Thread: 3s or 6s ?

Default 3s or 6s ?

so, if one puts two 3s lipo in series, is the resulting out put 6s? one person says yes another person says no, the ecs will still only see 3s ...... An old nicad man here and the newer lipo's I use on my
    Typhoon drone don't have this problem, (as I can only run one battery at a time).

In series, two 3S LiPo's connected together is 6S, what the ESC sees.

In parallel, two 3S LiPo's connected together is 3S, what the ESC sees.

Quote Originally Posted by paulejr View Post
    so, if one puts two 3s lipo in series, is the resulting out put 6s? one person says yes another person says no, the ecs will still only see 3s ...... An old nicad man here and the newer lipo's I use on my
    Typhoon drone don't have this problem, (as I can only run one battery at a time).
    One person is wrong.

3S, 4S, 6S etc is just the total count of cells wired in series. We're really just using 1S batteries wired in series. A 3S pack has three 1S cells shrink wrapped together with a single balance plug and one set of pos/neg wires. Wire two 3S packs together in series, and you've got six 1S cells... for 6S total. RC battery voltage/cell count is listed as to what voltage is connected to the ESC, not the total number of packs crammed into a hull.

You can wire two 3S packs in parallel to a single ESC and you stay at the same 3S voltage, but double the mAh (run time).

The difficult nomenclature to understand, at least it was for me starting out, is when multiple batteries are wired in parallel, for example 6S2P. 6 cells total wired in series, two sets of those then wired in parallel.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thank you all, that clears away some of the mud....