Thread: Dumas 36" hydroplane conversion to electric

Default Dumas 36" hydroplane conversion to electric

I need help with conversion of old, 30 years or more, Dumas 36" hydroplane conversion from gas to electric, what size motor should I use, brand? battery size? Radio I have no issue with, any help will be appreciated. Thanks

It depends on your goals, racing, fun running? For a reasonable speed and runtime a 4082 motor around 1400kv on 6s. You have more give when playing with prop sizes and easier on the esc side of things. It also depends on how much room you have for batteries and getting the CG right. If it has been a nitro boat then you have a fairly narrow tub so probably around 5000mah battery. Being an older hull, it will not take really high speeds without some hull tuning, so if you are looking around the 50mph range then you may be fine with an OSE Raider 150 esc also.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

The weight of the hull is an important parameter, a 30 years old hull is heavy compared to a new one. In that case a 8S setup is an option.

That's a lot of battery for a 36" boat. The 1/8TH scale I'm building is 8S /10S @ 44" long and it's Fiberglass. Not saying you're wrong . Just surprised I was expecting 4 to 6s for a boat that size. I would expect it to be quite a bit lighter than mine. Granted my knowledge is limited.

20230116_201125.jpg

36" ex nitro. TP4060 1350 kv, ZTW 200 esc, Panther Graphene 6s 6000 mah batt., ABC 1915 prop, 110 kph heat racing.

6s is ample!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Just a fun runner with the grand kids, lots of speed not necessary needs to be controllable. Using the standard prop for now until I get better at this hobby. Thank you for you input.,
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    It depends on your goals, racing, fun running? For a reasonable speed and runtime a 4082 motor around 1400kv on 6s. You have more give when playing with prop sizes and easier on the esc side of things. It also depends on how much room you have for batteries and getting the CG right. If it has been a nitro boat then you have a fairly narrow tub so probably around 5000mah battery. Being an older hull, it will not take really high speeds without some hull tuning, so if you are looking around the 50mph range then you may be fine with an OSE Raider 150 esc also.

nice boat!!! i am rehabing a AVL U-1 , 36" from nitro to FE not sure if i can race or just play as i have others claiming my time but, having said that , would you post some photos of yours if and when you get time , this boat is prop under hull and not sure i want to stay that way.