Thread: Melting connectors

Default Melting connectors

I have a Sonicwake V2. I am running it aggressively for 5 minutes. My batteries, ESC and motor come in an acceptable temperatures but my IC5 connectors and EC5 connectors keep melting and fuse together.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

use bigger connectors !!! at least 6.5 MM

What is your connector of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by jhamm View Post
    What is your connector of choice?
    well everything I run is 8mm or more,,,I don't run RTR boats ,,, get the green castle that OSE sells of anything 6.5mm or over you cant beat OSE service or quality!

use the castle polarized 6.5mm they can handle 200amp i use them on all mine batteries never had a problem any more (it's a lot soldering but worthwile)

I like the 6.5 Castles and haven't seen meltdowns under 350 amps. The 8mm can be hard to disconnect. Not all 6.5's are the same and Castles seen to be the best I have found.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Castle sells 6.5mm and 8mm bullets. I use them on all of my motor to ESC connections. I use their green 6.5mm polarized green connectors on all of my 3S packs.

The ESC5's are likely too loose fitting, which increases the resistance dramatically, and as a result, temperature. A bad solder joint can also increase resistance and cause a spike in temperature. A quick fix might be to gently spread the prongs of the male connector out with a philips screwdriver down the middle. The permanent fix is to solder on connectors rated for more current, like the castles, or OSE 8mm anti-spark.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

QS8, adds anti-spark features. Run them in all my boats.

Cheapest ones:
    https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php...path=66&page=2
    or this store
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=ose-qs8-anti

Amazon is always more expensive and they typically have fake versions.

I had similar issues so I switched to Ec8
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2

Make sure you have a good soldering iron, and solder. I found once I got a high quality iron and a good 60/40 solder I never had any issues again. Just a suggestion if you haven?t already done so.

Have you had good luck with the EC8 connectors?

I personally run 6.5mm bullets, was going to go to 8mm bullets in the future. Every other reply in regards to connectors above is spot on good recommendations.

I tried a few Qs8 connectors. They are very heavy and extremely hard to pull apart!

Quote Originally Posted by jhamm View Post
    I tried a few Qs8 connectors. They are very heavy and extremely hard to pull apart!
    Any bullet connector that is hard to separate can be adjusted to a needle nose pliers and a small amount of pressure on the male end prongs in a circular pattern. You don't want a loose connection because you will dramatically increase resistance and heat. I make the connections on my charge leads relatively loose because they don't see anywhere the current flow that the ESC's plugs do under load.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)