Thread: Futaba rx?s questions

Default Futaba rx?s questions

My radio is a 7pxr; my receivers are R334SBS; I have one in each boat.

When I switch boats, and ?models?, my rx will allow rudder control but not speed control. I keep the rx in a tight waterproof box so rebinding when switching boats isn?t my preferred option as I?d have to remove the rx from the watertight box which would take too long.

Is there a way to use dedicated rx?s and not have to rebind when switching to different boats/different receivers? Do I have to recalibrate the controllers when switching to a new rx?

Once a Futaba T-FHSS receiver is bound and assigned to a model memory, it stays there until deleted. I ahve about 10 receivers bound to my 7PX and I can easily switch between boats, each with their own custom trim and button mapping. Often times, the throttle channel needs to be reversed to work with boat ESC's, a detail that escaped me when I switched from Spektrum to Futaba and was quite frustrating the first weekend.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    My radio is a 7pxr; my receivers are R334SBS; I have one in each boat.

When I switch boats, and ?models?, my rx will allow rudder control but not speed control. I keep the rx in a tight waterproof box so rebinding when switching boats isn?t my preferred option as I?d have to remove the rx from the watertight box which would take too long.

Is there a way to use dedicated rx?s and not have to rebind when switching to different boats/different receivers? Do I have to recalibrate the controllers when switching to a new rx?
    That's odd as my Futaba boats will all run at the same time if powered on with no need to rebind anything?

This was extremely frustrating to me coming from Spektrum on all my planes and helis which have model match, meaning each RX bind has its own unique code so you cannot connect or control the wrong model. I bought a tug to use as a rescue boat, but discovered that the main boat model that I flipped in the water and is disabled would run along with the tug when I tried to send it out even though I had switched over to the tug model in my Futaba radio from the one that flipped.

This is idiotic, so what is the point of even having multiple model settings in the radio if changing from one to the other doesnt disable the previous one you are no longer using? The Spektrum model match feature has spoiled me I guess. The other Futaba "gotcha" like fweasel mentioned is that in most cases the throttle channel needs to be reversed in the radio to be seen as "normal" on the RX side. Only Futaba has this issue, so why they do their throttle signal different than everyone else is beyond me?

This can prevent the ESC from arming because its not seeing zero throttle at startup if your ESC has this safety feature, or if you can get it to run, many times forward throttle will actually be a reduced performance because the signal its getting is actually back or the brake function that is being applied. It will also be impossible to program the ESC endpoints because holding full throttle at startup to enter the program mode will actually be full reverse signal and you won't get the program tones

You say you get rudder but no throttle, which is exactly what will happen if the ESC isnt seeing zero to arm, but rudder will work fine in this situation, so Im wondering if the throttle signal channel is not being seen the correct direction on that particular model?

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Once a Futaba T-FHSS receiver is bound and assigned to a model memory, it stays there until deleted. I ahve about 10 receivers bound to my 7PX and I can easily switch between boats, each with their own custom trim and button mapping. Often times, the throttle channel needs to be reversed to work with boat ESC's, a detail that escaped me when I switched from Spektrum to Futaba and was quite frustrating the first weekend.
    Hmmm.. I must be doing something incorrectly.

I don’t use the bec. Castle says to plug the aux wire into channel #3 or 4 on rx. Do I need to cut aux wires leading to the rx?

I have a issue with my 7PXR too, sometimes switching from one boat to another, i.e. going into the models, selecting a new one it connects but i get minimal steering travel, i have to re-bind the RX to get it to work normally...

kinda crazy when you are talking well into $1500 worth of TX & RX's.
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

Quote Originally Posted by vvviivvv View Post
    I have a issue with my 7PXR too, sometimes switching from one boat to another, i.e. going into the models, selecting a new one it connects but i get minimal steering travel, i have to re-bind the RX to get it to work normally...

kinda crazy when you are talking well into $1500 worth of TX & RX's.
    My steering channel works fine when switching between models. I’ve only had this issue with castle esc’s. I’ll try it with a ZTW to see if there’s any change.

Are you using different model receivers? For example; I have the 3304 sbs-E and 3304 sbs. The E rx seems fine when switching between models. The S is where the throttle issue comes into play.

I switched the same rx into another boat with a ZTW and it worked perfectly. This seems like a castle issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    That's odd as my Futaba boats will all run at the same time if powered on with no need to rebind anything?

