Thread: 36 inch vintage Atlas Valine hydroplane

Question 36 inch vintage Atlas Valine hydroplane

I have a vintage 36 inch Atlas Valine hydroplane ( modeled after 78 hydroplane) built out of plywood that run an airplane motor Enya 0.90 . It weighs in at 5lbs. without any hardware or motor , I want to convert it to electric . My question is what size motor and esc and batteries should I use? The cavity to house all of this is 4? X 24?. This is NOT a&nbsp;<font color="#111111" face="Roboto, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 16px;">cocmpition boat</span></font>&nbsp;.A picture shows the room there is in the boat
    Attached Images Attached Images

3660 motor 1500-1800 kv, OSE Raider 150 esc. Batts 4s 5000 mah. Prop, X442. That should get you a nice runner.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Thank you for all the info much appreciated .For the Batts is that 4s 5000mah X2 or just one

Not trying to be rude here, but that sounds like a very small motor for a boat of that size and weight. That sounds more suitable for a 28-30" hull
    weighing about 3 lbs. A 40 x 82 1500 - 1800 KV will have a lot more guts
    and move that hull with less struggle.

A ventage Atlas Van line Hydro 36 inch plywood hull I have decided to go with 40 X 82 1500-1800Kv recommended by Panchotthedog. I have already 5000MAH ( 2) 4S 14.8V that I can use if suitable . What is the seize esc that is recommended for this setup along with a prop

I would think the ESC recommend by Peter in post #2 will be O K. From the picture of your hull you are obviously running sub-surface drive, so over
    proping could kill the ESC. X-442 might just turn out to be perfect. I would start out with the x-440 first to be safe. Buy two or three of the Graupner
    Plastic props from OSE. They mimic the X series Octura props very closely.
    Also get a temperature gun and take readings after one minute runs. This will help you determine how big of a prop you can run. Once you get the right one on there go ahead and buy the metal prop. It should be sharpened and balanced. Watch a few videos and you can get it close enough your self.
    If not their are members on here that will do it for a fee.

I would think the ESC recommend by Peter in post #2 will be O K. From the picture of your hull you are obviously running sub-surface drive, so over
    proping could kill the ESC. X-442 might just turn out to be perfect. I would start out with the x-440 first to be safe. Buy two or three of the Graupner
    Plastic props from OSE. They mimic the X series Octura props very closely.
    Also get a temperature gun and take readings after one minute runs. This will help you determine how big of a prop you can run. Once you get the right one on there go ahead and buy the metal prop. It should be sharpened and balanced. Watch a few videos and you can get it close enough your self.
    If not their are members on here that will do it for a fee.

Can we see a picture of the back and bottom, where the drive tube is??

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Cannot get OSE 150 Raider esc to connect to Leopard LBP4082-B .Using two 5000 MAH 4s 65c 14.8v 74 Wh battery pack.
    Receiver is paired to radio rudder works fine. Cannot pair ESC with radio. Follow instructions to pair radio to ESC and will not pair

1 Turn on transmitter, move throttle trigger to the full forward position

2 Connect ESC with battery, wait for 2 seconds, motor emits short “BEEP-BEEP-”twice, move trigger to neutral position in 5 seconds, the full throttle is memorized

3 Waits for 1second, motor emits short "BEEP-" few times, sound times is Lipo battery cells. Then waits for 1 second, motor emits 1 long “BEEP—”and 1 shor t“BEEP-” , the“ zero throttle “position
    At this time,it's ready to work now

Start again, you went into program mode.
    1. Get rid of receiver pack, the esc has a bec that works just fine.
    2. Turn on transmitter first - always!
    3. Turn on reciever.
    4. Holding throttle at full, plug in battery.
    5. Wait for two beeps, let throttle go to neutral, throttle is now calibrated.
    6. Get program card and reset esc settings.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

as an aside I know this isnt your problem at the moment. 4s with a 3500w motor like that is going to be pull an easy 150-170A depending on the prop. Those xt60 or xt90 connectors will be wildly undersized and the wires will likely desolder after about 60 seconds. That motor will tax a 6s system.

after you follow Peter A's instructions you dont need to go into programming mode. just plug it in. the stock settings on that ESC will be fine unless its a delta wind motor in which you'll change the last sub-menu to 0/option 1.
    Last edited by Bande1; 07-26-2023 at 04:05 PM.