Thread: Dumas 1930 chris craft runabout

Default Dumas 1930 chris craft runabout

Hello to all, I have been dormant on my rc boat building for about 20 yrs. I am currently working on the Dumas kit #1230. My question is what type and size motor would I use for this size and weight boat? Its 36" long. So much has changed with lipo now I am kind of overwhelmed. I would like this to be faster than scale speed but not ridiculously fast. Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Dave

Hi David.
    I have the dumas # 1240.
    It would depend on the power you intend to put in it. How much faster than stock do you want to go? Would you stay with a brushed motor, or go brushless? Would you keep the recommended 6v, or go to 12v, or go to lipo?
    I like to keep my scale boats on 12v SLA batteries. If I had your # 1230, I would go with 12v SLA on a brushless leopard 3650 @ 1350Kv 5.5y. This would have an RPM of about 16,200 RPM on 12V. The stock Dumas 6v motor spins at 10,000 RPM on 6V.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks for the info... I will check into that. I prefer 12v so it sounds good to me. Thanks again, Dave