This was extremely frustrating to me coming from Spektrum on all my planes and helis which have model match, meaning each RX bind has its own unique code so you cannot connect or control the wrong model. I bought a tug to use as a rescue boat, but discovered that the main boat model that I flipped in the water and is disabled would run along with the tug when I tried to send it out even though I had switched over to the tug model in my Futaba radio from the one that flipped.
    This depends on the type of receiver protocol being used. FASST receivers when powered on, will all all respond to a single transmitter at the same time...i.e. the flipped boat and the rescue tug. The newer T-FHSS protocol is discrete, and only the model selected on the transmitter will respond to commands. In my scenario, I run an older FASST receiver in my rescue tug, and T-FHSS receivers in all of my boats. When one of the boats flip, I switch the transmitter over to the Tug model memory, and send it out to retrieve the boat. The flipped boat remains dead in the water and does not respond to the transmitter until I switch the transmitter back.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I switched the same rx into another boat with a ZTW and it worked perfectly. This seems like a castle issue.
    I would do another throttle posisiotn calibration procedure on that particular ESC/Rx/Model memory combo. I have several boats with MMX8S ESC's and futaba T-FHSS receivers and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary about their operation, aside from needing to reverse the Futaba throttle channel.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I see, thanks and good to know fweasel! Ive been away from Futaba for 17 years now, so its was very disappointing when I discovered I would need to remove the Futaba RX I purchased and put the cheap RTR RX setup back in the tug rather than having both on the same TX.

You mention you are using a Castle MMX8S in one of your boats. Its that a high amp FE model? I'm looking to possibly upgrade to a stouter ESC than the HW 180 Im using now, but the Hydra with the water cooling is huge and heavy! Is there aftermarket cooling available for the smaller MMX8S like there used to be for the bigger version XLX2 before the water cooled Hydra was released, or are you getting by OK with running it stock with only the cooling fins/fan?
    Last edited by Xrayted; 04-19-2023 at 06:04 PM.

I would do another throttle posisiotn calibration procedure on that particular ESC/Rx/Model memory combo. I have several boats with MMX8S ESC's and futaba T-FHSS receivers and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary about their operation, aside from needing to reverse the Futaba throttle channel.
    I can’t get into the calibration protocol for some reason. Following the steps listed on castles site, holding the throttle full trigger at startup, and the esc goes yellow.
    I was on the phone with castle today for about 30 minutes before I had to go so I’ll give them another try tomorrow to see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    I see, thanks and good to know fweasel! Ive been away from Futaba for 17 years now, so its was very disappointing when I discovered I would need to remove the Futaba RX I purchased and put the cheap RTR RX setup back in the tug rather than having both on the same TX.

You mention you are using a Castle MMX8S in one of your boats. Its that a high amp FE model? I'm looking to possibly upgrade to a stouter ESC than the HW 180 Im using now, but the Hydra with the water cooling is huge and heavy! Is there aftermarket cooling available for the smaller MMX8S like there used to be for the bigger version XLX2 before the water cooled Hydra was released, or are you getting by OK with running it stock with only the cooling fins/fan?
    yes, high amp. yes, water cooled kit from Stump Fab. very compact, but can handle 300A continuous.

PXL_20220814_153438176.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I can’t get into the calibration protocol for some reason. Following the steps listed on castles site, holding the throttle full trigger at startup, and the esc goes yellow.
    I was on the phone with castle today for about 30 minutes before I had to go so I’ll give them another try tomorrow to see what they say.
    Is your throttle trim adjustment set to 0 before the calibration? Is the throttle channel set to reverse in futaba setup menu?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

yes, high amp. yes, water cooled kit from Stump Fab. very compact, but can handle 300A continuous.

PXL_20220814_153438176.jpg
    Awesome, thanks! So Stump Fab does make a cooling plate conversion for the smaller unit then. I knew they had one for the bigger version initially, so thanks for the info!

Is your throttle trim adjustment set to 0 before the calibration? Is the throttle channel set to reverse in futaba setup menu?
    Yes. This is a Hydra issue apparently.

Yes. This is a Hydra issue apparently.
    I have two Hydra XLX2's waiting to be installed in a twin cat being built. I haven't hooked them up to a receiver yet.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

So it’s the b-link that caused the disruption. I switched over to the castle link, reset the values, updated the firmware, and controller is back up and running. I read that the b-link causes issues for the XLX2’s and that the MM8’s are unaffected by the b-link.

Both controllers up and running again!

What a b-link? Is that the bluetooth plug-in adapter?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

What a b-link? Is that the bluetooth plug-in adapter?
    It is the Bluetooth adapter. It doesn’t communicate well with the XLX2’s.