Thread: Self-Righting Hull Design

Default Self-Righting Hull Design

I've been toying with the idea of designing and building my own hull for a while now. I wanted to share the current iteration of the design to get feedback and tap into the forum's experience and knowledge.

My goal is a boat that will primarily be used for fun, so competition isn't a priority. I expect the water here to be choppy more often than not and hopefully the design is well suited to that. Right now I'm planning for 750mm length because I have an unused Mega 22/30/2 that (I think) should work well for that size. (Maybe I'll super-size V2 if it turns out well.)

I;m quite tempted to 3D print the initial prototype. Obviously there are serious material issues to consider. Second choice would be to 3D print a mold for a wet lay up. I'm probably not going the route of making a buck and laying up the mold. I realize that's best for making multiple copies, but I'm not sure there will ever be more than one ... and even less sure I won't be making lots of changes.

Ask any questions you want. All constructive criticism is welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice renders, what software did you use for the design?
    My first note would be the deadrise angle seems quite big. It is the angle of the V shape at the transom, in relation to the horizontal plane.
    Popular and well performing boats such as the Sonicwake, but also racing hulls like the Deltaforce series, use a deadrise of around 22-23 degrees.

Regarding the build technique, I'm a wood builder, but if I had a 3D printer, I would first try printing the actual hull and glass it for strength.

I'm currently building a 32" / 800mm Wild Thing mono hull from wood. Without a flood chamber.. I guess I need a rescue boat

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Jan View Post
    Nice renders, what software did you use for the design?
    Thanks. I design in Solidworks and use Visualize to render.

My first note would be the deadrise angle seems quite big. It is the angle of the V shape at the transom, in relation to the horizontal plane.
    Popular and well performing boats such as the Sonicwake, but also racing hulls like the Deltaforce series, use a deadrise of around 22-23 degrees.
    It has 25deg deadrise, which is intentionally on the higher end of the spectrum to (theoretically) help the rough water capability. Is that too, high? Maybe? For some reason I thought the Pursuit was 25deg, which seems like good company. I'm not sure where I saw that number though.

Regarding the build technique, I'm a wood builder, but if I had a 3D printer, I would first try printing the actual hull and glass it for strength.
    I'm currently building a 32" / 800mm Wild Thing mono hull from wood. Without a flood chamber.. I guess I need a rescue boat
    I seriously considered building a Wild Thing. You know what ultimately turned me off? I can't find 1/8" ply anywhere around here longer than 24". Yes, I know that's not the best reason, but there you have it.

Glassing a print is definitely on the table. I'm just not sure how good of a bond to expect ... and yes, that's very dependent on the print material. I wonder is polyester resin is compatible with PETG?

I don't have much experience with mono's yet. I can only say from reference that 22-23 degrees deadrise works well. I guess a few degrees more should still work fine and you chose it for a reason.

I also wonder about the bonding of a laminate (epoxy) to a 3D printed plastic hull. I see it beiing done quite often.
    Regarding the wood sheet sizes available, that is too bad. I purchase it online, as there are not too many places here either, who can supply.

I like the desing i have considered building another boat. With your modeling capabillity, you could make a double mold (interior and exterior) and resin infuse epoxy glass a one piece hull. I have tested PVA and it works as a mold up to a certian temp. so your interior mold could desolve The bagging and glassing will be advanced and take some practice. Print in several pieces so you dont have support if needed. I am going to try this on my next boat.

Well having a couple Pursuits in the stable and a MMP Rapide, I think the transom looks good. Both of the aforementioned boats are great in the chop. I am very curious about the 3D printing stuff.

I was able to locate the deadrise measurements I read a while back. They were posted by a seemingly knowledgeable gent on RCG, so have no reason to doubt the accuracy.

TFL Rocket 650mm - 23 degrees.
    TFL Pursuit 820mm - 25*
    TFL Osprey 1060mm - 25*
    Volantex Vector 70 610mm 20*
    Volantex Angry Shark 720mm 23*
    Joysway X Blaze 600mm 26*
    Joysway Offshore Warrior 400mm 24*
    Joysway Bullet 650mm 15*
    Joysway Rocket/Barbwire XL 550mm 13*