Thread: MG36 Inlay

Default MG36 Inlay

Just wondering if anyone has done a carbon inlay? We have a newbie member that has brought a V2, and while the hull seems reasonably rigid he would like an inlay done to it. Muggins here has agreed to help out and do that for him. So just wondering if anyone has done this already and has any pointers.

My plan atm, is to fill the sponson tips with resin, inlay the sponsons as far forward as practical and back as far as the motor mounts. Unscrew the center trays and put a carbon layer across the tunnel allowing for the tray mounts.
    i will also clean up, sharpen and balance the props.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I don't believe the inlay is worth the effort. I would add a good deck support well-bonded the the deck and tunnel. Check torsional stiffness before and after.
    Otto RC Marine

Hi Peter you have to do the inlay to keep the hull in one peace, you can find a lot info on the forum and facebook ,if you don't reenforce the hull it will self destruct

So it's not worth it? yet if not done it would split on a hard crash? Can anyone stand behind doing "inlays"? I used to own a full CF fightercat and after several flips it did develop a fracture on the top right sponson. This fightercat cheetah was doing over 75. It really depends on how it hits the water.

I now own the mg36 and it seems to have cracks on the bottom and I will for sure reinforce the hull even if it's for placebo. But I do believe it helps for fiberglass hulls.
    Last edited by Woohoo\o/; 03-06-2023 at 05:06 PM.

99% do the inlay. A heavy soggy layer of 3k doesn't add a whole lot of stiffness IMO.I feel the hull failures are due to torsional twist and compression in a crash, and these can be sufficiently mitigated with proper bracing, an hour's work and $20. There is also the shrinkage to deal with which sucks up the center ride surface and brings them all eventually to anhedral. The ride suffers. Bracing the center sponson to the deck will also help but can limit battery accessibility if you run them in the sponsons.
    Otto RC Marine