Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going brushless!!!

Default going brushless!!!

well guys my tax money just came in so i went ahead and ordered a bunch of parts. here goes: fiegao 9l, x-power 100a, blackjack strut/rudder set, ose motor mount, ep 4500 6cell, and an octura m440 prop. how does this sound to you guys? i really don't know what to exspect this is my first build where i didn't just copy someone else's idea and did it on my own. do ya'll think i did good?

oh also what size flax shaft should i use? i have an .098 laying around but it seems small for this power what would be better?

no love?

are you going flex shaft to the stearable outdrive? you might think about 8 cells?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    are you going flex shaft to the stearable outdrive? you might think about 8 cells?

no i am going to be running blackjack hardware.

The Apache and Blackjack steerable drive assembly is the same if I recall...

The shafts are different as is the prop.
    Boats:
    Proboat Apache 24
    Proboat Blackjack 26 Brushless

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheDude View Post
    The Apache and Blackjack steerable drive assembly is the same if I recall...

The shafts are different as is the prop.
    the blackjck nitro uses a seperate strut and rudder.
    PRB2824-100.jpg

well the first of my parts came in yesterday. i got the stut and rudder in. i haven't gotten to the strut yet but the rudder is mounted and looks great. here are pics.

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1234535749
    http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1234535857
    http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1234535948

Default Strut/Rudder

Looks good!

I have a brushless proboat mini-c. Though they are not the same boat, they are similar and share similar characteristics. I designed a simple strut/rudder bracket and scratched it out on my dad's bridgeport mill (What a nice tool to have). I figured this would be an improvement over the stock steerable outdrive and hopefully I'll gain some stability above 20MPH. I want to experiment with some very small turn fins as well, but I'm gunna try it with just the strut/rudder on the first run. I'll send a pic.

Here are some Pics. The blue anodized hardware is from Mini Cat Racing. The raw aluminum bracket is the piece I milled.

well i got the rest of my parts in on saterday (thanks steven) but i had to get underway*(in the navy) on sunday so i didn't get a chance to put everything in and get to the pond. so when i get back next month i will have a project to build. i also got with my money a fireball motor for my mini-t, a c-4 9200 and mini tazer for my micro rs4, a turnigy 4600 and mamba max 100a esc for my 4wd truggy and some other misc parts to get all of my rc's up and running again. i can't wait to get home. its gonna be like a week of building and playing.

some updates. so i finally got back home on saturday and today got to do some work on the boat. so i destickered it installed the motor and wire drive added to stregth to the transon.

things that still need to be done. install esc and find battery (i seem to have lost a 6 cell pack of mine.) here are some pics

I am really interested in how well that hardware works for you. I have also converted my Apache to brushless and I am tired of flipping it everytime I run it.

Hi here's a thread on mine i used these parts with all the stock rear fin and steering unit and it works really good.
    I want to put a brushless in mine also....i took it out today for it's first run it's pretty quick in stock form with the flex shaft system installed .....but i was doing some zig zag turns and it flopped right over on it's lid!! Lucky i had a rescue boat and got it back to shore.... seems like it don't handel to well like it flips pretty easy?
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Yep, that is the issue with the stock outdrive, it wants to hook any time you turn too sharp at speed. The problem only gets worse as you add speed. I am hoping a change in hardware will improve the handling.

Quote Originally Posted by FE Wannabe View Post
    Yep, that is the issue with the stock outdrive, it wants to hook any time you turn too sharp at speed. The problem only gets worse as you add speed. I am hoping a change in hardware will improve the handling.
    That's interesting... wonder if i shorten the flex cable and make the prop come out the rear of the boat and leave a little space between the stock turn fin rudder if this would make it handel any better when the prop is not going through the turn fin and no longer turning with it?

