Thread: ML Boat Works sport hydros - questions

Default ML Boat Works sport hydros - questions

Hello -
    I have been looking at the MLBW GSX Series (3 different lengths) and the GP model as FE hydros. I'm really new to this and confused about what classes (NAMBA of IMPBA) these four different boats are designed to race in. Is there one particular class of sport hydro that is more popular than others - or club dependent? Thanks for helping me learn ��.
    Also, are the majority of sport hydros built from wood kits or are fiberglass hulls also popular? The ML Boat Works kits look outstanding to me.

The three or four different sport hydros are loosely aligned with N2 (2 cell), P-Ltd (4 cell w/3660 motor), P (4 cell w/any motor) and Q, S, T which is 6-10 cells any motor.

By far the most popular class is P-ltd sport hydro. I recommend getting in touch with your local club and asking them what they run.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Thank you Tyler. So the 1st two GSX hydros are 31.5" and 33.8" The GP is 31.5". Would all three, with the correct motor thus be suitable for either P-limited or P? Is choosing one or the other to race in either class just a matter of personal preference vrs performance differences?

I would opt for the larger 33.8" since modern P-Ltd power is very close to full P power. This protects you to run either class and any reasonable motor.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Got it. Thank you very much for the clarification - I appreciate it!