Thread: Did I burn my esc?

Default Did I burn my esc?

Got a flycolor 150a and I use it with sss 4082 2400kv today with 6s lipo and 45.7mm prop.At full throttle, the boat suddenly has no movement then I pull it over and see it has no power to the motor anymore. Is the esc got burnt up?
    Last edited by The noob guy; 08-29-2022 at 12:06 AM.

Not at all surprising with that setup, you were pulling way too many amps for the ESC.

That prop is way too much for 2400kv on 6s, that is SAWs RPM, and that is not a SAWs ESC.

That motor prop and ESC would be much happier (though still s spicy setup) on 4s.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Change the prop to 42mm and change esc to seaking 180 and everything is so hot after a few runs. ( battery, motor, esc).My zonda with similar set up but sss 4082 2000kv or so does not have that problem.

6S 2000kv is asking for trouble. 2400kv makes you need a fire extinguisher. Yes, you can reduce the load with smaller props but your probably loosing efficiency. Excessive heat is sending a message you should not ignore.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Mr. Noob, It is with extreme pleasure we welcome you as a new qualifying member to the ZSP/WTS Club.*

To maintain your membership in good standing you must refrain from rigging your boat to operate within the green area of this chart which will result in immediate termination from ZSP/WTS but allow long, trouble free FE fun.

* [ ZOOM/SPLASH/PLOP/WHAT'S THAT SMELL]

kv voltage.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I have no idea why paul cooper channel runs very high rpm with 6s or any s and he does not have any issue.

Have no idea who Paul Cooper is but even being new it shouldn't have been hard for you to figure out that a 2400 KV is way too much for 6- s. Actually it's barley doable for 4- s. Not trying to lecture you, but boat electronics are
    expesive. Research is free. Do your wallet a favor and read up a little before you buy.

Have no idea who Paul Cooper is but even being new it shouldn't have been hard for you to figure out that a 2400 KV is way too much for 6- s. Actually it's barley doable for 4- s. Not trying to lecture you, but boat electronics are
    expesive. Research is free. Do your wallet a favor and read up a little before you buy.

Like everyone else is saying, you're running too high a kv for 6S. Can you get away with it for a speed run (SAW) or two? Sure! But for extended sport boating or racing, it's generally considered to be too high of a kv.

Speed is about total pitch of the prop, and rpm of the driveline. The higher the rpm, the higher the frictional losses (turning into heat mainly) within the driveline and the motor. Lowering the rpm, and raising the total pitch of the prop, helps to eliminate those frictional losses. Additionally, the easiest way to increase total pitch of the prop, is to increase its diameter. Larger props are more efficient than smaller props, generally speaking.

So with voltage being equal, a high rpm, small prop setup produces X speed, while losing energy to driveline heat, and efficiency to a slipping prop.
    A low rpm, big prop setup can produce the same X speed, while losing less energy to driveline heat, and being more efficient with a bigger prop. Overall, this will result in less amp draw from the batteries through the ESC, which also reduces heat, as electrical heat is proportionally the square of current. That means for a given resistance, if your current increases by 10A, the heat buildup in the electrical system increases by 100W. For a current increase of 20A, the heat buildup in the electrical system increases by 400W.

What you're also starting to find, is the limit of these "popular" ESC's like the SK180. 180A doesn't get it done when you start pushing things hard. Many of my boats pull over 200A continuously, and as such, are equipped with dual batteries in parallel (not series), big wire, big connectors, big ESC's, and big cooling. There's nothing wrong with a SK180, it's doing it's job, until you start asking more of it than it's designed for. That SSS 4082 motor you've got, is capable of demanding 225+ amps from your 6S system. Load it hard enough (like you are), and it will demand it. It's up to the batteries and ESC to supply it. If they can't, they get hot in a hurry.

I notice that in his later videos of the same boat, even he drops down to a 2200kv and a 2075kv motor for 6S use. The very small size of the boat likely prohibits the use of what we would consider a decent size prop for it, hence the higher than normal kv.

Very high kv motors make for great YouTube videos and short fun runs, but probably won't last long-term or in extended running.

I checked out the vid. It's a really cool boat. However the crazy RPM never lasts for more than maybe 2 seconds (listen carefully) which may not cause destructive behavior for such limited duration. Thankfully the built-in safety inherent in this case is that once the throttle goes WFO the boat fulfills it's ZSP (Zoom/Splash/Plop) heritage and the throttle is released while the boat pirouettes through the air, preventing the inevitable WTS (What's/That/Smell). If your idea of fun ( nothing wrong with that ) is a one or maybe two second WFO run followed by a retrieve boat deployment (assuming no self-righting like the vid boat) or hours spent decontaminating the hull from the burnt smell rock on at 53,280 RPM until the fun changes appearance....
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

From the comments on the vid :

Way over powered. (Zeeeek1) {}

Paul Cooper
    1 year ago
    I agree. I couldn't give it full power all the time

Tango Tango
    1 year ago
    No fun if you can run full power all the time.

Something is wrong with my set up. Swap to sss 3682 2500kv seaking 180 and 3s lipo but everything is still hot as hell.

Cool

A few closecup pics of the OP?s boat - interior, transom and a few low level side views of the aft half would help us to diagnose your heat issues.

How hot is ?hot as hell??
    How long do you run before it gets hot?
    Exactly what boat?
    Exactly what battery?
    Exactly what prop?
    Do you run lots of steady throttle, or on and off a lot?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by The noob guy View Post
    I have no idea why paul cooper channel runs very high rpm with 6s or any s and he does not have any issue.
    And you use my name why? You need to be more specific about who your talking about . The Paul Cooper you're talking about is from Australia . And you're talking about his You Tube channel. Confused the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    i checked out the vid. It's a really cool boat. However the crazy rpm never lasts for more than maybe 2 seconds (listen carefully) which may not cause destructive behavior for such limited duration. Thankfully the built-in safety inherent in this case is that once the throttle goes wfo the boat fulfills it's zsp (zoom/splash/plop) heritage and the throttle is released while the boat pirouettes through the air, preventing the inevitable wts (what's/that/smell). If your idea of fun ( nothing wrong with that ) is a one or maybe two second wfo run followed by a retrieve boat deployment (assuming no self-righting like the vid boat) or hours spent decontaminating the hull from the burnt smell rock on at 53,280 rpm until the fun changes appearance....:peace_sign:

lolololol