Thread: New setup motor only spins in one direction

Default New setup motor only spins in one direction

Hello,

I just converted my Sonicwake over to OSE 150A ESC, and an SSS 4092 motor and still using the stock receiver (SR315). My problem is that the motor spins in only one direction. No matter how I adjust the transmitter, still no luck. I tried another SR315 from another boat and it does the same thing. I did a little research here and didn't find anything that solved the problem. Any suggestions?

Are you trying to change the direction of the motor? Swap any two of the three motor wires.

Are you trying to enable reverse? It sounds like it's disabled in the ESC. Enable it by either listening to beeps and using the transmitter as outlined in the manual, or buy a program card for your ESC.

Thank you for the reply. I'm trying to enable reverse. I followed the ESC manual and watched the OSE video but still no luck. As you suggested, I'm guessing I need to buy a program card for the ESC. Is this what I need? https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-R-box

Thank you so much!

Be careful if you are successful and using a flexshaft, there is a reason that high current boat ESCs generally have no reverse or locked out reverse, if you use more than a tickle of throttle you risk unravelling the flex, locking up the driveline, and burning out the ESC and/or motor.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

it also spews water into the boat without a liner.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Be careful if you are successful and using a flexshaft, there is a reason that high current boat ESCs generally have no reverse or locked out reverse, if you use more than a tickle of throttle you risk unravelling the flex, locking up the driveline, and burning out the ESC and/or motor.
    I'm not understanding what you mean. I was hoping to find out if I should buy the program card to solve my problem. I personally am not skilled enough to drive a boat without any reverse whatsoever. I'm sure you are correct that it might burn up the ESC, etc. However, I don't want to give up reverse because it might burn up an ESC, damage a flex cable, or whatever else it might do. I'm hoping to purchase the program card when/if I find out from someone on the forum if this is the next step I need to take to solve my problem.

Thank you so much,

Quote Originally Posted by SkipLewis View Post
    I'm not understanding what you mean. I was hoping to find out if I should buy the program card to solve my problem. I personally am not skilled enough to drive a boat without any reverse whatsoever. I'm sure you are correct that it might burn up the ESC, etc. However, I don't want to give up reverse because it might burn up an ESC, damage a flex cable, or whatever else it might do. I'm hoping to purchase the program card when/if I find out from someone on the forum if this is the next step I need to take to solve my problem.

Thank you so much,
    You can set the model to have reverse, but just understand that its not going to be a normal drive mode like going forwards. Fast electrics boats aren't supposed to go backward well or at all in most cases. It can swamp the boat if moving too quickly, but the big one, as has already been started, is it tries to unwind the flex shaft.

You will notice that a left hand spinning prop boat, which most are, have the wind in the cable twisted a specific direction so that it doesn't try to uncoil itself from the resistance of the prop. You can certainly activate reverse in the ESC, but using will require quick little japs of the throttle just to move it back away from whatever you are trapped against. Do not try to run it around with full reverse throttle constantly. The reverse throttle will also be much more limited in speed by design of the ESC

There really shouldn't be any need to go backward at all if you are running in anything bigger than a swimming pool. Reverse is more of a slow scale boat or cabin cruiser type thing for the scale movements and appearance. Not fast electric race designs, so my question is what specific issue are you finding yourself in that requires you to have to back the boat up vs simply going forward and looping it back around to you?

Forget it. I shouldn't have to defend my question.

You literally asked for further clarification in post #6, and then you have a tantrum and take your ball and go home when someone responds and gives you the info you asked for

No one is asking you to defend anything! Its just not a common request, so we are trying to understand your specific situation. No one here knows if you are brand new at boats and clueless at what you are doing or not. Your questions seem to indicate that you are new at this, so we just trying to get a feel for what you need. How is anyone supposed to help you if you don't provide any specific details of what exactly your situation is?

Good luck figuring it all out on your own from here considering you dont seem to show any gratitude for those that took the time to try and help you. My post and others were very clear on what to do if you really want it, and some of the pitfalls to be aware of if using it, so I'm not sure what more you want?
    Last edited by Xrayted; 11-11-2023 at 04:38 PM.

You can program the ESC by just using your remote. You will need to have the chart handy showing the programmable parameters for the ESC your using (Flycolor 150). If you lost it, you should be able to find it online pretty easily. A quick search on Youtube led me to this video, which should help you out. If it doesn't, search for another one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W-No6_0MeA