Thread: ESC throttle limit prior to LVC

jdmeyer1@gmail.com Guest

Default ESC throttle limit prior to LVC

I'm pretty new to boats and I remember a few years ago while running a couple with a friend that when the voltage reached a specified (unknown to me) voltage, it would cut throttle to 50% so you could return to shore before LVC hit and it wouldn't run anymore. I checked a few marine ESC's and I don't see anything listed in features that says they offer this feature, whatever it might be called. Can anyone point me in the right direction with what ESC's offer this or set me straight on this? haha

I currently have a couple vintage boats and a newer fiberglass catamaran and would love to toss some proper electronics in them and start enjoying this part of RC. Here's what I have and what I'd like to do to them. While I don't expect this post to bring in those could provide guidance to the builds as this is the ESC specific forum, I figured I'd toss this in here in case any of this helps with the information that you might provide.

Kyosho Viper:
    -Condition: Received without box or any electronics except for the motor. The internal electronics box and all accessories were included though. Someone added fiberglass to the transom and hull and added a newer rudder and manual trim tabs.
    -Build intentions: Maintain a close to period correct (based on when the RC boat was built) performance. Brushed, but with modern electronics and features. I will likely design and 3D print a battery tray and use this for balancing the boat. 2S Lipo only.

Kyosho WaveMaster:
    -Condition: OEM electronics, including the Dolphin 2 outboard. One sponson has a tip missing.
    -Build intentions: Again, I'd like to maintain a close to period correct performance, but this time a little more based on the type of boat it is. Also use modern electronics and likely stick with brushed. From what I've learned here, RPM is your friend and I just so happen to already have a Reedy Radon brushed motor that should perform at around it's 30k RPM rating on a 2s Lipo. If it needs a 3 cell, I can run that, but I might limit throttle response and stop at 80-90%. I don't want to break it. Just want this to be fun.

Venom King of Shaves:
    -Condition: Steering servo, props and flex shafts.
    -Build intentions: Plain and simple: Fast. haha

Every marine ESC that I know of provides that feature. Although, since I don't use an LVC, as I race my boats a specified number of laps and come in, and I have more battery capacity than needed to complete my laps, I simply disable LVC cutoff. So I'm not really checking for that feature most of the time (other than disabling it).

I often see high powered boats with sub-par batteries artificially trip the LVC and cause issues as well (boats pull A LOT of amps).

Thank you for the reply!! I had no idea this was a standard feature on Marine ESC's.

Note: I accidentally made another account and forgot that I had one already so I'm replying from my original account.