Thread: Why I keep losing prop?

Default Why I keep losing prop?

I have no idea why I keep losing prop. I already tight the screw but it keep popping out when under water. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

Red loctite?

Every bolt on the boat should be either blue or red loctite....not too much otherwise you will be extracting stripped hex head screws. Never use even slightly rounded hex wrenchs, it will ruin the bolts. That's some time consuming experience right there.

Dog drive, or threaded props?

On dog drive I have learned to use a fresh nylock nut every time I change props, as a used locknut doesn't lock as well as a fresh one. (Same goes for zuber lockouts if you prefer to use them though I don't).

For threaded props you have to use a jam nut in front of the prop.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I run my stub shafts long. After I thread on a nylock not I always thread
    on a piece of fuel line that matches the length of threaded stub shaft still exposed. In 35 years I have never lost a prop. I HAVE lost several where the whole flex shaft came out of the motor collet and lost prop, shaft, and drive dog, but that is a completely different problem.

Look like I need a nylon lock nut. I used a bullet nuts and lost 3 props within 3 days. Then I use 1 regular lock nut and it still spins out when under water at full throttle.

Bullet nuts are almost guaranteed to lose your props….unless you use a jam nut in front of them or locktite. I gave up on them 30 years ago.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Ha Ha....I learned the same thing Jay !! Those nuts are useless unless high heat loctite is used. Plus they never would run true which is what would speed up the nut coming loose.

I?ve been using those bullet nuts with a thin jam nut between the bullet and the prop for a couple years now. Always with a drop of blue locktite. Knock on wood, I?ve never lost a prop.