Thread: New to RC boating looking for suggestions for motor And Esc

Post New to RC boating looking for suggestions for motor And Esc

I am starting to get close to finishing this hull up mystic c5000.It's 57" long and 14 1/2" wide. I am look for suggestions for electric motors, esc's and starting point for props. I am new too rc boat But not new to RC in general I have an X Maxx I play with. Looking to get 100+mph on dual 12S.

Two options: expensive, or budget friendly components. The high end route would be Lehner 3050 or 3060 motors, MGM400A ESC's on 12S with the potential for 125mph, maybe more, with a skilled driver, perfect tuning, and the right props. The less expensive option would be TP5660 888kV motors and ZTW 300A ESC's. The less expensive option has 100mph+ potential with the proper tuning, and a ceiling closer to 110mph.

Regardless of what you install electronics wise, 100mph+ speeds on a hull that large means plenty of hull reinforcement or your first crash will be a very costly one. Water is hard at those speeds.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Two options: expensive, or budget friendly components. The high end route would be Lehner 3050 or 3060 motors, MGM400A ESC's on 12S with the potential for 125mph, maybe more, with a skilled driver, perfect tuning, and the right props. The less expensive option would be TP5660 888kV motors and ZTW 300A ESC's. The less expensive option has 100mph+ potential with the proper tuning, and a ceiling closer to 110mph.

Regardless of what you install electronics wise, 100mph+ speeds on a hull that large means plenty of hull reinforcement or your first crash will be a very costly one. Water is hard at those speeds.
    That is a starting point I appreciate the information and I will go from here thank you

This is a great starting point I will look into these options. And yes it will be highly reinforced since I am building it from scratch.

Hope you do a build thread . It will be fun to watch. Go big or go home as they say.

Cool

Do no experienced members here see anything wrong with this thread? Does the OP have an experienced FE boater nearby to help him with his build? Prior experience with ?R/C? is not going to be much help to him. This is a very ambitious project for a new boater - boats are far different from trucks - and he is dealing with much more power and expense than a boxart truck. Based on years of experience watching new boaters fail at far less complex projects, without direct help I fear his project will not be successful.

I?m not trying to discourage him, but he would be much better served by starting with a less complex/expensive project on which to learn the basics. A simple newbie mistake will cost him many hundreds of dollars with a dual 12S cat. A mentor can help him prevent that. Regardless, I wish him luck on his project.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thank you for the advi really appreciate it I will take in everything that is taught to me by any of you guys. Like I said I am new to this And any information is almost good information I will take everything into consideration I do not want to fail at this. And I don't want to make any costly mistakes. So any and all information is greatly appreciated thank you.

I am still trying to figure out how to work this forum's website it won't allow me to post any pictures of what I have I'm a long way from Being on the water. But I will definitely try to build a thread

Highly suggest to start with a mono hull and single motor if you are new to boating.
    ProBoat or similar, lot less learning curve and you can always go from there. At least you will get used to driving and how your lipo/electronics will perform.

I don't think he'll be a "Just Send It" guy with a project this size. Heck my 36" Miss Geico is setup for over 100 mph and due to wind and waves my Limitless car is faster than my Geico LOL. First few times on the water is like a Test and Tune at the Dragstrip checking temps, leaks, etc and getting it dialed in before WOT runs.

Sounds like fun !

Back in the Day a friends wife told me if her son wrecks my RC car that I let him use that she's not paying for it
    Last edited by Racingjake; 11-12-2022 at 10:59 AM.

The lesson Fluid is trying to convey is do not start with a very high end 100+mph twin setup. These are costly and more important very dangerous. We are talking about a 25-30lb low flying torpedo which cause serious damage or worse. The energy in a pair of 12S packs is enough to cause severe burns and harm. Additionally a 12S configuration would exclude you from any IMPBA or NAMBA insurance assuming you were running on an approved lake.

If you really want to use this hull try building it with an 8S twin setup and learn the ropes before moving up to 10S and 12S. Otherwise most of us would recommend a 4S or 6S single motor configuration to get accustomed to boats.

As Fluid also recommended try to find a local FE boater in your area who can assist you learning the ropes.

We are being a bit harsh here because we don't want you to get hurt nor anyone else.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

First of all, take note what others have said - every-time I send out my 75" twin cat, I'm sh** scared something will happen and wipe out a esc - one esc is $750 and 0 warranty so If I get the setup wrong, the batteries shift inside I put too much load on her that's $1500 up in flames, my goal was a super conservative setup to get 100mph which I did, now do I dare go for 110? I have the power / hull for it would just need to prop up but do I really want to risk it? currently no... she runs in 100mph setup for 3 mins and temps come back sub 30?C

I started with 115cm cats and these were a big learning curve coming from a Hydro marine drifter S which ran on 4s and did 60mph.

I got really lucky and one of the top guys over in Germany when it comes to cat's has helped me so much along the way.

Lehner 3040 will easily get your boat over the 100mph mark.
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

[QUOTE=RaceMechaniX;764731]The lesson Fluid is trying to convey is do not start with a very high end 100+mph twin setup. These are costly and more important very dangerous. We are talking about a 25-30lb low flying torpedo which cause serious damage or worse. The energy in a pair of 12S packs is enough to cause severe burns and harm. Additionally a 12S configuration would exclude you from any IMPBA or NAMBA insurance assuming you were running on an approved lake.

If you really want to use this hull try building it with an 8S twin setup and learn the ropes before moving up to 10S and 12S. Otherwise most of us would recommend a 4S or 6S single motor configuration to get accustomed to boats.

As Fluid also recommended try to find a local FE boater in your area who can assist you learning the ropes.

We are being a bit harsh here because we don't want you to get hurt nor anyone It's OK I'm learning.

It's OK I'm learning taking all the information that I possibly can.

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out what motor what ESC and batteries.

It's also highly budget dependant....

you can go lehner 3040's or maybe a lehner outrunner, or for a lot less stick with SSS motors or TP
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid;
    Do no experienced members here see anything wrong with this thread? Does the OP have an experienced FE boater nearby to help him with his build? Prior experience with ?R/C? is not going to be much help to him. This is a very ambitious project for a new boater - boats are far different from trucks - and he is dealing with much more power and expense than a boxart truck. Based on years of experience watching new boaters fail at far less complex projects, without direct help I fear his project will not be successful.

I?m not trying to discourage him, but he would be much better served by starting with a less complex/expensive project on which to learn the basics. A simple newbie mistake will cost him many hundreds of dollars with a dual 12S cat. A mentor can help him prevent that. Regardless, I wish him luck on his project.

For a first time build to go 100+mph (and survive) might be a tad tricky - here's some of the most experienced long time FE builders/racers from around the world going for records up to and exceeding 100 mph under very ideal conditions. (old vid, but still meaningfull)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wQrlZjnd6U

Best, as Jay says start with what lets you get experience at more attainable and less hazardous speeds - Just sayin'
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

To the OP...You have to have a lot of drive and determination along with patience with RC boats. The learning curve is huge when trying to go fast.
    Listen to the smart guys on this forum as they have been down this road along with crash's, fires,blow overs, pops and bangs !!!!
    Good luck and have fun !!