Thread: What motor and esc for 42 in outrigger

Default What motor and esc for 42 in outrigger

would like a little input on this the boat is a herzog tec-9 rigger that was gas the over all length is 42in it can fit 2 6s packs side by side but not sure if a long can 40mm motor will get it done or should go up to a 56mm can also would a hydra ice 2 hv be ok in something like that on 10 or 12 s lower kv around 800 or so ?

Pics of the boat

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

nobody has nothing on this ?

if you go from gas to electric a 56 can is the way to go , but you need a big esc (300amps) for motors TP and SSS v2 are good motors and not breaking the bank look for rpm 35000 and max 40000

I haven't done a 42" rigger, but I mainly run riggers these days and have done a 42" stepped mono, so while I have a clue, i don't have any direct comparison and I'm sure that if you give it time you will get some more pertinent advice.

While I'm sure it can be done depending on what you want out of it, personally I wouldn't consider using a use a 40mm motor for a boat that size, especially for a gas boat conversion which will be much heavier than a FE build could be. I ran 12s to keep the amps down. I'm not in the USA so I could be wrong, but if you are in USA I believe that 3rd party insurance will only cover you up to 10s, and there is no racing over 10s, so if you think running in a public lake or racing may be things you might consider doing in the future, 10s and more amps may be a more sensible way to go despite being technically not quite as good.

I also think that 800KV is a bit too much for 12s (i used 650kv), I would probably go for around 750-800kv for 10s or under 600 on 12s to allow you to run big gas size props to push a gas+ weight boat.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.