Thread: Anyone has a problem with skyrc gnss gsm020?

Default Anyone has a problem with skyrc gnss gsm020?

No idea the device has no power after 1 usage. I plug the charge cable and no charge no power. Only the gps green led is on. $70 for 1 run is BS. Anyone has this problem or know how to fix? I tried to open the back to replace the battery but no screw to unscrew it.

Mine constantly discharges itself.
    Team Liquid Dash

The bluetooth sensor is always active looking to pair with your phone so it does slowly drain the battery even if you turn it off.
    I just charge mine before I go run and it lasts all day.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

How to do it?

Are you able to connect to it when it's plugged in to the power source?
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

No i cant

Sorry to go off topic on these, but while they are mentioned, do they need to be mounted in a certain direction? i.e. LED's pointing upwards or can i have the LED pointing down?

Just picked one up new for cheap and will run alongside my Lezyne GPS
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

Tyler

Ah ha. Thanks for that advice.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

How to position:
    LEDs up for best reception, will probably work at an angle, pending visibility to the satellites.

Yes, it will slowly drain over time, mine lasts about 30 days, but I do charge before I use it.

Connection, make sure that you DO NOT connect to your bluetooth connection on your phone. Delete that connection or it will never work. It will only connect through the APP.

If it doesn't hold a charge, connect USB and see if white LED lights up. Now you can try connecting to the APP. If it doesn't, it's simply a bad unit.
    With USB cable plugged in, white LED should be 'on'. Once connected to APP, the blue will light up, green with receiving satellites (give it a minute)

99% of all connection failures are the incorrect setup with bluetooth, follow the instructions. The other 1% are bad units.

I may be of some help here, I have two of these (Sky RC GPS with no screen, you connect via phone app) and they work great, but you have to know how to use them. Here's a few things I learned after doing probably 150 runs with my speedrun cars using these units. The correct app to use with this is the RC gears app, not the original GNSS PA app. Also make sure the app firmware is the latest, that resolves some connection issues. To shut off the unit, first hit the turn off button on the upper right, then manually close the app otherwise it stays on. If more than one GPS is being used at the same time, start them one at a time otherwise you may connect to someone else's unit. These have a tiny battery that doesn't last long so try to fully charge it once a week. This is important, when fully charged these connect much faster to satellites, as opposed to having a low charge. Also, you should also be able to open the app and connect to the unit when it is charging, if not check for latest firmware in the settings of the app. The latest firmware on the app will resolve many connection issues. I see many videos where people aren't sure of what buttons to hit after a speedrun to see their speed. Its simple, once a connection is made before you start the run, remember to hit 'Track" before you hit "start" otherwise it wont measure the speed

Mine doesn't like my Carbon / kevlar hatch, other GPS systems are fine just Sky rc... (and by cf / kevlar I mean the centre is kevlar for GPS use)
    Uk SAW record holder

Can anyone chime in on its use and the new app? I have heard problems .
    Is there a viable alternative that is just as small? (Its for a small rigger)
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Quote Originally Posted by larryrose11 View Post

I've heard the Sky RC GNSS updates every 1 second, while other GPS units update every 5 seconds (like Garmin units do) so they don't give as accurate a speed reading. Not 100% sure about this though..

I use this and love it. Not bluetooth though.
    https://www.amazon.com/MEILAN-Comput...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I recently acquired one ( in May-June). I down loaded the gear rc app and it bound ok . I got one run on it and it seem to time ok as I ran my other gps along side to check. That was the only run I got out of it. I rebooted the app 6 times and could not get it off the green light or connect to the phone. Last week I sent to Steve and they are going to replace. Hope this is not a continuing issue. I did try to get it to update the firmware but no joy ....if it got water damage, they may not want to replace or refund. Contact the company you bought it from...

Mine had worked fine for a year. But it just got flooded in a hull, and won't find a gps signal any more.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

I have lost one due to water contact. GPS will not connect anymore (still powers on w/ bluetooth). Interesting to me, I found my 2nd one would not connect via the RC Gears app. I'm sure I had something messed up but the only way I could get it to connect was to use the "power GNSS" app from powerhobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    I use this and love it. Not bluetooth though.
    https://www.amazon.com/MEILAN-Comput...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
    I have that Meilan GPS bike computer and it works okay but not great. The "refresh" rate on it is very slow. On my smaller, slower boats (Stealthwake, Blackjack 24, Valvryn and others of that size and speed) and R/C cars that are +/-30mph it works fine because I can maintain full throttle for 5 seconds or longer. On my big 6S boats like the Impulse 32, Invincible Razor and Sonicwake, I never get an accurate reading because I don't have the space to hold full throttle for more than a few seconds. And when I put an old smartphone with a GPS app in the boats, I'll get 50+mph on that but maybe 35 or 40mph on the Meilan.
    Info and pictures about our Invincible Razor build, Lindberg PT Boats; Racing Runabout; Pro Boat Stealthwake and more! Plus videos of our boats including upgrades, repairs, etc.

I recently heard of a device called the Speed-Flea. It's a tiny GPS device that came out around 2021 I think. Look online for videos. I saw some in R/C planes but the guy developed them for use in model rockets and all things R/C. The only issue right now is that the "SPEED-FLEA is currently only available in the UK & EU and some selected countries." according to their site. But check it out and see if you can get any info. I emailed recently (a few days before posting this) but haven't heard back.
    Here's the site: https://speed-flea.com/
    Info and pictures about our Invincible Razor build, Lindberg PT Boats; Racing Runabout; Pro Boat Stealthwake and more! Plus videos of our boats including upgrades, repairs, etc.

I have a speed flea too, great for the size of it

Haven’t really used it too much I have a sky rc which really struggles to pickup satellites, even in a full Kevlar hull.

I normally use a Lezyne bike gps but feel I’m missing out on some speed, when I recently tried it in the car, I. Short bursts the refresh rate isnt high enough to record peak speed, this is why I bought the sky rc for the high refresh rate.
    Uk SAW record holder

My GSM020 has a reconnect problem. After I did a high-speed race, the smartphone cannot connect to GSM020. It is possible to turn the devices on and off, but there is no way to see the speed. The device freezes and it can only be restarted through a hard reset. Has anyone experienced this?