Thread: 100 mph set ups

Default 100 mph set ups

Hi all,
    It’s been awhile since being in the boat forums. I?ve watched a few YouTube videos on the TFL genesis900 hitting 100 mph. I?m very interested in having a boat that can do this. I?m assuming that this does not come as an RTR and components would need to be changed. Looking for help on suggested ways you guys would go about to achieve these speeds. I have 4 grandsons that are saying ?Pop, can?t this go any faster?? Start with an RTR or buy separate components. Any help is greatly appreciated.

a tfl zonda can reach 100mph, to go that fast is only 1 maybe a 2e run then you have to stop otherwise it cost a lot of money ,to go that fast is always expensive

I run an old SuperVee27 right now. The boys are getting older and I want to go bigger and a lot faster. I won’t run it all the time at top speed but the ability to do that once in awhile I’m sure will be fun. Besides the stock Zonda, what electronic combination set ups are capable of this? I don’t mind having to partially build something.

The 37" Genesis can do 100+mph, but it takes a lot of work. The hull needs to be reinforced because you will crash while chasing that speed. My single motor Genesis runs about 90mph on 6S and 103mph on 8S. The hull runs pretty stable at those speeds with the right water conditions. Here is a build thread I did for that hull that might give you some ideas. A twin powered hull will get you to those speeds a little easier, albeit at a higher equipment cost. A longer hull will also be more stable at speed.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thank you for the info, gentlemen. Fweasel, that was quite the build. Thank you for sharing.

A second V hull and chasing each other around at 50mph is generally a Hella lot more fun and can be a lot cheaper and less expensive than chasing the 100.

Just an idea from the 100+ club (twin powered Zonda). https://youtu.be/S0n6eaYN6yw

The Genesis is better for high speed with triangle shaped skates.

A completely stock dual motor 42' Zonda with the basic 120amp ESC's and 36 series motors will go faster than 100mph with the right props.. A 38' Oxidean Animal cat will easily do the same thing and both these boats are ARTR, you just need a radio and servo. These are expensive full carbon hulls, a much cheaper but potentially just as fast alternative is a wood rigger kit you build around 33 inches or larger, like a JAE FE21 v2.. Not too expensive, like around $350 for the kit and all hardware and can hit 100mph with the right prop

Some great information here. Thank you for the replies. I’ve been doing more research and I may be toning down my expectations a bit. I say this because I’m preferring the looks of a monohull over a cat. It seems that these may not hit those speeds as easily. So I guess I’m looking for a nice mono, hopefully close to the 40” length.