a short 6 second video:

https://youtu.be/55o61yZ8rw4

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

TFL adjustable length stinger will let you set the prop distance from 74mm to 84mm I believe it is. you can run the prop totally behind the rudder.

That would be a great option except for having to get a flex shaft to fit ( mo money ) say, 40$plus the stinger is 30$ . so it will come down to which is cheaper , the twin rudder or extended stinger. hmmm off to the number cruncher... thanks for the options you guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    TFL adjustable length stinger will let you set the prop distance from 74mm to 84mm I believe it is. you can run the prop totally behind the rudder.

ok I can sympathize there. lol. maybe try washers to offset the rudder away from the prop a few mm.

No mono with an offset rudder is going to turn left as well as it does right, save your cash and run clockwise curcits like it was designed for.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Indeed, you are spot on and much cheaper solution !
    Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    No mono with an offset rudder is going to turn left as well as it does right, save your cash and run clockwise curcits like it was designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    True...and, for a boat intended for racing, I'd completely agree...but, for boats intended for pure pleasure, there's absolutely no reason why a boat shouldn't be able to turn equally well in either direction. Besides, the cost of a second rudder, and other needed parts, for the dual-rudder I mentioned, is fairly minimal.

With a wider hull, such as the SonicWake, or a cat, the single offset rudder doesn't cause any noticable problems...but, when dealing with a narrower hull, such as the Impulse & Shockwave, it becomes a very noticable problem. People operating boats for 'pleasure' don't want to be forced into acting like a NASCAR driver going the wrong way...they want to be an Indy/F1 driver (on the water).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place