Thread: I fell for it

Default I fell for it

So I told a fellow on this swap shop, that I wanted to buy his motor. Then I went in the living room to watch some TV before bed. Shortly, I got a text saying that he saw my message and would ship the motor ASAP after I sent him the money by paypal, and here is the address.

Well, makes sense to me so I sent him the money. Couple of days later, the REAL seller messaged me saying "where's the money"?

Luckily , Paypal sent me the money back. Even though it was my foolish mistake.

So if anyone text you about a deal on this forum, don't do it!
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
    So I told a fellow on this swap shop, that I wanted to buy his motor. Then I went in the living room to watch some TV before bed. Shortly, I got a text saying that he saw my message and would ship the motor ASAP after I sent him the money by paypal, and here is the address.

Well, makes sense to me so I sent him the money. Couple of days later, the REAL seller messaged me saying "where's the money"?

Luckily , Paypal sent me the money back. Even though it was my foolish mistake.

So if anyone text you about a deal on this forum, don't do it!
    That scams been around for awhile

Yes, another slight variation of the classic Nigerian WTB ad scam where they always have a "friend" that just happens to have exactly what you are looking for.

In this twist they will see you have made a deal in the classifieds, and search out your username to see if they can find where you have posted your personal phone number or email address anywhere on any other forums since many use the same usernames across multiple platforms. Then they spoof that info and pose as the seller sending you their PP info.

Part of the issue is that most forums make your profile contact info available to just anyone so that you can be contacted outside of the forum even by non members, so make sure that is all disabled in the forum privacy settings and NEVER post phone numbers or emails directly into any forum post! I see this being done all the time across various forums.

If not for scammers, you also have millions of bots scouring the net that collect emails and phone numbers to sell for spam list, so just dont do it ever! You wouldn't ever write your personal email or phone number on a public billboard for everyone to have, so why would one plaster it all over the web for billions to have? This is something I see more often being done by the more "senior" members of my other RC hobby forums, completely clueless as to what the consequences of doing so can be.

And run from anyone that ask you pay them PP friends and family unless they are actually your family! Glad PP was able to reverse the transaction Don
    Last edited by Xrayted; 03-25-2023 at 02:12 PM.

I recently had someone DM me using the same heading as a motor listing I posted on. Saying it is easier to text him. I noticed it was a different user name but I had to double check. Glad I did. I'm not sure who to report that stuff to but it's BS for sure.

"senior members" I like that, and yes, I qualify for that position. I'm almost 70, actually only 69 and 1/2 , damit!!!

I usually can spot this sort of thing but, late in the evening and two beers down, and he seemed to be the real seller.

I hope he rots in hell.
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

Oh no!!! Well, at least PayPal is good for something. Glad you were refunded.