Thread: Upgrading the M41 cause its SLOW

Default Upgrading the M41 cause its SLOW

So I used to have a m41 completely stock and it ran fast AF but I sold it (I have a hobbystore so I go though toys like underwear)

I just recently got another one it does have a brass prop not sure the pitch but the size is 42.5 everything else is stock.

Put in the batteries and the thing barely moves (maybe 15mph at full throttle)

I assumed it had a bad ESC (stock) so I put in a 120a Flycolor 6s thinking it would fix the problem, it didnt.

Im starting to assume that the prop is not the right size or pitch.

Or the motor is bad (out of the water like all boats it spins up super fast and seems fine)

I am now wanting to upgrade the motor so what would you guys recommend? I was thinking about a TP Motor.

Also I did try moving the batteries front to back and adjusting the tabs and the prop all back to stock settings.

m41-1.jpgm41-2.jpgm41-3.jpg

it looks like there is no space between the drive dog and the stinger ,you need 3mm space for drive dog and the stinger and did you grease the flex shaft?

you might have cavitation that prop looks super de-tongued. try a basic cheap TFL 443 before you buy more expensive parts.
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=tfl-5b11x44
    Last edited by Bande1; 07-29-2023 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by koen View Post
    it looks like there is no space between the drive dog and the stinger ,you need 3mm space for drive dog and the stinger and did you grease the flex shaft?

Yes it is greased. are you talking about this space?

m41-4.jpg

I put a spacer off to the lake to test

still charging batteries. So in theory could I shave sown after the tongue more so the tongue protrudes?

yeah that's that's what i mean

Quote Originally Posted by eHobbyHouse View Post
    So I used to have a m41 completely stock and it ran fast AF but I sold it (I have a hobbystore so I go though toys like underwear)

I just recently got another one it does have a brass prop not sure the pitch but the size is 42.5 everything else is stock.

Put in the batteries and the thing barely moves (maybe 15mph at full throttle)

I assumed it had a bad ESC (stock) so I put in a 120a Flycolor 6s thinking it would fix the problem, it didnt.

Im starting to assume that the prop is not the right size or pitch.

Or the motor is bad (out of the water like all boats it spins up super fast and seems fine)

I am now wanting to upgrade the motor so what would you guys recommend? I was thinking about a TP Motor.

Also I did try moving the batteries front to back and adjusting the tabs and the prop all back to stock settings.

m41-1.jpgm41-2.jpgm41-3.jpg
    Are you using a Futaba Radio/RX, or possibly a RTR TX that came with the boat that uses the same Futaba protocol? If so, you must reverse the throttle channel in order for the ESC to recognize the signal as normal. Only Futaba has this weird, backward throttle signal vs every other manufacturer.

If you dont reverse it the forward trigger will be using the reverse portion of the signal, and reverse on a boat is set to run with very limited RPM/speed and you will get exactly the behavior you are describing. It doesnt mean the motor will also turn in reverse. Its just the throttle output signal endpoints are flipped around, and forward is using the limited reverse range.

This will also prevent the ESC from being calibrated using the normal method of holding the throttle 100% then powering up the model to the get the high endpoint tone, then release the trigger to set the low throttle endpoint, as it wont recognize 100% throttle to go in calibration mode

If so, simply reverse the throttle channel in the radio, then run though the ESC calibration again and see if you get more RPM in forward
    Last edited by Xrayted; 07-29-2023 at 04:34 PM.

using a Spektrum DX5 with a 3ch receiver. Everything calibrated correctly

just got back from lake, so after adjust the stinger at its highest moving batts all the way to the front very slow start but when it planes seems like faster than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by eHobbyHouse View Post
    just got back from lake, so after adjust the stinger at its highest moving batts all the way to the front very slow start but when it planes seems like faster than stock.
    because the props. if you change them out the acceleration will come back and top speed lowered.