Thread: Gettin' back into it and could use some help....

Default Gettin' back into it and could use some help....

Hi everyone,

My name is Mike Mulligan and I've been a member here since 2012, but have been out of boating for MANY years. You know how it goes, sometimes life doesn't leave much time for model boats!

Well, times change and it's time to pull a couple of old projects off the shelf and get back on the water.

The first one I have started on is an old Dumas Drag N Fly 40. I used to drool over it on the Dumas magazine ads when I was a kid, so I wanted to build one. Sometime in the late '90s I ordered the kit from Dumas and got as far as having the basic hull built and some of the hardware mounted before it was relegated to the closet.

When I first built it, I intended install a K&B 7.5, but now I want to go electric. I could sure use a bit of help when it comes to electric power. I understand the basic principles and know which way the electrons flow (I've flown electric RC airplanes for years), but things like motor selection for the boats can be a little confusing. My brain is still calibrated in nitro terms, so I have a good idea as to what size of engine goes in what size of hull, but I'm still working on my electric calibration!

From the research I have done I'm thinking that something like a Leopard 4092 on 6s with appropriate ESC would be a pretty good set-up for the Drag N Fly. I'm two hours from the closest club, so I'm not worried about running in a particular class (If I do go racing it won't be with a DnF!), but I do want this thing to really scream.

Would you guys think I'm anywhere near correct with this set-up??? What would you recommend? Any input is greatly appreciated!

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the water! Thanks in advance!

Here are a few pics of the boat. It is actually a bit further on than in these pics.

20221002_161508.jpg20221002_161455.jpg20221002_161525.jpg20221002_161555.jpg20221002_161616.jpg

Thanks again!

Mike

20221016_091112.jpg Can not help you with set up, but here is my 1980's Dumas Drag -n-fly 20 have a New os 3.5 nitro to install to run for fun and old school.
    Good luck on your set up.

That 36” hull could best be powered by 6S, the exact configuration depending on the desired performance. What are your expectations for speed and run time? I know that hull had a reputation for spotty performance as a nitro boat, Jerry Dunlap over on intlwaters.com did a lot of work to get one to run well back in the 70s, he might be a good person to contact over his experiences and modifications.

Here are some references.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...-vintage-Hydro

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/spe...age-build.html

A695D199-4F9D-4CE9-A74F-FF039E17223B.jpg

Last edited by Fluid; 10-18-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I was just checking unread posts and came across this. Welcome back Mike! I am just getting into the hydro mindset here on my boat build roster. But I think I would start like this: A 1400-1600kv motor on 6s (4082-4092) should make for good entertainment.OSE Raider ESC is a good choice (150+), prop choice really will depend on weight and kv of motor choice. It maybe best to start on the tame side as from the sound of what Jay(Fluid) says it will take a little tuning.
    It is good to see an old project brought back to the table. Please post progress
    Shawn

Hello Mugs
    Looks like a very worthwhile project. One piece of advice I would like to offer. Buy, get, aquire every component going into the boat BEFORE you mount anything. Converting the nitro hulls can be challenging as far as achieving the proper center of gravity. You are going to be putting more weight into hull compared to nitro ( with batteries ) and no ability to move stuff side to side due to the narrow tunnel compartment you may have to lay out components differently than anticipated in order to achieve the proper balance. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    That 36? hull could best be powered by 6S, the exact configuration depending on the desired performance. What are your expectations for speed and run time?
    Thanks for the reply, Jay.

Like I said, just bashing around with it (not actually expecting to race it competitively), but if I could get it going like this one (pre-flip, of course) I would be thrilled.

It will definitely be run on 6s and most likely a Leopard 4092, though I'm reading some good things about the Goolrc motors and might try one of those.

Thanks again,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I was just checking unread posts and came across this. Welcome back Mike! I am just getting into the hydro mindset here on my boat build roster. But I think I would start like this: A 1400-1600kv motor on 6s (4082-4092) should make for good entertainment.OSE Raider ESC is a good choice (150+), prop choice really will depend on weight and kv of motor choice. It maybe best to start on the tame side as from the sound of what Jay(Fluid) says it will take a little tuning.
    It is good to see an old project brought back to the table. Please post progress
    Shawn
    Thanks Shawn! That is pretty much the set-up I had in mind after doing a bit more research. I know the Drag n Fly is known to be a little tricky to get set up, but I grew up wanting one and I love the looks, so it will be a fun challenge to try and get it screaming like the one in the video above! I will definitely heed your advice about starting on the tame side though!

Here are a few pics of the progress I've made since the last time I posted. I've decided to go with stained decks and kind of a retro (50s/60s) paint job. Got the deck stained and the bottom sealed with thinned epoxy so far. I'm still planning the drive system, so I am concentrating on getting the finish worked out at the moment.

Thanks again! Here are a few pics...

20221203_152500.jpg20221203_152448.jpg20221203_152512.jpg20221203_152525.jpg20221203_152539.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    Hello Mugs
    Looks like a very worthwhile project. One piece of advice I would like to offer. Buy, get, aquire every component going into the boat BEFORE you mount anything. Converting the nitro hulls can be challenging as far as achieving the proper center of gravity. You are going to be putting more weight into hull compared to nitro ( with batteries ) and no ability to move stuff side to side due to the narrow tunnel compartment you may have to lay out components differently than anticipated in order to achieve the proper balance. Ask me how I know.
    Thanks Pancho, that is excellent advise, I learned the same lesson the same way!

Fortunately, this boat only got as far as the basic hull before it was relegated to the shelf, so it really is just a bare tub. It should be pretty easy to get things in the right places.

The strut and rudder are installed (both Speedmaster), but I'm still in the process of getting the motor and ESC ordered so I'll be waiting until I have it all before getting anything more done on the drive.

Thanks again for the reply!

Mike

Oh, and if I can't decide on a motor and ESC, we'll just go with rocket power!

20221203_154909.jpg20221203_154931.jpg