Thread: Looking to increase torque on SonicWake. What prop should I use?

Default Looking to increase torque on SonicWake. What prop should I use?

I'm wanting a little more holeshot power on my otherwise stock Sonicwake. I realize I'll probably lose a little on the top speed which is ok. What would you recommend for a little more torque and one for a lot more torque without it being something that would cause massive overheating?

A prop with more tounge on it will have more bite at low RPM. For example, the difference between an Octura X and M series prop. The X has more tounge, on the M its rounded off and it allows more speed at higher RPM. I believe the Shockwave came with an ABC clone style prop, high rake. I'm not sure what can be done to a high rake prop to increase low RPM bite.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

large blade area does that. a good cheap prop for it is the TFL 1450. Any ocutra X4 props. most of all 3 blade props.

When you say any Octura X4 prop do you mean, for example, an Octura 440, 445, 447, etc? Would the higher the number produce more torque? Thanks so much.

Still a bit of a rookie on props, but size doesn't give you necessarily more torque. If the below is wrong, don't bash me

In the prop world, you want one that still has a 'tongue'. The CNC props listed in the store will make it more clear.
    That will give lower end torque at cost of top speed. With that picture in mind, find the equivalents from ABC/Octura etc.

I do not necessarily recommend the CNC versions, I had no luck with them. They explode if they hit small debris in the water. Never had issues with other prop materials. CNC should work fine for checkout and are a cheap alternative but not daily running.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipLewis View Post
    When you say any Octura X4 prop do you mean, for example, an Octura 440, 445, 447, etc? Would the higher the number produce more torque? Thanks so much.
    yeah X440, x445. they have like M445 and Y440 too. so you have to designate the X.

bigger props definitely give more acceleration. the more water the blade touches the more power it has to move a given hull. but it also stresses the motor at the top end. Basically props are a trade off between acceleration and top speed. Good top speed props will barely take off if at all. larger tongue is simply increasing blade area which is like adding diameter.

https://www.intlwaters.com/threads/p...calities.5748/

Awesome answers. Thanks! So with this subject in mind, will moving to a prop with more torque than stock tend to make the boat run hotter, cooler, or about the same? It would seem to me that more blade in the water will likely increase the stress on the motor which leads to more heat. Is that correct?

the Prather 220 and 225 can do very good on this boat

Quote Originally Posted by SkipLewis View Post
    Awesome answers. Thanks! So with this subject in mind, will moving to a prop with more torque than stock tend to make the boat run hotter, cooler, or about the same? It would seem to me that more blade in the water will likely increase the stress on the motor which leads to more heat. Is that correct?
    yes

Sigh! Do you know what torque is? Torque is turning force.

Props do not produce torque! Motors produce torque, it is the turning force. The turning force on the propeller creates push forwards.

What you are looking for is 'bite'.

More blade area will give better 'bite' but lower top speed and higher current draw. Reducing the blade area, by detonguing the blades can bring better efficiency, higher top speed and reduce current draw. This is a very basic explanation.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I agree that torque is strangely used by the OP and bite is the word he is looking for, and motors do generate the torque, but the prop (load) is what allows or makes the motor make torque.

Torque has a direct relationship between the power being made and the RPM, Torque (N.m) = 9.5488 x Power (kW) / Speed (RPM), and prop load has a derect relationship to the power being made.

For example if you have a 4s boat with a 2000Kv motor with an IO of 2, and run it without a coupling, it will be using 33.6W and spinning 33,600rpm, it will be producing 0.000001Nm of torque. Put the coupling on and an X437 that pulls 50A and you get 750W spinning 30,000rpm and it will be producing 0.24Nm of torque; swap that x437 for an X450 that pulls 200A and you get 2.8KW spinning 28,000rpm and it will be producing 0.95Nm (Not exact numbers, I'm guestimating prop sizes and voltage drop, and ignoring motor efficiency, but I believe it illustrates the point).
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.