Thread: Throttle calibration...ZTW 200

Default Throttle calibration...ZTW 200

I'm just about "there" on setting up my first serious FE.

One question left. I use a self centering stick throttle as I've tried the pistol grips and do not prefer them. To calibrate the ZTW you are supposed to turn on the TX and hold the throttle on full; plug in the ESC and wait for two confirmation beeps; pull the throttle to the minimum position; confirm beeps and your done. My question is this: if you do not want the boat to be able to run in reverse throttle, do you bring the throttle to the neutral position when you're doing the set up or do you bring it back to the full reverse position? I hope this question makes sense. I'm wondering how the ESC knows where neutral (ie off) is. I've set the input limit to zero for reverse on the Tx. Thank you in advance.

PS Here is the throttle limit screen on the Tx:

Attached Images Attached Images

Peter posted this response while I was moving this thread from the FE forum;

"Just allow it to zero on the self centering stick. You cannot turn off the reverse function. You have got it all correct.For me, I also use sticks, and I just push the throttle stick with my thumb rather than have my thumb on top of it. That way I never go in reverse anyway. Some of our clubbies who use sticks also run gas boats so they use a non centering stick. I think they set the neutral position with stick fully back.My gas thunderboat was originally used with a pistol radio, so it was no issue setting that up on the sticks.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion."

Thank you Peter - I think you are saying that when you calibrate the throttle you give it full throttle for the max and allow the self centered position to be the minimum as compared to pulling the stick all the way back to what we would normally call the minimum towards the bottom of the transmitter. Right? And a big thank you

Yes, just allow the stick to center. If you are using a non centering stick (like on a gasser or nitro) you can make zero all the way to the bottom. It pays to zero all your trims first also.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Got it! Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!

I had two threads going about ZTW esc's. As time passed their content seemed to crossover (sorry about that) - so I'm going to paste in the same conclusion I made on the other thread - in hopes it will help others with similar questions (the other thread is: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...sc-calibration):

"I thank everybody for the input on this thread. You've been a great help. The solution can be summarized as follows:
    1) you must remove the throttle from the full on position IMMEDIATELY after hearing the first two beeps, otherwise it continues into programming mode. So you have your radio set at full throttle, plug the battery in, hear the two beeps, and let it go immediately to neutral position on a spring-loaded stick throttle. You're hear two more beeps and it's set to go.
    2) The proper way to set up the radio, in my case a Taranus 2019 Access, is to set the differential as shown on the picture below. On this particular radio there's more than one option for having a spring-loaded stick shut off in the neutral position and not function in the reverse decision. My choice was to adjust the differential. I hope this might be of help to future users of this ESC and who will use a stick transmitter."
    0381BAC6-10FC-422E-A5FF-4A3B0D6BEB15.jpg