Thread: reha AVL 36 1980 Muncey record holder

Default reha AVL 36 1980 Muncey record holder

In the process of rehabilitating an 198x AVL Blue Blaster that Muncey drove to record at San Diego .. i got to watch !! anyway this poor tired nitro boat was not painted correctly , construction was a bit sketchy and i just could not let it go. Yes FE power is on the table and photos to follow if i can figure out how.. anyway i have to completely redo the engine hatch and driver deck and am in need of a hold down method that i can make water resistant.. tape to come ? This will be a 6s twin battery , single motor on either series or parallel connection.  11.2/22.4...? So, i also have to remake the engine bay cover as it is woefully inadequate and i doubt it will hold up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Nicely done! Do you have some photos without the hatch? And what motor and esc are you using?

Dang that is a good looking boat. I want to see video of it. and more pics please. lets see the inside!

Here's the 411 : Leopard 4092 1480 kv, TZW 160 w/ xtra alum cooling plate , separate cooling lines for both mtr and esc, G2 smart batteries 2 x 3s 5000 11.2 v, stacks by HSC, no prop yet, but thinking is 42 or 43mm dia x 1.6 pitch .. I have one from Dasboata and CNC alum ,but am looking at testing with some glass filled from OSE hoping to learn from.

AVL INT 1.jpgAVL INT 2.jpg

X445 maybe even X447.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Thanks for the additional info. Yes, that setup could easily spin bigger props than you suggested. I would start with a 45mm 1.4 or 1.6 pitch and go from there.
    If you have the smaller props already available, it will not hurt to try of course.

Finally, my AVL U-1 got its second maiden run this morning on near glass before the breeze came up.
    At about 30mph started hoping. can't move the batteries any further fwd as they up against the nose bulkhead. But, since this run was on 2G, 3sx2 5000mah , 11.2 v, 100C batteries I have enough room to side by side athwart ship the batteries ( verses longitudinal) which will move the cg fwd by an inch or so. float test was level and the transom was in water about 1/4 inch. Nope did not flop it !!! I wondered if maybe someone could advise about adjusting the strut down a bit if it would help put the nose down at speed... xtra room for weights is sketchy ... Thanks again for everyone's help, it almost seems like a community project !

https://youtube.com/shorts/qc-ZLZ1uGEE

I'm in the process of building the AVL U1. Here's what the plans show as a starting point.20230606_221710.jpg

Same stuff came off this one that I got from a Texas hobby store. It was in pretty sad shape from the nitro and oil spills . Looks like a
    Dumas kit ? Well i still have the rudder and bracket , pick up tube but the brass Octura strut was broken. Converting it to FE was a real pain but i enjoy a challenge. I completely modernized it as it was impossible to try to make it scale . If you are , good luck and if you need the parts i have , they yours. Nearly identical to the U-76 I built in 1980ish....well, sorta.

I appreciate the offer!! I'm doing a custom build and will be using Speedmaster hardware. The boat will end up more like a sport 40 (no wing) with a custom paint job. I started a thread about the build in this category. Happy boating!!!