Thread: How small is too small?

Default How small is too small?

Before I go blowing things up I should ask first.

So a friend sent me a hull to mess around with. It's a 19" cat (Bancroft monster) and I have a motor sitting around. It's a 2845 2800kv inrunner. I'm assuming the motor is okay for this project. It fits the stock motor mount. I'm thinking an 80a esc on 4s. As far as prop, I have a 36mm 2 blade cnc prop. Think this is the right way to go?

The motor Kv is really too high for 4S, it would work better on 3S. The prop is on the large side but might work if you kept a close eye on temps. This little boat will work best on calm water. Back in the day we raced 19” Key West cats with brushed motors and round cells, they were lots of fun!

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

So what would you recommend for a setup to hit 50 mph? Thanks fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The motor Kv is really too high for 4S, it would work better on 3S. The prop is on the large side but might work if you kept a close eye on temps. This little boat will work best on calm water. Back in the day we raced 19? Key West cats with brushed motors and round cells, they were lots of fun!

Fluid is right at 3s is about a normal rpm range unless you’re looking to run a brushless turbine at almost 50000 rpm. You can run a 4s on a 425-430 prop, but at those speeds the drive train will not survive very long. The heat will toast everything.
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2

Hmm... okay I'll definitely take heed on the advise. Do you think I can get this boat to achieve 50 mph with the stock motor? If not, what would you recommend?

So the stock setup on this boat is:

D2842 2800kv outrunner
    30a esc
    3 blade propeller unknown size (plastic)

Here are the motor specs:

Specs:
    RPM/V: 2800KV
    Max Power: 333W
    Max current: 30A
    Idle current: 4A
    Shaft: 3.2mm
    Bolt holes spacing: 19 x 19mm
    Bolt thread: M3
    Plug: 3.5mm Bullet
    Motor dimensions: 29mm x 48mm
    Weight: 109g

I have a 22" catamaran hull project, motors are 2216 outrunners (3350kV) , the battery is 3S 1P .