Thread: Tabs and Fins

Default Tabs and Fins

Newbie question:

What is the effect on a boat when adjustments are made with the adjustable tabs and trims?

Thanks,

Jim

I assume you're talking about a mono, as most other hull types don't use trim tabs.

The inner tabs affect the ride attitude of the hull. The further down the trim tabs are, the more lift at the transom which rotating about the CoG, pushes the front of the boat deeper into the water. This increases stability, but often also increases amp draw and reduces top speed. Too much trim tab, and the boat can become difficult to control and prone to bow steering.

The outer tabs affect how the boat handles while turning. The further down the trim tab is, the tighter the turning radius at speed.

Thanks. The boat is a Proboat Recoil V2. Great info.

All printed out. Thanks

Wow I didn't realise the MMPBC web pages even still existed. Most of the guys from the club in those days are still around but are either inactive or boat rarely. Merv Sowden who looked after the website doesn't do it any more or run model boats. He is however involved in full size NZ hydro historical records. The club still runs but not like it used to.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Wow I didn't realise the MMPBC web pages even still existed. Most of the guys from the club in those days are still around but are either inactive or boat rarely. Merv Sowden who looked after the website doesn't do it any more or run model boats. He is however involved in full size NZ hydro historical records. The club still runs but not like it used to.
    They don't! I had to use a web archive tool to pull up an old cache of the site!