Thread: 40" Prather deep vee electric conversion - motor?

Default 40" Prather deep vee electric conversion - motor?

Hi all,

New member here and helping to convert my Dad's older Prather deep vee with the KB 7.5 to electric. I plan on using the adapter plate sold on OSE to mate electric motor to existing outboard but am having trouble finding/choosing a motor/esc. I did lots of research but ended up simply copying the setup from Proboat Blackjack 42 which is a Spektrum 4685 4 pole 1350Kv with a Firma 160a ESC but it appears that the mounting holes are 15mm and the adapter accepts 25mm only. Can someone please recommend another motor that would power this 40" deep vee on 6s-8s or are there adapter plates for 15 - 25mm? Not dead set on using this motor/esc combo, just figured that if it worked great in the Blackjack, it should at least be halfway decent in the Prather.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

A TP 4070 should work fine and fits the adepter plate (SSS 4092 V2 works as well)and with 1200kv you can use 8s with a bigger prop (48mm to 54m)

I’m not sure a 54mm prop will fit on the 7.5 leg without modification. Too, an 6S setup may not provide the performance the OP wants….what speed is he looking for? The 13 cc or 16 cc outboard leg would be more appropriate, or a more conventional inboard on 8S or 10S, depending on the performance desires of the OP. Of course, he hasn’t bothered to come back to check on responses…
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I'm here and certainly appreciate the responses. Not sure if you've got a family, but they can certainly throw a wrench in your works.

Not looking for wild performance, it's really just a nostalgic project for me and my father, much like the original nitro build so really want to retain the outboard though. I've looked at the complete brushless outboard setups but they don't seem like they'd be powerful enough.

there is an other option MHZ sells a outboard with the motor inside the boat ,the outboard looks like a seven outboard ,the big advantage is you can use a bigger motor inside(Website MHZ.de)

OSE sell these outboards as well

Most of the 40 mm diameter motors have holes for a 25 mm mount. The selection is HUGE. Like stated in post #2. A 40x92 will bolt right up to your mount and give you enough for enjoyable sport running, and keep the outboard motor look you want.

Thanks for the responses, I'll definitely look into all of these. That's great to know that most of the the 40mm motors have 25mm holes. Is that in addition to others, in the sense of multiple mounting hole options? Thanks in advance!

If you will read the ads on the section of motors for sale in the OSE store,
    you will see that every one list the spacing of the mounting screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    If you will read the ads on the section of motors for sale in the OSE store,
    you will see that every one list the spacing of the mounting screws.
    Thanks Pancho, I see that the OSE listings are much more complete than many of the other sites. I know where to get all my parts from!

The Prather 40" is an heavy hll, prefer a 8S setup or a Twin 2 x 6S.