Thread: Proboat Shockwave 26....BARN FIND.. HELP

Default Proboat Shockwave 26....BARN FIND.. HELP

Hello everyone. Im a newbie here so please forgive me. Let me explain a little bit. I ran across a Proboat Shockwave 26 that was NEVER used. It sat in a garage for roughly 4-5 years and was never opened. I got it home and realized the batteries and charger in the box were toast so i purchased replacements.

Fast forward to now the boat runs but i stuck it in the bath tub to do a float test and it takes on water BELOW where I can get to. basically you dont know its taking on water until its taken on enough to rise to where the ESC and transmitter are... My guess is that water is coming in through the "stuffing tube" (ive done a little research LOL) However im at a loss for how to fix it. I've heard things like stuff it full of marine grease but im curious to know your thoughts. Im happy to post photos or videos if that is helpful!

Image20220722150644.jpgImage20220722150651.jpg

If it is coming up the inside of the stuffing tube you should be able to see it at the end of the tube right below the coupler. If it is coming in between the tube and the hull you need to add some caulking or epoxy around the tube on both inside and outside of the tube penetration at the transom.

Thank you for responding! I added some water proof silicone to the outside of the tube as water is not coming through the stuffing tube by the coupler. I can't add it to the inside because it's below the floor and not accessible..

Heads up, looks like you need about 3/16 (dia. of the flex shaft) to the what looks like the stuffing tube and drive dog. Make sure pull out flex shaft clean and grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc View Post
    Heads up, looks like you need about 3/16 (dia. of the flex shaft) to the what looks like the stuffing tube and drive dog. Make sure pull out flex shaft clean and grease.
    Pull the flex shaft about 3/16 from the stuffing tube and retighten??

Also I took it out today for the first time. I seems like if I just let it float it will take on water after a few minutes but if I use it it?s not that bad. Although the battery seems to die within 10-15 minutes. Is it normal for it to die that quickly also is it normal
    For it to just die? You?d think it would die slowly so I could notice it and get it back to me

10 to 15 minutes is an eternity for a battery to last. I really doubt you got that much run time from it. What type of battery are you using, ni cad
    ni mih, or lipo? Regardless of the type it is serious abuse to run it down until the boat won't move. It shouldn't go from full performance to dead without any drop off. What is the MA rating ( capacity ).

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    10 to 15 minutes is an eternity for a battery to last. I really doubt you got that much run time from it. What type of battery are you using, ni cad
    ni mih, or lipo? Regardless of the type it is serious abuse to run it down until the boat won't move. It shouldn't go from full performance to dead without any drop off. What is the MA rating ( capacity ).
    8.4v 300mah Nim. I just took it out. And to make sure I didn't get it stranded on the lake I ran it for 10 solid minutes no issues. Barely Amy water in it also. What annoys me still is that if it just sits and floats it will
    Take on water slowly. I just wish I knew where the leak was. I guess I better just use it. 😄 wasn't meant to just sit there and float! I'd be interested in upgrade advice. As this has a brushed motor. Is it even worth upgrading?

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX7624 View Post
    8.4v 300mah Nim. I just took it out. And to make sure I didn't get it stranded on the lake I ran it for 10 solid minutes no issues. Barely Amy water in it also. What annoys me still is that if it just sits and floats it will
    Take on water slowly. I just wish I knew where the leak was. I guess I better just use it. 😄 wasn't meant to just sit there and float! I'd be interested in upgrade advice. As this has a brushed motor. Is it even worth upgrading?

Any advice on upgrades for this boat? It has a 20-Turn 550, 2200Kv, Brushed Marine Motor, 50A/8.4v Brushed Marine ESC and plastic prop. Specifics appreciated!

Is the hull plastic or fiberglass?

Is the hull plastic or fiberglass?
    Plastic

Lipo batteries are far superior than what you purchased and capable of much more power. Your brushed motor probably wouldn't put out any more power, probably just self destruct. To get more performance you will need to convert to brushless power. The fact that the boat is plastic and several years old( many old plastic hulls get brittle and when pushed to higher speeds don't hold up well) you need to think this over bit before investing money and time in it. You would need motor, speed control, Lipo batteries and for sure eliminate the water leak you have. That is going to require you to cut into the floor of the boat to gain access to where the stuffing tube passes through the transom.

Lipo batteries are far superior than what you purchased and capable of much more power. Your brushed motor probably wouldn't put out any more power, probably just self destruct. To get more performance you will need to convert to brushless power. The fact that the boat is plastic and several years old( many old plastic hulls get brittle and when pushed to higher speeds don't hold up well) you need to think this over bit before investing money and time in it. You would need motor, speed control, Lipo batteries and for sure eliminate the water leak you have. That is going to require you to cut into the floor of the boat to gain access to where the stuffing tube passes through the transom.
    Thank you!

Ill probably cut open the floor soon. What do you recommend in terms of adhering the floor back in the boat? OR do they sell something? Also what would you recommend as a good prop replacement for my stock plastic one?

Any two part epoxy designed for plastic, and most of them are. Even the
    5 minuite stuff you find at the hardware store will work. Use the same for sealing the stuffing tube at transom entrance. I don't have any idea what size your stock prop is. From your photo in post # 1 it appears to mimic an
    Octura ( brand name ) X- series, which is one of the most popular and universal props going. It is probably well matched to the story motor. Do you own a set of calipers? You need to measure the diameter of the prop
    EXACTLY and preferably in milimeters as most all props are sold this way.
    What ever you don't increase the diameter, this will increase load on the motor and lead to rapid failure.