Thread: WHY OH WHY all the worrying about timing??

Default WHY OH WHY all the worrying about timing??

why
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

I'll bite... why not?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I'm actually serious about my question. I've asked before and didn't get much of an answer. And I doubt that I will this time either.

It really doesn't matter that much. Lehner recommends 15* on their motors and 99% of them are delta.

I've run from 0 to 25 and couldn't tell any difference.

I pay absolutely no attention to if a motor is a Y or a D. I just get the kv I want and plug it up and play.
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
    I'm actually serious about my question. I've asked before and didn't get much of an answer. And I doubt that I will this time either.

It really doesn't matter that much. Lehner recommends 15* on their motors and 99% of them are delta.

I've run from 0 to 25 and couldn't tell any difference.

I pay absolutely no attention to if a motor is a Y or a D. I just get the kv I want and plug it up and play.
    But, Don, don't the "Y" wind motors produce more power (or RPM) at higher timing (like 15 deg instead of 0 deg)?
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

That's the claim Ron, But I don't know for sure that it's true. It hard to tell in a boat. RC cars can make use of increased timing to gain rpm as the load lessens from accelerating .

That load never goes away on a boat, it's always climbing to get on top of the water.

The Ys do seem to smooth out a little when the timing gets above 7.5 - 10 degrees. Now that I run Castle escs in everything I race, I leave them on the default setting of 10*.
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

Increasing timing on an electric motor is effectively raising the KV a bit, but as Don said, it's a crapshoot as whether it will really matter that much. I can tell you that on both my boats, the actual peak speed will go up by only a tiny amount 3-5MPH on GPS which I dont even consider above the noise floor from a controlled testing standpoint, however the temps of the motor wires/bullets and capacitors will get much hotter for no other gain.

I was experimenting between zero timing up to 15 at the lake this week and zero ran cool, but each successive timing increase got the wiring hotter and hotter until the three motor wires actually melted grooves into the flotation foam they were touching inside the boat, and my cap pack was 180F and too hot to touch. This was while using much larger 6.5mm bullets for my motor/ESC connections as well. All for practically no gain in power/speed at all vs just running at zero which is where all of my motors are currently set

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    I was experimenting between zero timing up to 15 at the lake this week and zero ran cool
    What is the "wind" of the motors you were testing?

Y wind

Just because you set the motor timing at a certain value in an ESC doesn’t mean that is the actual timing being used. ESCs like current Castles use feedback from the motor to constantly adjust the actual timing the motor sees. The value you set is just around the maximum the ESC may use. Older controllers were not as sophisticated and were more dependent on what the modeler set, but good, modern ESCs never use a fixed timing, if they did then overall motor performance would be terrible.

I know from personal experience that advancing the timing setting on Castle controllers and Wye wind motors has resulted in some slight increases in speed with SAW boats, but after a point there is no noticeable change.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Correct, there is no black or white, one size fits all answers here. The set values Castle uses in their ESCs aren't even in degrees like many think. They are arbitrary numbers set by Castle that represent a "range" of low medium and high dynamic values, so a number of 5 set into a Castle ESC is not the same thing as a value of 5 in another brand ESC. They are all dynamic in their timing, but what the actual set values mean behind the scenes can vary from one brand to the next

There are way too many variables in each build for there to be any one size fits all answers here, so in the end all one can do is experiment to find what works best for their particular setup anecdotally. In my case, higher timing just adds more heat to the electronics for no real appreciable performance gain on my boats. Timing does however make a big difference on my big electric 160MPH speed RC helis running big 14HP outrunner motors