Thread: Traxxas blast bogged down :/

Default Traxxas blast bogged down :/

I bought a traxxas blast about a year and a half ago. It was really fun even though its not the fastest boat in the traxxas lineup after having it for 6 months it did this thing where the motor sounded generally fine but it couldnt go faster than 4 mph its almost like the weight is off on it the front of the boat and gets too much air where the prop is also the battery acts strange like it?s outputting an uneven amount of power . Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Theman; 03-12-2023 at 05:34 PM.

how are the batteries ?and is the drive line lubricated?

I used wd40 and I don’t really know if the batteries are ok it’s just a 6 cell

WD40 is not the best for this job ,it's better to use light grease and check when you charge the battery for inner resistance on the charger and it should hold afterchargeing 25.2 v after about 4hrs then charge to storage mode

Quote Originally Posted by koen View Post
    WD40 is not the best for this job ,it's better to use light grease and check when you charge the battery for inner resistance on the charger and it should hold afterchargeing 25.2 v after about 4hrs then charge to storage mode
    My gosh, 6S voltage in a Blast? No way. The Blast is made to run on a NiMH battery, and the ESC doesn't even have Low Voltage Cutoff for LiPo's. They can be run on 2S or 3S LiPo with an aftermarket ESC, aftermarket LVC, or forgoing that safety function. The Blast is also straight shaft driven with a u-joint outside of the transom to allow the steerable outdrive to turn, not a flexshaft.

To the OP, pull the shaft and confirm nothing is corroded or rusted up in there. It may be time for a new battery and/or a new motor. Is your prop still in good shape? Has the angle of the outdrive changed by accident? That can upset the way a boat runs for sure.

I’m sorry I am kinda new to Rc stuff this is the battery I have in it https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...t-SubC-3000mAh i pulled on the prop and nothing is rusty or corroded the prop looks okay and I don’t really have a reference picture to see if the angle of the outdrive has changed

The motor does look decently corroded and is starting to get some rust along with some screws

I don’t know how to check for “check when you charge the battery for inner resistance on the charger and it should hold afterchargeing 25.2 v after about 4hrs then charge to storage mode”

Quote Originally Posted by Theman View Post
    I used wd40 and I don’t really know if the batteries are ok it’s just a 6 cell
    I think he has a 6 cell Nimh 7.2v.

A rusty/corroded motor is likely the problem. The shaft can rust in the bushings.

For the op, you may want to look at upgrading to a brushless setup, or a better boat. At the very least if your budget/enthusism level are low, a replacement motor will be pretty cheap.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Unfortunately after buying a new stinger motor for it, it does the same thing could it be the prop? It looks a little tattered (it?s hard to see in the picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking Update:

I tested a 7 cell nihm battery and it didn?t help