Just thought of this I could leave the stock set up as is but lock it centered and use a stock super V27 steering rudder set up out the back...what do you think would this be a good alternative?
    Last edited by SweetZ28; 03-29-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Z28,
    I am no expert, but I think you will have a couple of problems with your idea. First, the outdrive is designed to turn the boat with directional thrust. If you fix the prop to no longer turn with the outdrive, I don't think the boat will turn very well. You would need a longer rudder instead.
    The other problem I see is that the prop shaft would be coming out of the transom at too much of positive angle, unless you use a strut mounted to the transom to run the propshaft through. I think that is why ProBoat changed their design on the nitro BlackJack 26 to use a separate propshaft and rudder.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreat1 View Post
    the blackjck nitro uses a seperate strut and rudder.
    PRB2824-100.jpg
    What size propshaft does the BlackJack nitro SS strut use? 1/8" or 3/16" or something else?
    Inquiring minds want to know.........

Quote Originally Posted by FE Wannabe View Post
    What size propshaft does the BlackJack nitro SS strut use? 1/8" or 3/16" or something else?
    Inquiring minds want to know.........

hey man sorry it has taken me so long to respond. the only time i really get to get on here is underway. so i know that the strut is not 3/16th inch because that is that size prop shart i am using and i had to drill it out.

as far as my progress on the boat goes i have everything installed and ready to run i am just waiting on batteries. i removed all the plastic undreneath the hatch and fiberglassed everything added some floatation in the nose and gotten everything in order. i can't wait to run the thing. i am going to run 2s2p for now and i'll have 3s2p on standby if i want more speed. i love the fact that i now have room for 2 batteries and i would suggest to everyone who has this boat to gut the thing. it lowers the cog so much. i think this boat is going to be really stable now. but i don't know how it ran stock as i never bought the rtr version just the hull and everything else seperate. as soon as i get home on the 6th i will post pics. the paint job on it is gay but i let my wife do it (trying hard to get her into the hobby)well that is all i have got for now i will let you all know when i get to the water.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreat1 View Post
    hey man sorry it has taken me so long to respond. the only time i really get to get on here is underway. so i know that the strut is not 3/16th inch because that is that size prop shart i am using and i had to drill it out.

as far as my progress on the boat goes i have everything installed and ready to run i am just waiting on batteries. i removed all the plastic undreneath the hatch and fiberglassed everything added some floatation in the nose and gotten everything in order. i can't wait to run the thing. i am going to run 2s2p for now and i'll have 3s2p on standby if i want more speed. i love the fact that i now have room for 2 batteries and i would suggest to everyone who has this boat to gut the thing. it lowers the cog so much. i think this boat is going to be really stable now. but i don't know how it ran stock as i never bought the rtr version just the hull and everything else seperate. as soon as i get home on the 6th i will post pics. the paint job on it is gay but i let my wife do it (trying hard to get her into the hobby)well that is all i have got for now i will let you all know when i get to the water.
    I may end up gutting mine after all, it gives you so much addtional space to work with. Thanks for the info.
    SoCal Fast Electrics|H&M Drifter S-CC1512/4S/T180A|Aeromarine Scorpion 32"- UL-1/4S/HM200A|Insane 34- CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|BK Bandit S-CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|Insane FE30 UL-1/4S/ETTI 150

Can you post a pic of the interior after the 'Gutting"?
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    Can you post a pic of the interior after the 'Gutting"?
    i won't be able to until after the 6th i am underway until then so i will get back to you on that. but until then watch this bannanna dance.

hey diego if you look at the thread below this one you can see pics of an apache with the interior cut out "gutted"

I saw those. I just wanted to see the boat I will be running with soon!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    I saw those. I just wanted to see the boat I will be running with soon!

OH! well if this is the only reason you wanted to see it i won't be able to post until um i was mid november. sorry guys. lol j/k give me until the 6th then i will post some.

well diego here you go. OH and i figured since i will probably be a fembot when i get up there i painted the boat accordingly lol.

Nice! She will surely fit right in.

Cool! Now all you need is decals. I can't wait to see it on the water, and it shouldn't be too difficult to see that!

I have a few boats that are difficult to see at speed, so your color choice is definitely a plus.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Great1,

Do you have any pictures of the transom? I would like to see how the hardware turned out.
    Thanks,
    Brad
    SoCal Fast Electrics|H&M Drifter S-CC1512/4S/T180A|Aeromarine Scorpion 32"- UL-1/4S/HM200A|Insane 34- CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|BK Bandit S-CC1515 1Y/4S2P/T180A|Insane FE30 UL-1/4S/ETTI 150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast